Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan T View Post
What is the expected life of an airbag...considering buying a 2001 Monaco Dynasty?
A long time, mine look good at 17 years, although I had to replace one that was damaged. At the time, I thought I'd go ahead and replace at least the pair, but after removing the damaged air bag I saw it was in pretty good conditions except for the cut in the side.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #30

airbags

Hi Guys,
Finally had a chance on a level concrete pad in our present RV campground, to get underneath the MH. Drove the coach up on heavy duty ramp(3, 4x4s bolted together) to get clearance. Checked the front HCV and the solenoids and no leakage. As previously mentioned the right DS front airbag is showing leakage and will be replaced in the next day or two. Just got it. While down under checked out the tank and all fittings. Major leak detected on the Haldex "Pop Off" PVR valve. Identified as KN 31200 1/4"NPT . PSI 150.
OEM N1178AA. Ordered the part from NAPA . Plan to install it myself. Will report results and NAPA number later.
Smiling at the moment.
Paul
paulusmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Paul, you might as well service your dryer while you have it off the coach. Get both the upper and lower service kits
Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Paul, you might as well service your dryer while you have it off the coach. Get both the upper and lower service kits
Great recommendation! Or replace it with a remanufactured dryer

Air dryers are often forgotten about on a coach.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #33

Airbags

Removed the old Haldex PopOff valve and replaced it with the new one. Stopped a major leak. The NAPA number I believe is R752780.
Will check into dryer filters. Thanks for the recommendation.
After fighting access on hands and knees for my 6'3" frame to the airline chuck on my Executive for way too many years I finally decided to do something about it. As many of you know it is buried in the upper left hand corner of the propane bay under the lowest slideout on the coach. So I removed the old chuck and installed a Kobalt 3' Lead in hose. Now it is simplicity itself to access the air line chuck. Should have done it years ago but sometimes I think it is because I too simple minded. Airbag should be installed tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #34

Air bags

Hi Guys,
Changed out the front DS airbag ( the one in front of the wheel) on my 2004 Executive, S Series, 10 bag, today. What an experience .There is a lot of erroneous information out there. Hope the Moderator is watching. When in our RV campground in the KC, KS area I will be very pleased to share some valuable information with everyone. Any way got the airbag replaced with a lot of ingenuity and we are on our way.
Thanks
Paul
Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #35

Airbags

Hi Guys,
We are now in the KC area at a campground and I have a little time to catch up.
Just wanted to share some information that may prove helpful to someone. As I previously posted I had a leaking DS front airbag. Playing it safe on a summer long 6000 mile trip I purchased Firestone W01-358-9376 which is the replacement for W01-358-8897. (with a 3/4" nipple). I purchased the replacement from Michigan Truck Airspring. Last Tuesday while in Denver I decided to replace the airbag when I discovered that a Tilden Auto Shop just across the street from Dakota Ridge RV park had a diesel mechanic with significant airbag experience could come to the MH and change it out.
Here is what I learned:
1. My 2004 Executive has 5/8" airlines running to all airbags. The mechanic was impressed. The airbag was obviously W01-358-8897.
2. The W01-358-9376 has only a 1/4" nipple fitting and it does not come with any type of reducer fitting.This of course required a frustrating effort to create an inelegant reducer with Parker brass fittings but we made it work. It did mean putting in the reducer fitting after positioning the airbag in place.
3. The 5/8" airline was difficult to work with and Stubby tools are almost mandatory.
4. Jacking the coach chassis slightly above ride height and turning the front wheels all the way to the right does provide adequate access to remove the airbag.
5. W01-358-8897 is not listed, as far as I can determine ,in the Firestone Catalogue even as "Obsolete" "Discontinued" or otherwise.
6. Skeptical about this I called Michigan Truck and inquired if they had W01-358-8897 in stock. They did not have the airbag but said they could get it from Firestone.
7. He said he would call Firestone and I asked him to inquire of Firestone:(a) Were the airbags still available and in what quantity and (B) did they still manufacture W01-358-8897.
8. He put me on hold for five minutes and then informed me that Firestone confirmed that it had a large quantity of and was still manufacturing W01-358-8897. I remain skeptical of this information and wish someone could verify the accuracy of the information. Perhaps the Moderator has the influence to verify the information. It would be tremendously important to many out there owning coaches using W01-358-8897 airbags.
I found this information perplexing. But in any event went ahead and ordered 2 of W01-385-8897 just to have on hand.
I will post the information on the Parker fittings we used to create the Reducer.
I have 2 questions. Does anyone know when Monaco changed over to 1/4" airlines? Does anyone know of an aftermarket reducer kit for the airbag change out?
Hope this helps someone out there so they don't have to repeat my learning experience.
Paul Metzinger
Old 06-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #36

Does your coach have ping tanks? If so I dont thing you could use the air bag with the small fittings. I have replaced 2 of the large hoses due to air leaks. My exec has different size air hoses than does the Dynasty. I guess one size does no fit all.
Jim E
06 exec
bigjim8499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #37

Airbags

Big Jim,
I am not sure about the Ping Tanks but I think my coach has them. Last time I was under the coach I did notice a very small tank located above the front tank and crammed closely above the tank and the floor of the coach. Will check again.
We installed Airbag 9376 with some extra effort and as far as I can tell it has the identical dimensions etc as # 8897. The studs all matched perfectly and it has the same bellow number. Anyway Firestone says it is the replacement bag. There is sufficient clearance for the reducer we installed.
As soon as I figure out how to include the photos I took of the entire assembly I intend to post them.
The Parker parts we used to make the reducer are as follows:
Reference: VS68NTA-12-8; Description: NTA X MNPT W/VIBRA SEAL
Reference:1/2 X 1/4 FG-S; Description: FG 1/2 x 1/4 STEEL REDUCING CONNECTOR.
Unless forced to use reducers I intend to install the #8897 airbag as long as they are available.
Hope this may help someone out there.
Paul Metzinger
Old 06-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #38

Airbags

Hi Guys,
Thought it might be helpful to someone out there to provide an update to my prior posts.
On page 18 of the 2016 Firestone Catalogue the two Reversible Sleeve airbags used on Monaco Coaches are conveniently listed:
W01-358-9376 with Bellow No. 1T15L-2 (1/4" nipple); and
W01-358-8897 with Bellow No. 1T15L-2 (3/4" nipple).
Since my 2004 Executive has the 5/8" airlines the latter is the one I needed and ordered.
Michigan Truck AirSpring reconfirmed, after calling Firestone again, that it is still producing W01-358-8897 and that it has 42 in inventory available for authorized distributors.
One final question. Does anyone out there have available the official Monaco air systems schematics later than the 2000 schematics that I have? Hopefully the later schematics will show the "Ping" tanks(s) on my coach. There appears to be a small tank above the front tank. Not sure about the back since I haven't yet had a chance to look. The front small tank appears to be very difficult of access.
This has been a very enlightening "learning vertical" for me.
Hope this helps.
Paul Metzinger