RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Another step question

2007 HR Scepter. Brought coach home after one month plugged in storage. Step does not retract with switch, but retracts when ignition is on. Power at switch in coach stairwell. Checked fuses in fuse panel outside under drivers side. Replaced switch with new one from Monaco and replaced magnetic door switch with new generic from local RV supply. Step still retracts only with ignition. Coach is back in storage but the next step is to check the connections under the step. Anyone have other ideas before it heads for the shop? Is there another fuse after the switch that might be buried some where?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, so I'll tell you how ours works. Our "Entry Steps" switch does not operate the step. It only controls whether the step travels when the door is opened and closed.

When the ignition is on, the steps go out when the door is opened, and come back in as soon as it is closed, regardless of the position of the "Entry Steps" switch. If the "Entry Steps" switch is moved to the other position, and the ignition is off, the steps will go out when the door is opened. From then on, whether the door is open or closed, they will stay out until the switch is returned to its original position or the ignition is turned on. That is the normal configuration for us once we're set up in camp. That way the steps don't wear out from excessive operation.

I'm not sure if that's what you are experiencing or not. Good luck to you.

K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
I'm not sure I fully understand your question, so I'll tell you how ours works. Our "Entry Steps" switch does not operate the step. It only controls whether the step travels when the door is opened and closed.

When the ignition is on, the steps go out when the door is opened, and come back in as soon as it is closed, regardless of the position of the "Entry Steps" switch. If the "Entry Steps" switch is moved to the other position, and the ignition is off, the steps will go out when the door is opened. From then on, whether the door is open or closed, they will stay out until the switch is returned to its original position or the ignition is turned on. That is the normal configuration for us once we're set up in camp. That way the steps don't wear out from excessive operation.

I'm not sure if that's what you are experiencing or not. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the inputs Jim. That is the way mine works as well. Currently, it works normal with the ignition switch but the step stays out no matter what the position of the switch.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #4

Ok, sorry about that. I don't know if Monaco could send you a schematic for that system, but I suspect that they can. They've always come through when I've needed any drawings.

(877) 466-6226 is the last number I had for them.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Another step question

Check the ground. On my exterior porch light I had 12v at the socket and the bulb was good but it would not turn on. Turned out it was a bad ground. Lesson learned when you have power you may not have a ground.
Sounds like the switch may control the ground??

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
Step does not retract with switch, but retracts when ignition is on.
That tells me the system is getting power, and that the circuitry that operates to retract the steps works. There are two triggers to retract the steps: ignition on, and the door magnetic switch. So it sounds like a door switch problem to me.

Quote:
replaced magnetic door switch with new generic from local RV supply.
Did you also replace the magnet on the door? Maybe the magnet fell out of the plastic holder?

About the only other thing is the wiring between the switch and the step's control module, or the ground connection on the switch.

Quote:
but the next step is to check the connections under the step.
Agreed, that sounds like the next step. If the attached drawing matches your steps, it looks like the brown wire should alternate between being grounded and having a voltage (generated by the steps) as the door is opened and closed. Or, you could unplug the four pin connector to the steps, and measure resistance between the brown wire and ground: should switch between open and grounded as the door is opened and closed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38040983a (DIAGRAM, ELECTRIC POWER STEP).pdf (46.6 KB, 36 views)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Is the magnet in backwards

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Is the magnet in backwards
Good point. If only the switch and not the magnet were replaced, the new switch might want a different magnet orientation.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
I just wanted to post an update in case someone else is in the same situation. The coach was already scheduled for the shop for other service so after changing the switch and checking the connectors, I added this to the list. Shop just called that the step controller is bad and they replaced.