Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

Another Monaco With Air Leaks

Just like several other owners out there, we are attempting to resolve our air leak problems. After repairing 2 air leaks loud enough to hear, we located more leaks. All four air control valves on the air tanks that feed the air bags were leaking. Replace all four. Found one large leak and four smaller leaks between the firewall and outer skin of the motorhome. Largest leak was from a threaded reducer that attached the air fitting to a type of manifold on the firewall. Evidently someone tightened the fitting until the reducer cracked. Many of the push fittings were leaking, replacing all of leakers. Waiting on fittings from Mcmaster Carr. They are a good source for DOT fittings and prices are very reasonable, better than NAPA. Anyway, the pressure relief valve for the front tank is leaking. Does anyone know the pressure setting for that valve? Cannot locate that info. Thanks to all of you on this great forum. God Bless
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Should be 150psi.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. With the info you provided I was able to do some research and locate the valve on eBay. It is either a Haldex or Wabco Meritor air brake safety valve 150 psi 1/4 npt. Here is a pic of the leaking valve. Thanks and God Bless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	318996  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Photo of the manifold on the firewall between there and the outside skin of the motorhome. This pic was taken after replacing all the leaking fittings. The cracked reducer is the one at the top right. It was a PITA to replace as there is only room for one hand. Had to remove the wiper assembly to access these hoses and fittings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail-6.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	318997  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #5

More photos of leaks. Currently waiting on fittings from Mcmaster-Carr to complete repairs. Best price I have found on fittings so far. If you purchase fittings from them, request all fittings be sent in the same container, or they may send them separately and charge additional shipping fees.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail-3.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	318998   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-4.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	318999  

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	319000   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-5.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	319001  

Old 02-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Great job tracking down those leaks, always a fun task!

Looks like a few of your leaks are from Pressure Protection Valves. We replaced one of these last year, and looks like we have another to replace this year. If I was smart, we would have replaced them all at once! Live and learn .

Sounds like you have a source for parts. But if you need the part number our 2001 Signature used a Haldex KN-31000 Pressure Protection Valve from the factory.

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	319016 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	319017 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	319018

Looks like you've got a good handle on the project! If it helps, here is the post we made on our valve replacement: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/upg...ml#post5288851

All the best and stay safe when crawling under there,
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #7

Thanks for looking at my post Josh. One of the first things I found leaking was a control valve on the back tank. It was leaking so bad you could hear it. So I decided to order all four and replace them. It's a good thing I did, as the other three were leaking also. I found them at Mpparts for about $15.00 each. It's coming together slowly. Pulled one of the dash fans apart today, as it was squeaking enough to drive a sane person batty. Lubed it up with permatex anti seize, now as quiet as a mouse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail-7.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	319020  
Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Just like several other owners out there, we are attempting to resolve our air leak problems. After repairing 2 air leaks loud enough to hear, we located more leaks. All four air control valves on the air tanks that feed the air bags were leaking. Replace all four. Found one large leak and four smaller leaks between the firewall and outer skin of the motorhome. Largest leak was from a threaded reducer that attached the air fitting to a type of manifold on the firewall. Evidently someone tightened the fitting until the reducer cracked. Many of the push fittings were leaking, replacing all of leakers. Waiting on fittings from Mcmaster Carr. They are a good source for DOT fittings and prices are very reasonable, better than NAPA. Anyway, the pressure relief valve for the front tank is leaking. Does anyone know the pressure setting for that valve? Cannot locate that info. Thanks to all of you on this great forum. God Bless
Our Windsor bleeds off the air at about 125 PSI.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Photo of the manifold on the firewall between there and the outside skin of the motorhome. This pic was taken after replacing all the leaking fittings. The cracked reducer is the one at the top right. It was a PITA to replace as there is only room for one hand. Had to remove the wiper assembly to access these hoses and fittings.
I had to replace two of these fittings on my coach also. I also have fixed other leaks including changing out the o-rings on all of the "six pack" valves.
As you have most likely seen in other posts I use an electronic leak detector. Works much better for me.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Valves.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	319046  
Old 02-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #10

Tim, Thanks for taking the time to look at the thread. What is the valve in the picture? Also, what is a six pack and where is it located. Might as well change out the o rings leaking or not, as the coach is 21 years and anything rubber is probably not very pliable anymore.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does your 2000 Dyn have air leveling?

*edit*, I just noticed Tim's does, so you probably do as well!
Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Good point from Tim. The “six packs” are the electromagnetic solenoid controllers for the HWH air leveling system. There is one six pack for each axle. They are typically located above the axle. These solenoids are activated to release or add air to each air bag, to achieve desired leveling. Each solenoid has 3 o-rings which as they age are known to leak air. A pretty common occurrence. There are some great threads on here on how to replace the o rings, along with the sizes required.

Here is one thread I found: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...ts-346179.html

Another: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-150182.html

Of course if you don’t have air leveling, than you can skip these posts .

Josh
Old 02-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #13

Thanks again Josh for the links to the 6 packs and air leveling systems. We have eight air bags. I assume you are referring to the air leveling for travel and not the leveling jacks when parked. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again Josh for the links to the 6 packs and air leveling systems. We have eight air bags. I assume you are referring to the air leveling for travel and not the leveling jacks when parked. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Nope, this would be for the HWH air leveling system when parked. The HWH air leveling system might have been an option for the Dynasty in 2000. If you have hydraulic jacks and no air leveling system, than this stuff might not apply to you.

Leveling of the coach while traveling down the road is handled by mechanical leveling valves.

Hope that clarifies things. Sounding like maybe your coach doesn't have the HWH automatic air leveling system. Below is a picture of the HWH Air Leveling System control panel. Do you have something like this?

Name:	HWH_controller.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	319104

Josh

Tags
air, leak, leaks, monaco