Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Allison fluid and filter change

I have the 3000MH Allison with the deep sump that I am going to service.
Where is the best place and price to get the fluid and filters?
Is there any thing special I should be aware of ?
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do a search on the internet for the filter, I believe the part number is
29548988 but check to make sure. Ebay has several listed.
29548988 | eBay

You may want to check the type of oil you have, Castrol Transynd oil is the recommended oil now. This is always hard to find at a good price. The last time I bought some over the counter it was at a Clark Service for OTR trucks. I've also ordered from places via the internet but there are not many listed now. Here is one
Transynd Synthetic Fluid | DMAX Store

I've changed my oil once and then ~3 years later did a filter change. The first time I checked with the nearest Allison service center and they wanted +~$600, YIKES.

It's not hard, the filters are accessed via 2 cover plates, just make sure you keep everything clean and when you go back be careful with the bolts so you don't cross thread and check the torque requirements.

If you drain all the oil out it may take ~6-7 gallons, changing just the filters takes less, last time I changed the filters I only drained 1 gallon out.

You should be able to check your transmission oil level using the touch pad, pressing both the up & down arrows. Make sure your level is good before you start or note if it is low. Catch all the oil you drain out and put this much back in (unless it showed you were low) and then ~1 quart for the oil trapped in the filters.

Good Luck

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Make sure you use the Allison filters, don't use the after market ones, they don't flow the same. I had mine changed last fall, and as a result the trans temps increased 20 degrees higher. Had an Allison shop check it out and they said it was the filters, changed them and back to normal.
kent342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Well, you should go up on the Allison section of IRV2. First thing is unless somebody has changed your fluid and put in the wrong stuff it came from the factory with Transynd fluid and does not need a fluid change anytime soon. Yes on changing your filter but top it up with Transynd afterwards. Use the auto fluid level check in your Allison shift pad to see how much fluid you need because according to Allison that is far more accurate than the dipstick and the preferred method. The transmission has to be above 140* f and let the mh sit for about with the motor running and in neutral then ush the up and down arrows on the shift pad at the same time and it will tell you if Ok or if you need to add. Try it first and see before you change the filter
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Might be good to send a sample out for testing. This will give you a good baseline on the condition of your fluid and if anything is wearing or contaminating the fluid.
Just had my transmission checked. Best $35 I have spent.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought Shell Rotella ELC at Tractor Supply for about $14.50/GL for the concentrate.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

I think the number which jacwjames gave is likely correct. I just changed mine in a 05 MH3000 Allison and it was easy. Be sue to notice the torque values given for the two filter cover plates and the drain plug. There is even a online video which covers this. I used Transynd and found my best price at a local Allison Distributor (under $35 per gal). I ordered the filters earlier from United Fleet Parts, but U might get at the distributor for a better price. At 10 yrs old and way past due on filter change, I decided to change fluid rather than test and just do filters.. It takes 19 qts. I had Transynd in mine, so U will need to get more info if changing from regular fluid.
David White '05 Windsor
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Duh,,,,,,answered wrong post. Time for a nap.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Duh,,,,,,answered wrong post. Time for a nap.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Check rvchassisparts. I think you will find their price very good. If I remember with a minimum order their was no freight.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #11

I just looked up the latest service recommendation interval when the transmission fluid if 100% TES 295 certified fluid is used which is the Allison Transynd fluid. The first filter change is at 5000 miles and then at 75,000 mile intervals after that. The fluid change is at 150,000 mile intervals.

Be very aware of ATF products that say they are TES-295 approved for Allison transmissions. Use only TES-295 fluids that have been tested and certified by Allison. Allision publishes a list of these approved fluids and believe it or not Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF or Amsoil ATF is NOT approved.

Also, according to Allison never use Dexron fluid in the transmission. It is not compatible with the seals in the transmission.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Henrik, this could happen to you some day! Small tablet, fat fingers, scrolling too fast, background distractions, sleepy eyes, trying to multi-task..... I suppose any two of above could result in answering the wrong post. There are other factors as well which I would never admit to. I felt like kicking myself except I would have probably lost my balance and fell over. I hope you guys didn't get distracted by this.

Also wanting to be sure about about the condition of my trans fluid, I plan to follow recommendations on the Allison thread to get an oil analysis. Service records show trans fluid and filters changed (with "HD Synthetic") 2 years ago at 24K. Coach now has 42K. From white paper towel "test", it looks like Transynd but I'm not positive that it is.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
By the way, for reference, the Sacramento Cummins shop quoted me about $72 for the filters and $40/gl for Transynd.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
rmcb -- Roy - The Air Force let you work on airplanes for 30 years ? Amazing -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, fluid