RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Am I missing any?

Need some help, 2000 HR Endeavor 38WDS, My outlets on the front by dash 110volt is not working, it says GFCI protected, my fridge outlet not working, my basement on right side, not working. All say they are GFCI protected.
I have 3 GFCI's I checked everyone and all of they are working: one by the bathroom sink ok, one by the dinette ok, one by the power cord in left rear of basement where power cord stores ok. Anyone familiar with this can give me a clue of where another GFCI might be?
I removed my panel cover and checked my breakers one by one and all have power hate to say it but I am stumped.

Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Need some help, 2000 HR Endeavor 38WDS, My outlets on the front by dash 110volt is not working, it says GFCI protected, my fridge outlet not working, my basement on right side, not working. All say they are GFCI protected.
I have 3 GFCI's I checked everyone and all of they are working: one by the bathroom sink ok, one by the dinette ok, one by the power cord in left rear of basement where power cord stores ok. Anyone familiar with this can give me a clue of where another GFCI might be?
I removed my panel cover and checked my breakers one by one and all have power hate to say it but I am stumped.
When you say it says GFCI protected I assume you mean there's a sticker on there?

If one and the same circuit there's a GFCI at the head of the daisy chain somewhere.

You say all GFCI outlets are working. Did you test them? Did you plug something in or are you relying on the little indication light?

Do you have an inverter charger?

Is the fridge a residential unit? The reason I ask is that it would then be wired to an inverter.....

Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

The one by the front says GFCI protected (only a sticker) the one on the right basement has a sticker also the one by the rear tv isn’t working either. The three GFCI mentioned, are actual GFCI outlets, I am testing with a meter they are set and working. There must be another one somewhere in the coach but I cant locate it. My inverter seems to be working properly.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #4

The fridge is a norcold 1200, Everything was working when I started out from Orlando a week ago but it quit.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #5

OK.... afraid there's two different things happening here.

Fridge.... are you trying to run it on 120 and is the outlet dead? Is it propane capable?
Can you switch to propane to keep the food cold while you figure the electrical problem out?

Outlets.... either there is another GFCI you're not finding.

Or.... your inverter is a pass through inverter. What make model is it? How do you turn it on?

You say it seems to be working..... Have switched to inverter mode? Are the outlets in question then powered?

Have you looked for breakers (small round ones) on the inverter?

Do you understand the pass through concept? (If that is what's applicable)

We need to understand more how your system is configured before we can point at possible faults. And details.... it's VERY hard to diagnose electrical problems from a distance without all the details.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Am I missing any?

Inverter is a Trace Engineering legend series I. I shut it down and back on again, There are to toggle bakers in the front of the inverter that say ac out 1 and ac out 2, they are on, I already turned them off and back on. I am plugged to shore power, my fridge is fine working on propane, there is not 110 at fridge outlet. There are 3 GFCI and I agree with you there has to be a fourth one the question is where? I thought probably there was one in the laundry closet (we don’t have a washer we use it to hang clothes, I emptied it and no GFCI there
Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	237976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	237976s
Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

Am I missing any?

Sorry I meant to send only one
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #9

OK cool....Those 2 breakers are the two circuits OUT. If I was a betting man I'd say the one is your fridge, the other the outlets.....

So this is indeed a "pass through" setup, which means there is also a CB IN to the inverter charger. It can be on it (back side) it can be in your main AC panel.

So one fault possibility is that there is no AC TO your I/C. Is it charging? What's the house voltage?

There is also an internal transfer switch inside the I/C.... this is the switch that decides there's AC coming IN and sends it through to those two circuits. So another fault may be that this internal transfer switch is not working. (not to be confused with THE transfer switch that decides between shore power and generator) So even though there IS AC to the I/C it's not passing it through. This switch is to prevent both supplied AC and Inverted AC going to those circuits.

So...... First try to find the breaker that protects the AC TO the I/C. My guess.....30A so that we can verify if there's AC power TO the I/C
Old 03-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

Meanwhile I'm trying to find the manual for this thing.

And after thinking about this some more.......... there IS the possibility that the inop outlets and the fridge are on the same circuit.... and that the other "out" circuit is another set of outlets.

So, an easy test you can perform is turn BOTH those breakers OFF and see if anything else dies....

If it does we know the supply and the internal transfer switch are working.

AND... I just noticed the green light is on? Which says "inverting" which means there's no AC... but then both circuits should be powered.....

Gonna have to do some poking here....
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #11

So way back when Trace was bought out by Xantrex.... there is a page with discontinued manuals.... but the Legend series do not have the right numbers and the ones that are there don't seem to apply, however they all seem to rely on protection at the AC distribution panel... So that philosophy may have carried to this model. Look on your AC panel for a 30A breaker labeled "inverter".
Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 AM   #12

Just found a manual for the inverter, I do not have a breaker labeled inverter in my ac panel.
When I turn off one of the two breakers in the inverter, the outlet that powers my coffee maker goes off, manual says that there is a 30 amp breaker in inverter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	238011
Old 03-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Just found a manual for the inverter, I do not have a breaker labeled inverter in my ac panel.
When I turn off one of the two breakers in the inverter, the outlet that powers my coffee maker goes off, manual says that there is a 30 amp breaker in inverter Attachment 238011
That manual is not the exact one.... I saw it. But yes, there may be a supply breaker in there. Doesn't really matter because.....

If you lose another circuit turning the two OUTs OFF there IS power to the inverter. So now you need to trace starting at the other out....

Sounds like you are (again) looking for a GFCI outlet.....

(Also means your fridge and the outlets are one circuit. Interesting.)

If it was me I'd next take the cover off the AC connections and verify that there IS 120V on both those out circuits.... You have a multi meter?

Then it's wire tracing time which can be challenging.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #14

I'd start by opening up the GFI outlet box you think could be the one offering up the trouble. For example, if the circuit is dead on the left side of the coach, then maybe a GFI receptacle that's installed on that side. Check to make sure wiring is in place and not loose. Then while you're in there, check to make sure voltage is being passed through the receptacle. If it is, then you know you have a problem down the line. You can then go to the next receptacle and check connections and voltage.

It would be nice to have a wiring schematic so that you knew which receptacles were on each circuit but if you don't, then you just have to trial and error it until you narrow down where the problem is.