Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Aladdin help needed

Hello all,

Wondering if the experts on this forum might be able to offer a solution...

Just got a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV that has the Aladdin system. The coach was built in mid 03.

We are having trouble with tank calibration. Everything else on this system works as designed, interface with the engine tranny, AC/DC interface, Trip logs, Rear Camera display, all good...except, we can not calibrate the tanks as the manual explains.

There is no screen prompt to enter the lockout 1218 code.

I can get into the System Options screen no problem. I can enter and set the tank capacities in gallons - fuel, fresh, grey,black.

I can go to the next item in the menu to change the display mode from Normal to Raw to Version, can change the screen and text color no problem.

Then I go to the Set Calibration screen that displays the current values of the tanks now, shows the Empty Fresh, Grey, Black lines and then the Full Fresh, Grey. Black.

I can move the cursor between all the lines on the left side of the screen up and down but CAN NOT and WILL NOT move to the right and select any of them to set the Empty values and Full values no matter what I do. The cursor won't move to the right in the fields that allow you to enter new values for these tanks.
The Grey and Black values displayed on both Empty and Full are Zero, the fresh is showing a 26 but my fresh tank is over half full. Both Grey and black should be at about 1/4 now.

So...what can I do ? I reset the Alddin system several times, same thing. Found the tanks interface module, verified the connections from every tank, no corrosion, the module has lights that flicker and seem to communicate with the brain. Unplugged that module and reconnected it several times...still no access to tank values in the Set Calibration screen...

Now... I read enough about the Capcon pressure sensors Monaco used are flaky at best and that SeeLevel II like the 709RP is the way to go.

I agree and would buy the system to retrofit....but once retrofitted with the Aladdin harness it requires calibration to be performed through the Alddin system so that the new sensors read properly...If I can't access the Calibration now, will I be able to do it with the new system ? I doubt it....

I need to figure out first how to get the calibration working and then the SeeLevel would function through the Aladdin....Am I correct here ?

Help !
Thanks in advance for assistance.

Marius
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My 2005 Panther has Aladdin model 440 version 2.05 and it actually works like the manual states. The Aladdin manual seems to indicate a unlock code is not required for your Model 100. Could there be an issue with the joystick? Does it blink when it refuses to select calibration lines? The non RevA joysticks have e tendency to lock up.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

The LED on the Joystick blinks when pushed to the right like it is supposed to do. In every other screen the "right" click (select) function works properly when the joystick is moved and the cursor moves to the right. Everything else works....
The only exception is the Set Calibration screen where the cursor stays on the left side of the screen and will not move to the right for any of the fields to allow entry of a different value like when you are supposed to be able to do a Dry Calibration based on height of the tanks and not have to fill them.....

The joystick will move the cursor up/down and back when in this screen BUT not to the right.....stumped...
Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like you have a firmware issue. I'd try your inquiry on Monacoers yahoo group. You might have better luck.
FWIW I replaced my capcon sensors and now have reasonable tank level indications after empty calibration. They work well until the temperature gets above 85F then they go haywire. At that point I fill they fresh water tank, use that until it gets low via visual check then it is time to dump so the level indications is not critical. That may be a partial work around for you if you cannot solve your issue.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

Marius, I read your post several times and there is one step missing. I don't know if you just left it out or what. Maybe this doesn't show on your screen and that's the problem

Step 1. - Select Systems Options (you have that OK)
Step 2. - Select SYSTEMS SETUP (you never mentioned selecting this screen. Is it there?)
Step 3. - When Prompted Enter the code 1218. (you know this)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

Correct , I am going into Systems Setup but it does not ask for a 1218 code, I can go directly into Set Tanks Capacity etc.

Went back to the coach, had all the power shut off for hours..... and I checked...I have a 100 series system version 1.07....
From what I gather, is it possible that only subsequent firmware versions allowed the Dry Calibration when you enter a number based on tank height and not this early one ? The manual from 04 says that I should be able to do it that route...I must be doing something wrong...

The Raw number for Fresh is 20 now ( as erroneous as that is because the tank is over half full). If I move the joystick to the right in the Calibration screen, the value for Empty for Fresh for example changes to this 20...I can do the same for the Grey and Black which now read 0 for Grey and 1 for Black...

If I logically think this through, it takes the values the sensors reads at the time which means my sensors are probably shot....
So...is this working as intended and I may only be able to calibrate tanks in this version after I change the sensors (or go the Seelevel route) where the Empty and Full calibration values will be read by new sensors ?
I don't get why I can't enter values as the Dry calibration in manual says it is doable.....
Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

Since I have a 2004 Monaco I will go out tomorrow and see what version I have but I bet it is the same as yours
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
2004 Sigs have a model 440 like my 2005 Panther according to the Aladdin troubleshooting guide. The 2004 Dynasty is listed as a model 100.
My latest thought is there might be a problem associated with the Tank Interface Module (TIM) and the firmware can't update the calibration values.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Calibration Problem with Aladdin Tanks Sensors

Marius,

I have had my 2004 Monaco Dynasty for only 2 months, but I purchased it from my father who owned it since new. I could have written every word in your description of the problem! I have the identical problem, however according to my father, he said that the calibration when screwy after he replaced the House batteries. That's odd, because the manual says that the only time you would need to calibrate the system is if you are installing it new or replacing sensors or other major components of the sytem.

I doubt that disconnecting the house batteries had anything to do with it... I opened the battery disconnect and discovered that the Aladdin system works just fine off of the chassis batteries. My father was told to NEVER turn off the Aladdin System on the Pilots Dash (right hand side, black Toggle switch) because that could cause programming problems. He went so far as to wedge a rubber component in the switch so it could NEVEr be shut off. When I first got it, and was itnkering with the calibration, I turned the switch off (the rubber piece was not there) for 1 hour and came to to try to calibrate the Fresh water, Black and Grey tanks. Still No Joy! Just to remind you, I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM you've described... I couldn't have written it better myself!

Have you found any ideas? The message to enter the code is the most disturbing part for me... there is simply NO METHOD of entering a code. Unless it involves pushing the joystick 1 time, then 2 times, then 1 time again, and finally 8 times. But NO... I tried that even. I wonder if there is a dip switch setting on the brains of this thing. My brother has a 2005 Beaver and said that when he calibrated his (3 times in all) he didn't remember having to enter a code (or if he did, it was so intuitive he just doesn't remember having to do it). I am going to ask to see his manual and will let you know IF I learn anything.

By the way, I have been trying to calibrate with the Grey and Black tanks empty and the Fresh Water Full (110 Gallons). I also get the same type of eroneous readings for both the empty values and the full values.... there is no pattern.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Scott
Lansing, MI
sknopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #10

Hi Scott,

I have concluded that the sensors in both Grey and Black tanks are bad. Fresh water one is iffy at best. Our early system version does not need a code to enter into the calibrations.

Instead of replacing them and have this problem again (not to mention bad design in sensor placement location prone for failure ) , I went the other route and got the Garnet 709-RP Seelevel II system + Aladdin interface harness.

While I have not had a chance to install it yet, it is something I plan on doing in the next 4-5 weeks. It will tap into coach interface and give me an additional digital readout in the wet bay in case the Aladdin goes haywire....

Garnet 709-RP Seelevel II Tank Monitoring System

Marius
04 Dynasty
Old 08-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have the model 100 Aladdin and the manual says to calibrate all the tanks by moving the joy stick to the right when empty and again when full. They are pressure sensors and need a reading when empty and again when full. It does not matter which one you do first (empty or full), but it needs to be done so it has the base reading to use for calibrating the pressure in between.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I had the same problem with mine. I finally gave up and installed a stand alone see level system. I figure I'll replace the whole thing with silver leaf at some point.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Update on my issues posted on August, 2014 re Aladdin Tank Sensors and calibration.

I was able to locate a schematic of the pressure transducers which are used in the OEM Monaco Aladdin Tank Sensors. It shows that the Red and Black wires of the Telephone cable (Flat 4 Conductor Cable) should have +5 Volts DC at the sensor. The third wire (Yellow on mine, but told that Monaco wasn't consistant with which of the 2 remaining wires were used) will return a voltage which correlates to the pressure which is experienced by the pressure transducer. The Spec's for that voltage are as follows:

Voltage
Input = 5VDC
Output: min = .150mV +/- .1 mVDC
Resolution = 110mVDC per 1 inch H2O (At Stand Barometric Pressure of 29.92 inHg)
Max Output = 4.7VDC
Current = 5mADC

From what I understand, these pressure xducers are NOT vented to atmosphere, which means that as you climb in altitude... say to 3,000' ASL, your tanks will read less full. But for most of us, the amount of difference is negligible so I won't get into that here.

First you need to determine if there is 5 Volts DC across the Black and Red wires going to your sensor. In my case, I found that there was NO Voltage and traced the wire to a point where it had been damaged (on the Fresh Water Tank) and after fixing the wire, everything went back to normal.

The Grey Tank Sensor caused me a little more trouble... I couldn't locate the problem at first. But I did determine that I was NOT getting the voltage as required. Since I couldn't lay my eyes on every inch of the wire, I tested the voltage at the "Box" which is located in the dash. I cut the wire about 20 inches from the box and there was still no power. I concluded that the box must be the problem, but just to make certain, I made up a length of wires and connected them to the box. Voila'!! 5 Volts DC. There was a problem directly at the connection to the box! After correcting that issue, I was then able to Calibrate each tank Sensor and everything has worked fine for the last month (Since approximately 12-7-2014).

Just thought I would let everyone know what I found in my specific situation. Good Luck!
sknopster is offline   Reply With Quote