Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Alladin reading, little help please

Just got a , new to us, 07 beaver marquis. When I plugged the 50 amp cord into a 50-30 converter to charge the batteries this messages came up on the Alladin electrical screen "AC IMPUT OPEN GROUND". No clue what this means. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Just got a , new to us, 07 beaver marquis. When I plugged the 50 amp cord into a 50-30 converter to charge the batteries this messages came up on the Alladin electrical screen "AC IMPUT OPEN GROUND". No clue what this means. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Check the 30a receptacle on the pedestal to see if the circuit is grounded. Is the power outlet at a campground? If so have them check it. If you are using a 30a dryer outlet at your house it may need to be wired properly for the function you are trying to use it for.
Have you used this outlet for this function before?
Ron
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

A dryer receptacle is a 240V receptacle, with two hot leads (240V line-to-line, and 120V line-to-neutral on both legs), a neutral and a ground. That would not be friendly to your typical 50-30 converter devices.

Your typical 50-30 converter is a 110 V only device. It should tie the two hot legs of your coach power cable together, and carry them through to the single hot leg on the male side of your converter. The neutral leg and ground leg of your coach power cable should pass directly through to their respective legs on the male side of your converter. That way, your ground and your neutral come through, and both of the 110V legs in your coach are fed from the 110V leg on the 30 amp supply.

If you have a multi-meter, you could de-energize the 30 amp receptacle with its circuit breaker. Then, using the voltmeter function, VERIFY that there is NO voltage to the cabinet that the receptacle is mounted on or in, from any of the receptacle terminals. If all three terminals show zero volts, AC, then put the meter into the ohms mode, and check the resistance to the cabinet from all three of the receptacle openings. You should see an extremely high resistance on the terminal that is the hot leg, and nearly zero resistance from both of the other two. If the center lead does not show essentially zero resistance to the cabinet, the open ground is in the panel. If it does show essentially zero resistance, the problem could be in the coach power cable, or the incoming connections in the coach.

In any case, in other than a campground power pedestal, before using any adapters, be absolutely sure that your connections will be compatible with your coach power cable configuration. Consult a qualified technician or electrician if you are at all unsure.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

reading

The power I am using is the same power all the coaches are using at a RV storage place. I just have to assume all the power is wired correct. If I have a ground plug missing off one of my extension cords would this cause the reading? I don't know if I do but I might. Thanks for replys guys.
safe travels
Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do NOT leave your coach plugged in with an OPEN GROUND.

Find out where the problem is. Easiest method is to borrow or get another adapter and see if you get the same reading. WalMart has em cheap. If the problem is in the adapter, throw it away. If it's in the pedestal, alert the management. In any case, DO NOT LEAVE THE COACH PLUGGED IN......Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

alladin

I had this same problem when I plugged in our 04 Beaver. If I used a plug with a ground it would trip the breaker from power pole. Yesterday I used an extension cord that had a ground and it threw the gfi at the pole. I put a splitter on the end of the coach 50 amp cord instead of the single 50-30 cord and the alladin system says one leg isn't on??? All I want to do is charge my batteries. Anyone???
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I had this same problem when I plugged in our 04 Beaver. If I used a plug with a ground it would trip the breaker from power pole. Yesterday I used an extension cord that had a ground and it threw the gfi at the pole. I put a splitter on the end of the coach 50 amp cord instead of the single 50-30 cord and the alladin system says one leg isn't on??? All I want to do is charge my batteries. Anyone???
That splitter needs both sides plugged in to work. I had the same problem when I plugged in at my daughter's house. I had to run two extension cords to plugs in her garage and put a 20 amp to 30 amp adapter on the 30 amp plug to get everything to work.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote