Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 04:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Temperature on most Allison 3000 and 4000 run close to/ just below coolant temperature, as most applications have the transmission cooler in the radiator/engine cooling package.

So, on hills where coolant temperature climbs, so will transmission temperature. Because the torque converter is locked in 3-6 gear (and higher speeds in 2nd) torque converter slip is a non-issue.

The only time the transmission itself will heat up is in stop and go traffic where the torque converter isn't locked up. So, if stopped for very long, shift to neutral.

i agree.

I have a bluefire digital gauge on a tablet while driving and the temperatures between the digital readout and the mechanical gauges can differ from 5 to 15 degrees. just something to keep in mind
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fresh synthenic ATF will go 250 degrees no problem..
Since you dont seem to have much history here, I would not base my state of ATF on anything you have offered so far.

Take a sample, and send it to Blackstone-labs. They will tell you what is needed.

Mine was only 35K miles, but it still had low viscosity, so I need up changing 30 quarts.. two full pain drains.

ON my pre tier 4 ISC, it will never go above 190, but like so others said, it depends on coolant temp. DPF and tier 4 motors will be at least 210 degrees and after 3 hrs or more, the trans temp will be close.

cliffs

If you make a number of 5plus hr drives, and you have a 2010+, trans temps will be easy 210 or close. The ATF wil need closer monitoring for good longevity.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did not have a problem with the transmission. the thing I noticed was when I came down a step grade with the jakebrake on it seemed to warm I checked the fluid with the pad and it showed 4q low. so I took it to a Allison shop and had it serviced. the fluid looked good seen no problem. said if I still seen high temp's to let them know.My coolant temperature runs from175-185 the transmission runs around 195-215 on highway and as high as 230 in traffic
Denny53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #18

My 3000 used to run 190-200° until I replace the filters and oil, now it runs 10° cooler.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Fresh synthenic ATF will go 250 degrees no problem..
Since you dont seem to have much history here, I would not base my state of ATF on anything you have offered so far.

Take a sample, and send it to Blackstone-labs. They will tell you what is needed.

Mine was only 35K miles, but it still had low viscosity, so I need up changing 30 quarts.. two full pain drains.

ON my pre tier 4 ISC, it will never go above 190, but like so others said, it depends on coolant temp. DPF and tier 4 motors will be at least 210 degrees and after 3 hrs or more, the trans temp will be close.

cliffs

If you make a number of 5plus hr drives, and you have a 2010+, trans temps will be easy 210 or close. The ATF wil need closer monitoring for good longevity.

Agreed having it tested then you will know for sure.

" Synthetic oils and Trans fluids " ....this wording in the world of lubricants in most cases is a VERY generic term and a sales gimmick IMO.

Many companies advertising synthetics are nothing more than pimping products meeting a min spec to make their legal eagles happy as to not get not get sued for false advertising.

The key word on synthetics is PAO synthetics and PAO synthetics are by far superior and not cheap and they dissipate heat much much higher rate than Dino fluids do.

Happy Trails

Tags
allison, transmission