RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #1

Aladdin only one monitor

2005 H.R. Navigator Aladdin not displaying on front screen. Working fine in the bed room. I pushed reset button but didn't fix. Joy stick red light is on. Also radio screen is working fine. Will take for a drive tomorrow hopefully it will pop on. Loll. Any ideas? Thanks

Showman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The video signals come from the Aladdin VCM and then go to the various displays via RCA video cable. It may be that the cable has come unplugged for the front display.
Check the backside on the display for a loose/hanging cable. If that is plugged in, check that it didn't come unplugged at the Aladdin VCM.
Where to find the Aladdin? Could be anywhere.
On my coach it is behind the wood back wall of the cabinet above drivers side window (where the reset button is located).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aladdin_VCM_1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	220263  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

The light on the joystick should flash every 5 seconds or so. Solid red indicates power but no communication. After checking for loose connections you could try switching joysticks. I know some have had luck with unplugging and replugging in connections.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

I have noticed the light on joystick does flash. I am leaving Saturday for a trip,so I will try to figure this out before then. My fuel gouge doesn't work so I use aladdin to tell me how much fuel is left. Always amazes me how accurate it is.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #5

I tried to figure this out today. No luck.. Found the aladdin box,nothing unplugged. Wiggled everything plug and unplugged still no display. Unplugged the joystick moved it to bedroom and it worked there,so I think it is ok. Looked behind the monitor wiggled and unplugged no different. So my thinking is aladdin system should be ok since everything is working in bedroom. Joystick must be ok. So problem might be with the monitor stereo unit? But it displays all radio function just not aladdin? How can I hook up a temporary screen to see if that is my problem? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps you can get an extension RCA cable (make plug on one end and female on the other) long enough to reach the front TV (or bring in a spare TV) then unplug the cable from the dash monitor and using the extension cable connect to new display. If it works then you will know the dash monitor is bad.

It's getting harder to find TVs with RCA video inputs these days, so you may need to get an adapter to HDMI
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...0aAhd-EALw_wcB
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Showman

If you have not had any success yet I had same problem this past year, front slowly quit working, back monitor continued to work good.

When checking for loose cable or anything visible on Aladdin VCM (under cover in front of steering wheel), that was not the problem, so just to experiment I moved RCA cable for front kenwood monitor over 1 plug on VCM video outlet and reconnected....voila front monitor started working again.
Norweta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showman1 View Post
I have noticed the light on joystick does flash. I am leaving Saturday for a trip,so I will try to figure this out before then. My fuel gouge doesn't work so I use aladdin to tell me how much fuel is left. Always amazes me how accurate it is.
Not to hijack your thread but could you briefly explain how you check fuel level with the Aladdin? We are on a long trip now and after the very first fill up upon leaving the fuel gauge has been stuck on full. When I get back it wont be a problem to fix. Just curious how you use the Aladdin in this manner. Thanks.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #9

Although we've converted from the Aladdin to the Silverleaf, the information is essentially the same. I use mine, over the fuel gauge, too. It doesn't tell me tank contents, but it does tell me the fuel burn since the last reset, which I do on every fill-up.

I use that information to help ease the pain of working with the fuel retailers that demand knowing how much we are going to purchase when we want a fill-up, and it's usually very close.

Whatever happened to those great times when one could pull up to the pump, insert the purchasing card, select the fuel type/grade and fill up the tank?

If you burn a lot of diesel with the AquaHot or the generator, the problem thickens, a bit.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Not to hijack your thread but could you briefly explain how you check fuel level with the Aladdin? We are on a long trip now and after the very first fill up upon leaving the fuel gauge has been stuck on full. When I get back it wont be a problem to fix. Just curious how you use the Aladdin in this manner. Thanks.
Two ways... Select Trip Meter...

1) Select Trip Leg> Clear and Log each fuel load

2)Select Trip Fuel> Show (usable) gallons at fill up

You can then toggle there to check remaining or fuel used. Runs off ECM so generator fuel is not logged as far as I can see.

PS ...Lots of better color 7 ' screens on Ebay, I have two so that I can see Toad and Engine Monitor
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Two ways... Select Trip Meter...

1) Select Trip Leg> Clear and Log each fuel load

2)Select Trip Fuel> Show (usable) gallons at fill up

You can then toggle there to check remaining or fuel used. Runs off ECM so generator fuel is not logged as far as I can see.

PS ...Lots of better color 7 ' screens on Ebay, I have two so that I can see Toad and Engine Monitor
Thanks.....We are leaving today headed from one camp ground to another. Will give it a try.

BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor