Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Another First...

Plan on plugging into shore power for the first time since I bought the Navigator; looking for critique of procedure as well as suggestions as to what I should do prior.

1. All breakers off, chassis and battery interrupts on.
2. Plug into mh, then into pedestal.
3. Mains, then inv/con breaker, then switch on inv/con
4. Fridge, outlets buses.
5. Turn on water heater, water pump (unless not needed for city water).

Good? Bad? Your thoughts...
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #2

Buy a surge protector if it doesn't have one already. Plug the surge protector into the pedestal with your power cord attached. Turn on the pedestal power if not on already on. Let the surge protector do it's cycle and then it will let the power go thru to your transfer switch, and power the MH. On ours there is no need to switch breakers into the off position. We leave the battery disconnect in the on position as when traveling it needs to be on the run the fridge, lights ect. The only thing not on when plugging into shore power are the AC's, heaters, TV's, and water heater. If really concerned, read your owners manual which may have a set procedure. We leave ours plugged into shore power pretty much all the time except when traveling or exercising the generator.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Buy a surge protector if it doesn't have one already. Plug the surge protector into the pedestal with your power cord attached. Turn on the pedestal power if not on already on. Let the surge protector do it's cycle and then it will let the power go thru to your transfer switch, and power the MH. On ours there is no need to switch breakers into the off position. We leave the battery disconnect in the on position as when traveling it needs to be on the run the fridge, lights ect. The only thing not on when plugging into shore power are the AC's, heaters, TV's, and water heater. If really concerned, read your owners manual which may have a set procedure. We leave ours plugged into shore power pretty much all the time except when traveling or exercising the generator.
That is how I do ours as well. Just have the pedistal breaker off prior to plugging in.

Turn it off prior to unplugging as well.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I only switch the breaker off at the pedestal then switch it on after plugging it in. I don't have any 120 volt items running when I switch it on.

I'm sure your plan is plenty safe but maybe overkill
Old 11-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

I never do all of that I only make sure the breakers are off at the pedestal .
But with that said I have a Progressive HW50C that samples the power for
proper polarity etc before it connects the power .
At the same time it has a read out that I mounted where my elect reel is
and it tells me the voltage and amps on each leg .
If there is a problem with the power it gives me an error code and does not
connect
I do try to not have hi amp loads turned on even though the air cond have
their own delay .
The main reason I watch the hi amp loads is to protect the contactors in
the transfer sw .
I highly recommend you look into a Progressive HW50C it will make life so
much easier , safer and simpler .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Right now I'm running the Freedom25 inv/conv that was initially installed in this thing. So far, it seems to not have melted or blown up the batteries, and is doing its thing well. If needs be, I'll definitely keep that other product in mind. Always good to be prepared if an upgrade is in order!

Did not get to plug in; quite embarrassed to find that the cord I bought was NOT the correct one for this particular mh. Unfortunately, my Navigator shore plug is the older 3 prong 50A, not the newer 4 prong variety.

Sooooooooo...

We took a little trip aboard The Argo to Boise, to visit my boys and girls at Dennis Dillon RV. And yes, that is a plug, as these folks have been UNBELIEVABLY helpful in finding some of the things I need. So, we were able to trade the cord I bought from them earlier for the correct one. We also got to eat supper under the dinette's 'mood' light for the first time. It was a bit redneck, as we were parked in the Fred Meyer parking lot at the time, but it counts!

Yeah, we could get used to this...
Old 12-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Plugged the old joker in; did the sequential power up. Nothing blew up and the inv/conv buzzed happily without popping or smoking. Batteries shown holding charge and being maintained at around or below 10A level. Tried some more house systems and figure the ones not working QUITE as advertised, probably have a popped breaker or burnt fuse. Will check all the panels.

Propane tank cracked; main furnace, fridge and stove tested. Fridge (Dometic 7030, I believe) took a bit to figure out it should start up, then began humming. Got REAL cold in the freezer REAL quick. Hazzah!

All 3 burners lit clean and clear, and the main furnace is EPIC at heating that thing up. No leaks or bad ignitors or burners! Yay!

Jacks and genset next. Another cross the fingers and appeal to heaven...
Old 12-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoPilot View Post

Did not get to plug in; quite embarrassed to find that the cord I bought was NOT the correct one for this particular mh. Unfortunately, my Navigator shore plug is the older 3 prong 50A, not the newer 4 prong variety.
You sure your coach isn't 30A? I've never heard of a 3 prong 50A plug.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #9

Yuppers. Labels on the rear bulkhead next to the plug, as well as on the plug itself, specify 50A. Checked the paperwork that was still in the coach; specs say system is 50A. Confirmed with three different RV parts outfits that this 3-prong twist-lock is the older variant of the 50A plug.

The cord does go from a 4-prong straights with round ground to this particular plug. So this isn't a wildcat or a hybrid...thank the Good Lord!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

They were probably using the 120 volt 50 amp plug around the same time boats were using them.

They lasted a few years before they went with the more common 120/240 volt 50 amp plugs and cords.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #11

3 prong 50 amp twist lock connector has the ground built into to twist lock.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #12

There are 2, 50 amp twist lock plugs. 1 is 120 volts only. The other is 120/240 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60713-Configuration.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	185730  
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So, does someone make an adapter or dogbone to convert this to the standard 4 prong plug?
Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #14

I made up my own dogbone adapter years ago. I retrofitted my 5ver w/ the 50a twist lock and upgraded my 30a RV straight blade extension cords with 30a twist locks. What a difference in voltage drop! The straight blade cord ends will heat up and melt; why the RV industry doesn't drop the straight-blade configuration and go with twist-lock? Ok, I know........
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote