Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Alternator Bad!

On my latest trip from New England to Florida, the alternator in my '05 Windsor went out. Parked the coach for the night at a rest stop, and in the morning the warning buzzer went nuts. The alternator seems completely dead. Limped on to FL by jamming a piece of paper under the battery boost switch (to cross connect the batteries to the coach batteries) and running the generator to keep the batteries charged.

I've no idea where to start looking for an alternator for this beast. Any other '05 Windsor or similar owners had to replace one?

Any advice is welcome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
KIX

Have your alternator rebuilt. By doing this you are assured of a correct fitting.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Google starter alternator repair shops where you are. Around $3-400 to rebuild correctly. If you can remove it and carry in, otherwise a couple hours labor too.

If you want a new one go to a big truck dealer Kenworth would be my choice, better parts prices.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Ours quit on our last trip too, limped in about like you did. I pulled it when we got home and had it cleaned up and rebuilt, with new bearings and voltage regulator, for 135. (160 amp Leece Neville) at a local automotive supply company.

3-400 will buy a new one. Heavy duty Leece Neville truck and bus alternators

I agree a truck repair facility (not an RV dealer) is who you want to talk with. To get any kind of specifics, you'll need to get the make and model number off the alternator if possible.

I hear about too many people ripped off while on the road. Just trying to supply a reality check here. Best of luck!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I got a brand new one from our local Freightliner dealer for about $275.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Most all NAPA auto parts stores will have one.......more times than not.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had to buy one for our 2002 DSDP, took me two tries to get the right one. Naturally the first one I bought was on sale and was supposed to be the right one. Found the correct info online and still had to take the old one with me. The one on sale was less than $200, the correct one was over $400. Then I took the old one in and had it rebuilt for $190. Brush carriers got wet and the brushes seized, plus the end bearing had rusted some.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Are u sure the alternator is the problem? One day our alternator guage dropped below 12 volts and I did the same as you to get home. ( boost switch open with genny running) . Turned out to be a bad connection at the battery. Cleaning the battery cables solved the problem.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

Been about 5 yrs sence I was in the business but we used to buy 160 alt at Freightliner or Peterbilt for less than $150. Try your local truck shop
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Based on my experience, I would like to encourage you to find a place in the area to have your alternator rebuilt.

If that's not possible, and you must buy a new alternator, then my next advice would be to keep your old alternator. Do not let it disappear from your possession.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
We too have had our alternator fail not once but twice. The first time we were on the road and the failure took place while driving. We found a Cummins Service Center and they took care of us. Oddly we travel with a spare so when they told us they couldn't get us one for 3 days I asked if they would install our spare ( I didn't want to come across as cheap) and we were back on the road in an hour. I took the bad one in and had it rebuilt and kept it as a spare.

The second time we were at Monaco in Eugene about two years later. We just had a list of service items tended too and as we were about to depart the alarms started to sound. Yes, the alternator was failing so they swapped out the bad one with the one I had. Now, having a spare paid off as again we were on the road in an hour.

My suggestion is to always have a spare as a large Leece Neville is not a common part anywhere.

2004 HR Navigator
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Are u sure the alternator is the problem? One day our alternator guage dropped below 12 volts and I did the same as you to get home. ( boost switch open with genny running) . Turned out to be a bad connection at the battery. Cleaning the battery cables solved the problem.
I'm pretty sure. I changed out the Chassis Batteries since the Generator was having trouble getting the voltage above 12.7 VDC with them cross-connected. With the new batteries the generator set and inverter easily got all the batteries above 14V. If the battery cables were the problem neither the generator/inverter or the alternator would be able to charge them. (Although I was not sure until I replaced the chassis batteries, when I also found the previous owner had put the wrong (deep cycle) batteries in)

I guess the batteries had a shorted plate...which may have something to do with the alternator failing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
We too have had our alternator fail not once but twice. The first time we were on the road and the failure took place while driving. We found a Cummins Service Center and they took care of us. Oddly we travel with a spare so when they told us they couldn't get us one for 3 days I asked if they would install our spare ( I didn't want to come across as cheap) and we were back on the road in an hour. I took the bad one in and had it rebuilt and kept it as a spare.

The second time we were at Monaco in Eugene about two years later. We just had a list of service items tended too and as we were about to depart the alarms started to sound. Yes, the alternator was failing so they swapped out the bad one with the one I had. Now, having a spare paid off as again we were on the road in an hour.

My suggestion is to always have a spare as a large Leece Neville is not a common part anywhere.

2004 HR Navigator
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
Good Idea... I'll see if I can get a new or rebuilt one and have the original rebuilt as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
To bad you're not near home....there is a place in Oregon that has one of the best prices for the alternator you need. I bought a new one as a spare for a long trip last year and then sold my Monaco.

This should be the model you need Leece Neville*110-912 - 12V 160 amp ALTERNATOR
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator