RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Altenator replacement

First, I want to say that I have been following this forum for about a year and love the depth of knowlage the flows from it. I have been fortunate in that I have never had a situation that made me want to post. Until now that is.

Last Friday in perpetration of heading to NASCAR this week I fired up the coach to bring it down from the shop to the house so we could pack and load at leisure. It had been sitting for a couple of weeks. As soon as it fired up I heard an unusual noise from the back and began to smell some thing burning. I shut it down and got out for a walk around. At the engine area the smell was strongest. This was a clue.

Hopped in and raised the access cover in the closet and sure enoughf the drive belt had burned through. The reason this happened is that the altanator was frozen. Gulp. I called Monaco and was told that a replacement was available. For $1295.99,

The local Cummins shop had a belt but I really did not want to shell out that much for an altanator so I took it to an auto electric shop. This place has a great reputation and will do a rebuild for $200,

I know there are differing opinions on rebuilt parts but I feel ok about this. I pick it up tomorrow and will get it installed and we will be on the road on Wednesday. I will let everyone know how this works out.

GLORYROLLS again!
Gloryrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad to hear you're getting fixed up.

Personally, I think rebuilding your own alternator is the only way to go. All too often, the new replacement alternator doesn't work quite right.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Glad to hear you're getting fixed up.

Personally, I think rebuilding your own alternator is the only way to go. All too often, the new replacement alternator doesn't work quite right.
I agree although when ours went out I did buy a new one. The old one is in the shed waiting for me to find a place to rebuild it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

HI , I had the same ,or close Detroit 60 series the rebuilt is now 3 yrs and doing just fine good luck with yours Ecurbing Monaco ex 45 2005
ecurbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
When I bought my coach (an all electric) it came with a spare alternator. I had the original fail one day couple of years ago while on the road. I was able to find a Cummins service Center and have it replaced. The rebuild on the 270 amp was about $400 when I got home. Then last spring while getting the coach serviced at Monaco Coburg the replacement failed. Luckily I had the rebuilt one with me. They installed mine within an hour and off on the road we went. My recommendation would be alternators these rigs use are so unique that carrying a spare is being road smart.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

New (rebuilt) alternator installed. New belt on. 14.2v at chassis batteries with engine running. So far so good!
Gloryrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, you can do 5 more rebuilds for what you saved. Maybe even find a good core, get it rebuilt for a spare and still be money ahead.

We all need an extra storage compartment on these things just for the spare parts.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We left on Sunday for a five week trip from the west to east coast. Since my coach is an 05 with the original alternator, I felt it was prudent to have a spare. I bought the original equipment Leece Neville, 160 amp pad mount alternator from a company called ASE in Oregon for $318.00 (new). I thought that was a reasonable price for peace of mind.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
We left on Sunday for a five week trip from the west to east coast. Since my coach is an 05 with the original alternator, I felt it was prudent to have a spare. I bought the original equipment Leece Neville, 160 amp pad mount alternator from a company called ASE in Oregon for $318.00 (new). I thought that was a reasonable price for peace of mind.
Don
Do you have the P/N for the alternator?
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had mine blow out on the road last winter just north of Atlanta on my way to Florida. Did not know it was the alternator at first and had a roadside RV service replace the belt. 50 miles down the road the engine quit because the alternator wasn't supplying power to the engine. Once I figured that out I jumpered the house batteries to the engine batteries and started the generator. Made it all the way down to Florida. When I researched IRV2 everyone said that a rebuild on this alternator was not possible. Contacted Monaco and they had to have one built for me in Ohio. Shipped it to me for around $1,600. Local service guy charged me $300 to put it in. Oh well........

Glad you were at home when yours went out.

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
When I researched IRV2 everyone said that a rebuild on this alternator was not possible. Contacted Monaco and they had to have one built for me in Ohio. Shipped it to me for around $1,600. Local service guy charged me $300 to put it in. Oh well........
Pat
Ouch!
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #12

I'm just curious, but why was the alternator not rebuildable? Too badly damaged? Also are Monaco alt really that expensive?
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
IRV2 posts on this alternator indicated that when it was rebuilt it didn't last very long. When I talked to Monaco, they told me that is was a special alternator that was made specifically for them. 200 Amp and more output posts than what is normally on an alternator. They did NOT have one in stock since it was out of production. So, they had to build one specially for me. I had them overnight it and that added another $100 or so to come up with around $1,600. I was at the mercy of Monaco and camping 1,000 miles from home.

It's nice to have the luxury of a Monaco Dynasty, but, it also takes some expensive maintenance to keep it running (as all of you know).

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote