Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 11:56 PM   #1

Another GFCI problem.

I've been continuously fighting my main GFCI since I bought the coach. Two times while on the road I've ended up removing it and joining the load/line hots with a wire nut just to get things working. Then I'll get home, spend a bunch of time trying to troubleshoot, put everything back together and it will magically work.

The main outlet circuit in my coach seems to run from breaker #5 to the GFCI over the bathroom sink, then kitchen outlets, TV cabinet over the driver, outlet at passenger feet, an outlet in the curbside basement, fridge and then two in the bedroom. When that GFCI trips it takes out all the other outlets (I understand it's for safety but it's a real pain when it won't reset.)

I've checked each outlet along the way with a cheap outlet tester and they all indicate normal. I've also taken apart all of them and inspected the wiring and nothing was obviously incorrect. It will work fine for weeks and then trip and immediately trip again seemingly at random.

The only "clue" I have is something weird I discovered while rewiring it this eve. With coach plugged into 20a circuit and main breaker off, the outlet is off.

Turn on main 50a breaker and #5 breaker..... Still no power at outlet.

Turn on inverter. Now 110v at outlet.

Turn off inverter. Still 110v at outlet.

I'm not sure if this indicates a problem with the main transfer switch, the inverter transfer switch or something else but it seems really odd. Could be related or a red herring but I'm pulling my hair out.

Anyone have any ideas??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 02:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The power problem sounds like the inverter internal transfer switch. If itís the original inverter it is 20 years old.

I believe this outlet is on the inverter side of your power system and if the inverter is having intermittent issues then the gfi would be effected.

I would verify all the connection on the inverter including the grounding wire from the inverter to the chassis. Inspect and clean each one of course will all power off at the shore and battery cutoff.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:30 AM   #3

The inverter bonds the neutral and ground when its in invert mode and opens that bond connection when its just a charger.

In invert mode its the power source and by code should be bonded.

That relay could be acting up. Look thru the inverter manual about it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #4

Good information Twinboat , two things are strange, first is the outlet being dead at one point and alive at another. Second is why the gfci trips. A gfci monitors the load and balance of current going thru the device, when an imbalance of 5 milliamps occurs the device will trip sensing some current has another path to ground. . Seems strange that something up stream would cause tripping.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Good information Twinboat , two things are strange, first is the outlet being dead at one point and alive at another. Second is why the gfci trips. A gfci monitors the load and balance of current going thru the device, when an imbalance of 5 milliamps occurs the device will trip sensing some current has another path to ground. . Seems strange that something up stream would cause tripping.

CLIFFORD
Good point. When I disconnect the load side of the GFCI it stops tripping. This tells me that the issue is likely downstream of the outlet.

The breaker/inverter issue could be something different?
Old 06-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

Look for moisture in a receptacle.

Also, these coaches are temperamental about the GFCIs that will work
properly. If a GFCI has been replaced it might not be quite acceptable
I think you can look in your inverter manual to see the GFCIs they
recommend.

My 03 Windsor uses 2 GFCI breakers, one feeds the pass side, and TV
receptacles. I bought what looked like the same thing at Lowes but it
trips while traveling. I swapped it with the other breaker and it seems
ok with that breaker. So I'll need to find an exact replacement and hope
it'll work properly then.

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #7

Had an idea in the shower just now -- can I wire the load to the GFCI on the line terminal instead of the load terminal? This would leave my bathroom sink protected but allow the remainder of the outlets to bypass the GFCI? Hard to imagine a situation where someone would be exposed to water + a handheld appliance outside of the bathroom area?
Old 06-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
Had an idea in the shower just now -- can I wire the load to the GFCI on the line terminal instead of the load terminal? This would leave my bathroom sink protected but allow the remainder of the outlets to bypass the GFCI? Hard to imagine a situation where someone would be exposed to water + a handheld appliance outside of the bathroom area?
Kitchen, outside?

If you do that I suppose you could then install
a GFI receptacle in the kitchen.
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post

Also, these coaches are temperamental about the GFCIs that will work
properly. If a GFCI has been replaced it might not be quite acceptable
I think you can look in your inverter manual to see the GFCIs they
recommend.

That was my problem.

Ever since I have had this HR, there have been problems with the GFCI tripping when around salt air but only when using the inverter. Last summer I decided to resolve it.

First I replaced the GFCI. Then I replaced all the outlets on the circuit. Then I ran an extension cord from from the non-GCCI microwave circuit to see if the problem was something like the old DVD player.

Trying to find an intermittent electrical problem can be frustrating.

Last winter I replaced the GFCI with a 20 year old model recommended in the inverter manual.

No problems since.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Last winter I replaced the GFCI with a 20 year old model recommended in the inverter manual.
Interesting! Manual specs:

Leviton 6599
Pass & Seymour 1591RI 4A957
ACE 33238

The only one I can find as new-old-stock is the Leviton which is $12 on eBay. It's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work I think I'll likely eliminate the GFCI acting as protection for the entire circuit and instead install GFCI receptacles at the other outlets. I'd much rather individual outlets are causing faults instead of one outlet taking down the entire coach.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #11

Get a volt,ohm meter,
Then trip the gfci.
Go to one of the affected recepticals and check neutral to ground. It should be open with no resistance. Any reading is where you have leakage to ground.

Thatís how I found my problem. There was moisture in the outside receptical
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have a Xantrex inverter, here's a list of which GFCIs work with which model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xantrex Witch GFCI Recepticles Work vs Inverters.pdf (22.4 KB, 9 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post

The only one I can find as new-old-stock is the Leviton which is $12 on eBay. It's worth a shot.

That what I got except from Amazon.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #14

Alright some more info - if I connect the load to the line the GFCI blows immediately and my outlet tester tells me downstream that the outlets are ground/hot reversed.

If I wire the GFCI correctly everything seems to work fine on inverter or shore power.

If I start the generator the GFCI trips immediately and won't reset. Again, outlet tester tells me ground/neutral reversed. But oddly enough if I bypass the GFCI, the outlets work if I plug anything in?

Tags
problem