Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Another New Guy

Hello
Another new member checking in. I own a 1991 Monaco Dynasty 36’ with a pump up 8.3 c (about 310 hp) this couch was bought new from a dealer in ’93 from my family. So it been with us since it had 250 mi. This is not my first coach and I am not new around Diesels. I am currently an Instructor at Great Basin College in Elko NV for their Diesel program. We feed the mining companies and are supported by Cat and Cummins. I love it there and it gives me the summers to travel. I hate to admit this here but before that I was International / Navistar Factory trainer. As a side note I was doing Diesel update training on the MF motors for the Workhorse chassis group in OH when the announced the buyout of Monaco.

I also semi full time in my Coach, I own a home in Las Vegas and live in the coach up in Elko.

As for Coach there has been some mod’s the biggest was the 13’ side that was installed by Custom Crafted Coaches in IL. In 2004. Interior is nowhere near what it was when it left the factory. The unfortunate news is that it has sat in FT Myers FL for the past 9 yrs with the last 3 not moving. I Pick it up this past summer and brought it back to NV and have a interesting trip. I found out the hard way the Company is in a mess for any information or part numbers from Nav. Years back to the beginning. I need to replace the radiator in FL and had a hell of a time trying to get a replacement or re-cored. The final bill for that job was $3600…..This after I just got done doing a new one in a Freight shaker chassis with a 3608 cat for $900. Also when I picked it up it had a cable broken in the Slide. Not fun I have a pew pic’s I will post for your viewing enjoyment…..lol
Mike
Sitting in FT Wilderness Orlando on our way home this summer

Slide work

The oops' let the folk lift down to much.... no damage !!!
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Bet that was scary!! Welcome to our world. Glad your one of us. Your knowledge will be an RV gold mine.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have a good background to own the coach you own.

I was in mining also, now retired. Worked a summer in Colorado and then then in TN before doing an international gig for 3 years. Got a chance to drive through Elko on our drive back from Alaska via the Napa Wine Country and then onto TN. I had chances to work there but declined.

Hopefully you know the full history of your coach and it as been taken care of. With the addition of the slide I am sure it is more then livable. Nothing wrong with an older coach, easier to work on, less newer electronics that are harder to fix (at least for me).

Welcome aboard
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys.....

jacwjames- I am the history for this coach. I parents bought this thing new and did almost all the maintenance and repaires on this thing. I know the electronic motors scare most people. I also worked for Bosch, before Navistar, where I learned CR and EUI fuel controls (I also taught VP/VE pump rebuilding) so there no issue for me and prefer them. I have a 400 hp ISL that I was contemplated swapping in, but this 8.3c only has 80k and purs like kitten, getting 10 MPG at 65mph. And only being 36' and 22k ib's its not under powered.

Oh that little mishap was one of those I know I shouldnt do thus but..... only wanted to let it down about a 1/2" and it dropped like 2" and slowly came over. getting back up was a B&%$&