Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Talking Another "newbie" question...hole in floor?

I could solve a "small" problem if I could cut about a 6 in by 9 in hole in the floor of my motorhome for access to the unused portion of the tankage bay. Has anyone ever done this? Monaco guys (after laughing their head off ) said no, because the floor was a sandwich of steel tubing between plywood. Anyone have any experience in this area? The hole would be in the small space between the shower and vanity in my Cheeta 38. Thanks
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, I have the same 2005 38PDQ, why do you need to cut the hole?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I hesitate to tell you because everyone will have a big laugh. But, here goes. We are new to our coach and love it, but the one thing it is lacking over our Hitchhiker 5th wheel is a place to put the...ahhhh.....cat box. If I could cut a hole in the floor to the wasted tankage space it would be ideal, and easily accessible from the outside (after I put some latches on the access panel). Like I said, it is a "small" problem. Dick
Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have cats as well! I would think it might be possible, if you could determine where the square aluminum frame was and were able to miss it. Here is image (cross section of floor construction). By the way, the key to the letters. A= carpet pad and/or tile, B= wood subfloor, C= aluminum frame and foam insulation, D= underwrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	con1_floor.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	2269  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you could get up the tile in the area and use one of those special tools for cutting in tight spaces to a limited depth, you could cut the wood and see where the aluminum frame is. If you screw it up, you can just replace the piece you cut out and the tile. Do you have spare tiles?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have you thought about under the bed?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #7

You ain't crazy! We have been in a number of RV's where the owners have been able to route a space into an outside compartment for the litter box. It's a great idea and if you can find a way to make it work it should be well worthwhile.
Is there another option you have yet to consider? Is there a blank space under the fridge, a cabinet, a desk or closet? If you put a hole under one of these could you access this (or some other) space outside where the box could be located? We searched our coach and could not find such a space but it sure would be great if we could. Good luck!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I may work at it slowly from the "top" as you mentioned. It would be fairly easy to cover up if it didn't work. Do you know the spacing on the framework (the dimensions of the opening in the framework)? I have thought about under the bed, but that isn't the most desirable spot for me.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Look at different places undeneath and see if you can feel the aluminum through the underside black cover. You may be able to feel the layout/pattern.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jim. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back if I find anything. Anything else I should know or be aware of regarding my PDQ?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just related to the fridge warning light and not being cold enough. If neither happen, it's not a problem.

I did also note than when I went to fill the front axles with gear oil, the hubcaps were so tight that water was able to get into them, but not out. It caused water to set over the fill cap and the oil was contaminated. Check your front hub oil.

If you have any other problems or questions I can help with, just let me know!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forgot, take the carpeted cover off from that corner between the shower and cabinet and see if you can do your test hole under that cover, if you can, you will not have to rip up the tile needlessly if it is not possible.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #13

If you drill a hole you will get aluminum shavings if you hit the framing, and none if you don't.
My floor is made of 2"x2" tubing w/foam and wood sandwich above & below. If I drilled 2" on center across the area to be excavated & didn't hit aluminum in either direction (fore-aft, left-right), that'd be a good place to start the major excavation. Your's may be 1.5" tubing or?? If you hit metal, extend the pilot holes in the opposite direction if that would work, then go at 90 degrees.
A 1/8th inch drill bit should do it and not bother anything later.

Would you be installing stairs for the cat to use, or an elevator?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Jim. I checked the hubs and all were fine. By the way, I just looked at your rig in your profile, then went to check and see if mine was still in the driveway !