Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Allison Trans. started leaking on the way to Bike Week in Daytona

I am new to this so here I go again.
On the way to Bike week in Daytona
I noticed the rock gurard on the MH was wet with some kind of oil.
I checked and Automatic fluid was leaking out of bottom of torq converter
houing.
I finally found a dip stick under the floor in the bed room and checked it and it was about a half of a Qt. low.
What was real funny I tried to check it at the back of the MH like the oil and
when I took the pull handle out there was no dip stick on it.
Can any of You helpful RV's help with suggestions and where
would You carry it to get the leak fixed,

A new person to this forum.

Phil in GA.
Phil Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Phi: You should add a signature with info on your units. Make, year and model. I looked at your profile and it is a 2004 Endevour with 11,000 miles. I don't think that is a common experience. You can check the fluid levels via the tranny keypad. As for a repair I would suggest a truck repair center or an Allison shop. Stay away from RV dealers for this type of repair.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #3

From another forum:
The following procedure will allow you to check your transmission fluid level from inside the vehicle, and it is also more accurate than checking via the dipstick.

To enter the transmission oil level display mode, press the UP and DOWN arrow buttons simultaneously on the mode selector. A two-minute countdown begins when the following conditions are met:
  • Engine is at idle
  • Transmission sump oil is at operating temperature
  • Transmission output shaft has stopped
  • Transmission is in neutral
  • Oil level sensor is functioning properly
The display should show *8 and then count down to 0. Note that it will take two minutes to complete this countdown. During the countdown, the display flashes and a count (8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1) occurs reducing by one digit every 15 seconds.
NOTE: Failure to meet any of the above conditions will stop the two minute countdown. The shift selector will then display one of the following Oil Level Codes to show the reason for the countdown interruption. The countdown will resume where it stopped once all conditions have been met. Shift selectors with single digit display will display the codes one digit at a time. Shift selectors with two digit displays will display the codes two digits at a time.

OIL LEVEL CODECODE DESCRIPTIONoL 0X Setting time too shortoL 50 Engine RPM too low oL 59Engine RPM too high oL 65Neutral not selected oL 70Sump fluid temperature too low oL 79Sump fluid temperature too high oL 89Output shaft rotation detected oL 95 Oil level sensor failed
After the two minute countdown, the shift selector displays the oil level data as in the following examples:
OIL LEVEL READINGSMEANING OF READINGS o, L, o, K Fluid level is correct o, L, L, o, 1 or OL, LO, 01 Fluid level is 1 quart low o, L, H, 1 or OL, HI, 01 Fluid level is 1 quart high
To exit the oil level display mode, press the NEUTRAL button or simultaneously press the UP and DOWN arrows twice.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

Phil,

Your Allison has a way cool internal electronic method for checking fluid level. Here is the drill:

1. Transmission at operating temp.
2. Chassis level.
3. Parking brake applied.
4. With transmission in neutral, press both up/down arrows simultaneously.
5. The display window will do a count down from 7 or 8 to 1 which takes up to a couple of minutes.
6. When finished it will display: O-L-O-K. This is for oil level ok. If it is: O-L-L-1; that is oil level, low 1 quart. If it is: O-L-H-1; that is oil level, high 1 quart. I believe it can read up to 5 qts high or low.
7. It will repeat this display until you high both arrows again or hit the N button.

Most coach builders quit putting a dipstick in the rear soon after this became available. Allison will tell you if there is a difference between the dipstick and the electronics, always believe the electronics.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Phil, I have the same coach and it has no dipstick. I check my fluid levels as stated above.

Mike

Tags
allison