Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aluminum Roof?

Looking at an 01 Knight, notice specs have a "peaked aluminum roof". I'm familiar with aluminum roofs being on low end trailers so I'm wondering what the deal is with this as comparables from other manufacturers have rubber if not fiberglass. A quick search of this forum turned up one post indicating the aluminum roof is a good thing. But I notice that higher level models in 01 use one piece fiberglass and by 07 Knight had gone fiberglass - so if aluminum is such a good thing why is that.

Anyway - whats the prevailing wisdon on problems, maintenance- all the usual for the "peaked aluminum roof" - and I'm just guessing with the insulation rain noise wouldn't be an issue?

thanks....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All metal roofs are noisy. How much more than a Rubber roof...????

The one problem with a metal roof is the aluminum can corrode and get pin hole leaks due to acid rain and other pollution.

We had a couple of trailers with aluminum roofs and no problems.

The peaked issue probably means it is not flat.

Ken
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
JDT

My 05 Ambassador I bought new 4 yrs ago has the aluminum roof. Not sure of the thickness but it certainly is far superior to the roof of a fifth wheel I once owned. It had the shiny roof that was about as thick as aluminum foil. It would dent if you walked on it. My Ambassador, on the other hand, has a very solid feel and has a good coat of white paint that may have been applied by the manufacturer of the aluminum, instead of painted by Monaco. Not sure about that one.

That said, I have no complaints. It is easy to care for and clean. Once a year I put a coat of 303 Protectorant on it. Not really sure how it compares soundwise to a fiberglass roof, but it is quiet enough that it does not bother us when it rains.

The one concern I have had is what happens in a heavy hail storm. Ours stays indoors when at home and we have encounted only one hail storm while on the road or in camp. That happened the first weekend we owned it but we were parked under some trees which evidently deflected the hail. We did get about a 3" round limb that crashed through the bathroom ceiling vent. If it had hit the roof I'm sure we would have had a nice big dent.

Jim
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

I have owned rubber roof'd trailers and currently have aluminum on our 02 Kinght. I much perfer the duribility aspect of the aluminum roof. I believe it would take alot of neglect before causing a problem, not that I would advise you to neglect your roof. By all means keep it clean and sealed and it will provide years of trouble free sevice. Our Knight is by far the most quite rig we have owned to date, including rain.

I had a discussion with the service manager of an upscale RV lot about roof materials a while back. While the high end rigs on his lot had the fibrglass roof, his pesonal opinion was that the aluminum roof had fewer problems over time.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Greg.....I have an 05 Diplomat with an aluminum roof. Monaco went to fiberglass in the Diplomat line in 06 and Knight line in 07. I think the one piece fiberglass roof has less chances of leaking. I would NEVER own another rubber roof. It would be a deal breaker.

On ours, it has been trouble frre and I was it once a year. It's also painted white and doesn't absorb the heat. We usually don't know it's raining unless we see it or go outside.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Our '98 Endeavor has an aluminum roof and we have had no problems with it over the years.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #7

Our last coach was a 2003 Beaver Santiam, which was the same coach as the Monaco Diplomat and the HR Endeavor. It had a two-piece aluminum roof. There was a seam down the middle, front to back, with what looked like Eternabond covering the seam.

It was quiet, sturdy, and maintenance free. It felt more solid than the fiberglass roof on our current coach. It did not chalk the way that our current roof is starting to do as it ages. I liked it.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I've got an '02 endeavour with the aluminum roof.
It is great. Almost maintenance free.
They probably switched to fiberglass because of the cost of aluminum.
The big thing you have to watch is that the aluminum roof and the fiberglass front and rear caps expand and contract differently in heat/cold, so the seam between them is covered with eternabond tape and then caulked with dicor. If you're in a 'real' climate, you need to clean out and replace that dicor about every 4 years or it'll leak from all the flexing. Maybe not a problem if you stay someplace with no temperature changes. (i.e. far from Oregon).