Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I hit 5,000 miles on my 07 Diplomat with the ISL400 and Allison MH3000 transmission. I had the filter changed today and the shop charged me $247.55 for 5 gallons of Transynd. I thought I read somewhere that it would only take a couple of quarts to top it off after the mandatory 5,000 mile filter change.

How much Transynd is lost during the filter change?
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I hit 5,000 miles on my 07 Diplomat with the ISL400 and Allison MH3000 transmission. I had the filter changed today and the shop charged me $247.55 for 5 gallons of Transynd. I thought I read somewhere that it would only take a couple of quarts to top it off after the mandatory 5,000 mile filter change.

How much Transynd is lost during the filter change?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I seem to recall that it less than 2 quarts. I bought a gallon ($35) and still have over half left. Sounds like they did a complete drain. I backed off the screws a little to break the seal and let it drain into a small bucket for a few minutes. You must have a pretty early '07, our coach is an '06 and my sn was just slightly in range for the 5k miles main filter change.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It was manufactured in about June or July 2006. Just missed the "do not change filter" change over.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Luke...I have put a shortcut down to the Allison Transmission Forum for more exposure.

Hope there are a few more people hanging out there that can help!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Luke,
I just had mine changed at Buddy Gregg in Dallas for a total of $235.71 so you're in the right ball park. What most don't know is that Allison sells only one kit that contains both the main and lube filters with a price of about $47. Mine needed 6 quarts to bring it back up to OK, 4 for the main and 2 for the lube. So my total parts/fluid total was $79.22 and the rest was labor ($110/hr), misc shop charges, and tax. You might want to confirm that they did change both filters, because you did pay for it.

CC
Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I was charged:

1 hour labor @ $ 97.00
5 gallons Transynd 247.55
1 filter kit 76.95

TOTAL $421.50

I will give Allison a call tomorrow. This was a Freightliner dealer in Odessa, TX that handles Cummins and Allison. The local Cummins dealer did not work on Allison.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
About a week after my filter change, I purchased one gallon of Transynd here in Fort Worth just for spare fluid for $33. It looks like they charged you nearly $50/gallon and they didn't need to change the fluid. It also looks like they overcharged you on the filter kit.

CC
Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I seem to recall that it less than 2 quarts. I bought a gallon ($35) and still have over half left. Sounds like they did a complete drain. I backed off the screws a little to break the seal and let it drain into a small bucket for a few minutes. You must have a pretty early '07, our coach is an '06 and my sn was just slightly in range for the 5k miles main filter change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have been clearer. If you change both filters 5 gallons is about right. Changing out the main filter is less than 2 quarts. I only changed the main filter at the 5,000 mile mark.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just checked the cost of my filter change back in June 06. I had the trans filter changed and an oil & filter change on the generator for a total cost of $240.00. This was done at a Cummins West facility in Bakersfield. The same facility did an oil change and lube on the engine and changed the fuel filters for a cost of $410.00. Can you tell I'm not a DIY sort of guy.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
[QUOTE]I should have been clearer. If you change both filters 5 gallons is about right. Changing out the main filter is less than 2 quarts. I only changed the main filter at the 5,000 mile mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have been clearer also. When I picked up our coach after the main filter change, the transmission was cold so I couldn't check the fluid level. When I checked it after getting the coach home, I noticed the shift panel indicated 1 quart low. By the time I got back to the service department it indicated 3 quarts low. Before adding any fluid, they changed the lube filter and then had to add 6 quarts to bring the level up to OK.

Based on Sixpack98's post above, it appears only one filter should be changed at a time to minimize fluid loss, but I know they didn't put 5 gallons of fluid in ours because I was with the tech when he was doing the work.

Can anyone explain this?

CC
Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #12

When I changed mine on the 05 Dipomat, I used less then 3 qts of oil to top it off. I changed both filters at the time. You remove the main filter and cap, clean off the cap and put a new filter on it. Remove the secondary filter and replace it with the first one. Clean second cap, install new filter and put it in the first spot. The cap plates are the same and can be interchanged. I was suprised at the amount of fluid I didn't lose. I was expecting more.

I am getting ready to do my Camelot in a couple weeks. Hope it goes the same.

Carl
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The following Allison Service tip bulletin describes, among other things, the fluid loss for changing each of the filters.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDe...wnloadID=5&Preview=1

The Allison site is a wealth of info on our transmissions.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #14

So it looks like there will be "No Filter" change at all if you have a tranny that's been produced after mid 2006 because it has high capacity filters in it. Thus no more 5k mile primary filter changes. Awesome ! !
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote