Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 12:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Another question on the front suspension on our 09 Camelot

Hello all you knowledgeable folks out there.
I have another question about the front suspension on our new to us 2009 Camelot 42 DSQ.
When I road tested the coach it had a pull to the right and upon inspecting the tires the right front (Good Year) tire had side wall cracking and worn more than the left front tire. (it had no side wall cracking) So I suspected a tire pull.
I had 2 new Toyo tires installed today 295 80R 22.5. All tires set at 100 PSI. Checked the brakes and they are like new, no drag or anything. All looks good on the front end.
After the new tires were installed I took it for a drive on the high way and it still has a pull to the right, not nearly as bad but it still pulls.
I don't see where there is any adjustment for camber or caster just for toe in which I will check next.
Does anybody here have any suggestions?? Our old coach was a 42 footer on a Freightliner chassis and it steered like a dream, just a couple of fingers on the wheel and straight down the road. Unless it was windy then it was a different story.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations on the new coach.

How did you establish the 100 psi for the tires? I'm running 115 in the steers based on my weight and the tire chart.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same question as Bill.

I also run 115 on the steer axle. Going by the scale weight I could possibly drop down to about 112, but who knows how equally balanced that weight is from side to side.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well that is a very good question. I did try to find the tire pressures for our coach and the nearest I could find was between 85 & 95 PSI.
I thought that was a bit low so went with 100. (that was at 32 deg. F)
But now that I know I will bump them up to 115 front and 110 on all the rears if that sounds right. I do have a tag.
Thanks so much for the info.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Hello all you knowledgeable folks out there.
I have another question about the front suspension on our new to us 2009 Camelot 42 DSQ.
When I road tested the coach it had a pull to the right and upon inspecting the tires the right front (Good Year) tire had side wall cracking and worn more than the left front tire. (it had no side wall cracking) So I suspected a tire pull.
I had 2 new Toyo tires installed today 295 80R 22.5. All tires set at 100 PSI. Checked the brakes and they are like new, no drag or anything. All looks good on the front end.
After the new tires were installed I took it for a drive on the high way and it still has a pull to the right, not nearly as bad but it still pulls.
I don't see where there is any adjustment for camber or caster just for toe in which I will check next.
Does anybody here have any suggestions?? Our old coach was a 42 footer on a Freightliner chassis and it steered like a dream, just a couple of fingers on the wheel and straight down the road. Unless it was windy then it was a different story.
MD you might check out Zmotorsports threads on upgrades to his Dynasty. He had a similar issue with pull, and discovered the rear end was not square on his coach. He corrected this by fabricating adjustable length trailing arms. It would be worth checking because if this is not correct you will not be able to fix it any other way. He is a great guy his repairs are all very detailed.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well that is a very good question. I did try to find the tire pressures for our coach and the nearest I could find was between 85 & 95 PSI.
I thought that was a bit low so went with 100. (that was at 32 deg. F)
But now that I know I will bump them up to 115 front and 110 on all the rears if that sounds right. I do have a tag.
Thanks so much for the info.
You really need to weigh the coach. If your running 15-20psi low, you're going to ruin those new tires quickly. My pressure is not necessarily your pressure. I believe your max cold pressure that is on the tire is 120, but verify. I'd go to max until you do get it weighed. I don't have a tag, so I won't comment on your drive tires.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #7

If your coach is loaded to max rear axle capacities, your goin to require about 85psi in your drive axle tires, and 80psi in your tag axle tires. I just run 85psi in all 6 rear tires, but my axles aren't loaded anywhere near max, even with my Harley hanging off the back.
Like mentioned previously, your going to need about 115psi in your steer tires.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #8

Question ; Does the 09' model still have the fuel tank, Aqua-Hot, and 100 gal fresh water tank, stuffed in the first bay right behind the front axle?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The Toyos have a much higher weight carrying capacity than the Michelin’s which were 70 series on my coach. I run 100 psi for 13,000 lbs on the front axle.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hwew'a Toyo's inflation guide.

115 PSI will carry 14,640 lbs. Looks like that's about what the front axle capacity is on a 2009 Camlot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo Tire and Inflation Guide Commercial Truck Tire.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	305514  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyo Tire and Inflation Guide Commercial Truck Tire.pdf (531.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #11

Dennis, 14,600 lbs is what the Camelot / Scepter steer axle is rated for.

Last time I ran over a scale with full fuel, nearly full water, I was close to 14,000lbs.
Play with your tag axle loading a bit, and you can be creaping up on 14,600lbs in a hurry.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies.
Yes my fuel tank, fresh tank and Aquahot are all in the bay behind the front tires. so you are right that the front axle would be loaded down close to the max. I will bump the tire pressure up to 115 on the front till I can get it weighed.
Sure don't want to ruin my new tires!!
Don't like the thoughts about having to mess around with my rear suspension but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! lol
Old 10-22-2020, 04:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.
Yes my fuel tank, fresh tank and Aquahot are all in the bay behind the front tires. so you are right that the front axle would be loaded down close to the max. I will bump the tire pressure up to 115 on the front till I can get it weighed.
Sure don't want to ruin my new tires!!
Don't like the thoughts about having to mess around with my rear suspension but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! lol
What is happening in the rear has more to do with a tendency to veer to one side than the front does. Monaco coaches have been known to come from the factory with the rear axle offset. I would suggest taking the coach to a shop equipped to do a four wheel alignment and let them check the coach. There are not many shops that can do this, especially on a large motorhome. You are in Alberta so there may be one in Calgary or Edmonton. On the East coast of the US my go to place is Josam in Orlando, FL. May be a bit far for you to travel but they have a very good reputation on the Roadmaster chassis.

https://josamusa.com/

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for you valuable information.
As far as alignment shops go I will have to check and see if there is one in Red Deer Ab.
I know Kal Tire there has a heavy duty truck shop and they might be able to do it. I'll have to phone them and find out.
But this will all have to wait till spring as we've already got 4" of snow with temps in the 15 to 20 range.
Sure wish we could go to Arizona.

Tags
suspension