Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Alignment & Steering Wheel Center

Talked to a local frame & alignment center that does a lot of work on trucks & Motorhomes. That shop is 1 of only 3 in my area.

Wanted a price on getting a Safe T Plus (model 41230) installed along with a front wheel alignment. - Price seemed just a little high but they've done work for me in the past and they have a good reputation....Been in business since the 1970's and they are a dealer for the Safe T Plus product.

Mentioned to the owner that I wanted to make certain that the steering wheel was 'centered' ( it's a little off center right now, but doesn't pull & doesn't feel like it's out of alignment ) after the alignment. - He proceeded to tell me that on my particular coach ( Roadmaster Chassis ) that there may not be an adjustment available to center the steering wheel.

Guess my question to all the knowledgeable folks on here, is he correct. I've never run into this kind of thing before and for whatever reason, it sounds kind of strange to me.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

In some instances, it's possible to loosen the coupling located below the floor board and move it a spline or 2 in either direction to align the steering wheel. Another option is to remove the steering wheel and move it a spline or 2 until it's centered and In most all other instances, moving the tie rod ends will also align the steering wheel. This common method is done by centering the steering wheel and locking it in a centered position then the technician aligns the tires.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Craig (Crazy Knight) helped me center my wheel. Loosen the bolt on the coupling on the shaft down near where the pedals are. Move it 1 or 2 splines and test. Came out perfect, took 15 minutes!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Had the Safety Plus installed at Kaiser Brake and Alignment. They also centered the wheel and totally aligned the steering and air bag ride. What a difference it made. Also, this past year at Q Mike Hughes installed the Watts Steering Link and now I have finger tip steering and not thrown all over the road.

John and Kay
2008 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
LilGTO71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Moving any spline connection is the coarse adjustment and in cars it is usually not possible because the connections are keyed to be in a particular position. The steering wheel spline adjustment should only be used to line up the steering wheel to the center position of the steering box. The adjustment between the steering box and the wheels is done with the drag link. On a beam axle the tie rod only adjusts the toe in. On RoadMaster beam axle setups the drag link is usually formed for tire clearance so it can't take advantage of the left/right hand threads and rotated like a tie rod. On the ones I have seen the rear rod end on the drag link is permanently fixed to the link. The front rod end must be removed from the pittman arm and rotated for adjustment. It also has to hold the drag links position for the tire clearance. Because of this arrangement you may not be able to get the steering wheel perfect because the adjustment is limited to one full turn of one rod end. If this adjustment can't be made with the thread length of one rod end then re-positioning the pittman arm spline may help.

Tags
steering