Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Another Tire Question..Firestones????

My search for tires for my 01 Dynasty is winding down...I am looking at two different brands...Hercules H rated 16ply and Firestone H rated 16 ply....
With all the bad publicity Firestone got ove the last few years, I am wondering if anyone is running Firestone FS507's on their rigs and what their experience has been....I know that Cooper manufactuers the Hercules domestic products and have not heard any real negatives about that tire...just curious about the Firestones.
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

Hi teoff, I am also also going to be Tire shopping. I have had very good service with Cooper Tires on my car both in performance and logevity. I used Kirkland Tires from Costco on my last MH and was very pleased, unfortunately they no longer stock them.
Looking forward to your findings.
Robert
Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Toyo or Firestone's seem to have more availability for service than the Hercules. Personally I like things all in order, so if I had different brands on the coach, I most likely wouldn't be able to sleep at night, but that's just me.

PS. Get the biggest fattest tire you can fit in the wheel wells. It looks cooler.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Barrier....the Hercules are about $70 per tire cheaper than the Firestones....I am thinking I'm going with Hercules!! As I mentioned in an earlier post...the tire shops in my town had a tough time coming up with 225/75/22.5's in H rating....
Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I think the best tire to have on your coach is a new tire. Period.

Having said that. I don't think there's anything wrong with Firestone tires. I think they got a bad wrap a few years back with the Ford thing, and I think some of it had to do with Ford's air pressure specs. actually being a little low for the tires. I'm not familiar with Hercules brand tires.

I think one thing to seriously consider when choosing a tire is in the event of a tire failure on a trip far, far away from home, will it be difficult to quickly match the tire?

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did I understand that your tire size is 225/75/22.5? I thought the Dynasty had 295/75/22.5 size tires.

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
295 is right...it was a typo....Hercules Tires are produced in the U.S. by Cooper Tire...I can not find anything positive or negative on line about their commercial tires....two of the local tire dealers I spoke with quoted Hercules..... I think $70 per tire is a compelling argument.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tires

Very interesting....I went out to the storage yard today, and lo and behold, the current tires that came on the rig when I bought it (3 years ago) where G rated 14 plys, that I put 20,000 miles on.....I looked at the plate on the rig and the owners manual, and nothing indicates what came orgininal equipment....anyone tell me what came original on an 01 Dynasty??????
Old 03-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Teofff, have you priced Kelly tires? If you are looking for a brand name that can save you some $ they might be worth pricing. A shop near me quoted 11R22.5 16 ply for $332. out the door price.

Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
David:
No Kelly dealers in my area....the Hercules, mfg. by Cooper Tire were the lowest for me @$337 out the door....dealer (would a salesman lie???) says he has installed lots of them without any issues....
Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #11

Hi teoff, My 01 Dynasty came with Goodyear 357 295/75 R 22.5 tires load range H made in late 2000.
Robert
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
THANKS Barrier...I am replacing the G Rated 14 plys that the dealer I bought it from obviously put on, with H rated 16 ply Hercules on the fronts and the duals, and then taking two of my best (G rated, 14 plys) and puting them on the tag....
I couldn't find anything negative on Cooper or Hercules, so at $70 per tire cheaper, and me being "thrifty", that's what I decided to go with!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #13

Hi teoff, Are you buying them from a Nationwide dealer or a Local? Do you plan on using the DynaBeads for balance or some other type?
Robert
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Robert:
There are no national dealers in our area one regional dealer who doesn't do anything but automobile and light truck and Sears, COSTCO and Sam's Club, but while Costco and Sam's sell Rv tires, they don't install them. I went with a local tire dealer who does mostly commercial work....and while you have to take for what it's worth, he strongly recommends the Hercules. Claims to have installed many, many of them without any issues....so as a leap of faith, I am taking him at his word. He uses Dynabeads I beleive...I'm taking the rig in next Tuesday for the new tires...I went yesterday and instpected them...frankly, I thought they looked great.