Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Allison transmission

I Have a 2005 holiday rambler navigator I am just wandering what temperatures that you guys are seeing. I'am running about 195 225 is this close to normal
Denny53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #2

Mine runs about 160* on the flats and hills goes up slightly.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #3

Mine runs 160-180 on the flats/slight hills and in the longer hills it can get above 210.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #4

Temperature on most Allison 3000 and 4000 run close to/ just below coolant temperature, as most applications have the transmission cooler in the radiator/engine cooling package.

So, on hills where coolant temperature climbs, so will transmission temperature. Because the torque converter is locked in 3-6 gear (and higher speeds in 2nd) torque converter slip is a non-issue.

The only time the transmission itself will heat up is in stop and go traffic where the torque converter isn't locked up. So, if stopped for very long, shift to neutral.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #5

About 160 for me.
sawmillman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #6

I agree with Brett's description ; a little depends on your trans fluid cooler location ; mine is a heat exchanger in the lower rad hose , so in most conditions trans fluid temp is slightly lower than engine coolant temp.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #7

We have the Allison 4000 and I believe we typically run below 190, in the range that others above have mentioned.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ready for our first trip of the season in Michigan

Hello Friends.

Just finished De Winterizing the 2007 Revolution LE40E this weekend. Water system flushed, water heater flushed, water tank filled with water the the proper amount of bleach for the 100 gallon tank. Flushed and filled and run through the system 2x and added new coach whole-house water filter and water is in excellent shape.

All fluids up to spec and all filters changed this past year with exception of the Tranny. Bought a 5 gallon pail of Allison Trans Synd and filters and did a fluid and filter change. Fluid was pretty dark almost black but the filters had no sign of metal or solids in them. Getting my 6'4" frame under there was a bit of a push but got er done. NO leaks.

Greased every zerk I could look up and find included radiator shaft and drive shaft and universal joints.

Bring it on!
Old 04-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #9

Thought I'd share what the fine print of the Allison Manual talks about...

If you run an exhaust brake or engine brake that's considered severe service and the transmissions shipped from the manufacturing point have standard dyno oil, or a blend of dyno and synthetic oil.... depending on what transmission, and when it was built...

Allison says that for engine and exhaust brakes the oil change frequency needs to move to the severe category, and for my transmission that's every 50K miles....

Plus, they want you to change the oil from what was shipped from the factory to 100% synthetic oil...

So of course I read the above when I was at the 65K mile mark and decided that improve the life of the transmission I should in fact change it... mine was shipped with the 50/50 mix.... so I chose to use a 100% full synthetic oil.... I like the fact that this transmission has a drain plug.... and easy to access filters... my pan is the deep pan so I ordered filters from ATCO through Amazon.... best value... I was thrilled to see that they came with the Allison Package and part #.... this was a true value.... I chose AmsOil since my neighbor has access to it.... and I know that they have good stuff.... but I suggest you use the brand you prefer and can easily get....

The oil change went off without a problem.... I refilled and ran the engine until the transmission came up to temperature.... and then went through the oil level check per the manual...
Old 04-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #10

I personally have no interest in using Amsoil anything in anything I own. Ever.

But on topic of Allisons, NO Amsoil product is approved for use in their equipment. See example info direct from Allison for yourself:
https://allisontransmission.com/part...highway-fluids
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post

But on topic of Allisons, NO Amsoil product is approved for use in their equipment. See example info direct from Allison for yourself:
Agreed. Assault claims their Trans fluid is designed to meet Allison's specs but it has never been tested or approved by Allison.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post

Amsoil meets the TES 389 specification. I wouldn't think Allison would let them put their name on the back of the bottle if it didn't meet their 389 spec. Amsoil is just not listed by name on Allison's website as one of the oils they have tested to date.

I've been using it for over two years in my MH2500 with good results.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #13

I don't know how Amsoil doesn't get sued out of business with their "kinda sorta almost" meets this or that specification. It is NOT on Allison's officially approved list is all I'm saying and you can see that for yourself on the website.

There are quite a few folks who "believe" in Amsoil products for some reason despite any and all facts are shown them that other brand products suit a purpose better and are usually much less expensive. Never have figured out why that is. Some people are rabid about it. Weird. Some folks just use Amsoil because they heard it was good somewhere and put no more thought into it. I can see that.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:08 AM   #14

They make darn good 2 stroke oils . Ran certain kinds in my Jet skis other for Stihl chainsaw and weed eaters. My nephew ran bike shop and distributor gave to me at cost. Nothing else I own runs WideOpenThrottle all the time.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission