Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

Airing rear tires with Alcoa's ?

Airing up fronts. No problem.

Problem is the Rears. The outside rears with Alcoa wheels and the outside solid steel valve stem is facing inwards.

FYI this chuck won’t work:
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S986-Se.../dp/B000COMXI6
I even tried buying a 1/8 tube and bending it to clear the wheel but you really can’t get square on the valve stem and it leaks when trying to do so.

However this one appears that it will :
https://shop.myerstiresupply.com/ERP...106:3100008235
and is what my tech that serviced my coach a while back said is what he used to do so.

When I goggled I found that this type 180deg straight back air chuck seems to be very very difficult to find.

So you guys with rear Alcoa’s? and the solid steel valve stem is facing inwards, what are you using to airing up your rear tires and check the pressure?

Perhaps I’m missing something, or that there is an easier way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

Problem is the Rears. The outside rears with Alcoa wheels and the outside solid steel valve stem is facing inwards.

FYI this chuck won’t work:
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S986-Se.../dp/B000COMXI6
I even tried buying a 1/8 tube and bending it to clear the wheel but you really can’t get square on the valve stem and it leaks when trying to do so.

However this one appears that it will :
https://shop.myerstiresupply.com/ERP...106:3100008235
and is what my tech that serviced my coach a while back said is what he used to do so.

When I goggled I found that this type 180deg straight back air chuck seems to be very very difficult to find.

So you guys with rear Alcoa’s? and the solid steel valve stem is facing inwards, what are you using to airing up your rear tires and check the pressure?

You'll find what you need here:
Wheel Masters: Valve Extenders
Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We've got valve extenders on the dual wheels of the rear drive axle - so the valves for both tires are presented on the face of the exterior wheel. You have to visually follow the braided airlines a bit to determine which of the two wheels you're working with (dually interior or exterior wheel).

The wheels on the tag axle however have the valves pointing inward thru one of the decorative holes on the Alcoa wheel. I can fit the dual sided air chucks that are on my tire pressure gage as well as attached to my air fill hose thru the hole and onto the valve stem without a problem. However, working with the oversized TPMS sensor is a bit of a challenge. When I need to futz with the tag wheel tires - I have to have somebody watch as I move the coach and let me know when I've got the valve stems at the "5 o'clock" position. When the valve stem is in that position - it's easy to lay on my back and simply reach around to take off / put on the TPMS sensor onto the valve stem. It's a minor inconvenience - but by no means difficult to deal with.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
You'll find what you need here:
Wheel Masters: Valve Extenders
Thanks for you input.

I did see that option and my concern was wheel balance issues when doing so. As of now I am very happy with my tire balancing and am smooth as silk from 0 - faster than I should be driving mph.

Thanks again and will take your suggestion into consideration.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
We've got valve extenders on the dual wheels of the rear drive axle - so the valves for both tires are presented on the face of the exterior wheel. You have to visually follow the braided airlines a bit to determine which of the two wheels you're working with (dually interior or exterior wheel).

The wheels on the tag axle however have the valves pointing inward thru one of the decorative holes on the Alcoa wheel. I can fit the dual sided air chucks that are on my tire pressure gage as well as attached to my air fill hose thru the hole and onto the valve stem without a problem. However, working with the oversized TPMS sensor is a bit of a challenge. When I need to futz with the tag wheel tires - I have to have somebody watch as I move the coach and let me know when I've got the valve stems at the "5 o'clock" position. When the valve stem is in that position - it's easy to lay on my back and simply reach around to take off / put on the TPMS sensor onto the valve stem. It's a minor inconvenience - but by no means difficult to deal with.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On one of my previous coaches, I had to use two different air chucks to fill the outer and the inner wheels. When I bought new tires, the tire guys laughed at me and said they'd fix me up. ON the inner tire, they put a straight metal valve so it would extend through one of the holes in the outer tire and a straight one right at me on the outer tire. Both valves were in my face. My current coach arrived the same way. If a picture is needed, I can do that.
So if it worth the mount/dismount price, or when you need new tires, ask the tire dealer.
By the way, since our Alaska trip, when my buddy's valve extenders both leaked, I try to avoid extenders at all costs. Just my preference.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
SpaceNorman, (and RobRoy)
Either of these "Dual Tire Pressure Equalization Systems" will eliminate those problems.
Cat's Eye® - Link
Crossfire - Dual Dynamics

I've had the Cats Eye's on my rear duallys since '01...(for more than 120,000 miles).

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mine use to face in also, I just loosened the jam nut a bit and rotated the stem 180 deg. till it faced out. Your inside wheel will need a braided extension installed on it so it comes through the outside wheel, they make a plastic mount for the braided line and it fits the round hole on the outside wheel. You can see it at the 9:30 position in the second photo.
Here is the part

(Click on photo to zoom in)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05231.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	125725   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05235.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	125726  

Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

Braded valve extenders will leak. Just a matter of time when.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #10

Every hose will leak or fail eventually. Air, water, radiator, hydraulic, you name it.
I'll agree that the best way is to install metal stems that face the correct direction but I don't see any big danger in using the extensions. I use them and I've had a leak, I just replaced it. I think that even the equalization systems use extensions. They make a difficult task easy with no special tools needed just to monitor or add air.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #11

Thanks for everyone's input, gives me lots of options to consider

Tags
tires