RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Another Wandering Thought

I have a 30' B+ with the same problems i am reading about on this forum. A thought came to me recently that perhaps the problem is caused by much less weight on the front axles as compared to the rear. Here are my specs: Front Axle=Allowed-5,000lbs, Actual-3,780/ Rear Axle=Allowed 9,500, Actual-9,020. With 5,240 more pounds on the rear axle, could this be the cause of the steering problems? If so, how could I improve on the performance?

derh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My thought as to weight distribution? No. Rig design? Possibly yes. Your rig has a fair amount of rear-wheel overhang (in feet). A slight directional change at the steering wheel causes a shifting a lot of weight some 9 feet behind the rear wheels. Your shocks and other suspension parts are new, so there's nothing there to chase down. Any under-inflation on the rear tires will introduce a swaying in the rear....which translates to a "wandering" feel up front.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think it's more of an issue of what's the percentage of allowable weight on each axle. I've read that some have handling issues if the actual weight on
the front axle is less than 80% of the allowable gross weight on that axle.

Also, if there's a long overhand out behind the rear axle, and if the front axle is loaded too light, any wind pressures against that long tail will make the front wheels slide around on the highway. That makes for really bad handling.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jimkate, Bingo! Your right on the nose with your thoughts. But some would rather spend money.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Most of our steering issues are caused by poorly engineered steering systems combined with cheap components (large amount of play in them) and longer travel suspension systems that induce bump steer. Next time your coach is on the alignment machine, use your leveling jacks to raise/lower the coach and watch the lasers. They move all over the place. As you drive down the road and your suspension travels up and down your steering is moving quite a lot.

Add a tag axle and/or increase the wheel base and it reduces the bump steer and steering quality improves greatly.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wheel base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Most of our steering issues are caused by poorly engineered steering systems combined with cheap components (large amount of play in them) and longer travel suspension systems that induce bump steer. Next time your coach is on the alignment machine, use your leveling jacks to raise/lower the coach and watch the lasers. They move all over the place. As you drive down the road and your suspension travels up and down your steering is moving quite a lot.

Add a tag axle and/or increase the wheel base and it reduces the bump steer and steering quality improves greatly.
I don't know what the "wheel base" is. Or how to increase it. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by derh2o View Post
I have a 30' B+ with the same problems i am reading about on this forum. A thought came to me recently that perhaps the problem is caused by much less weight on the front axles as compared to the rear. Here are my specs: Front Axle=Allowed-5,000lbs, Actual-3,780/ Rear Axle=Allowed 9,500, Actual-9,020. With 5,240 more pounds on the rear axle, could this be the cause of the steering problems? If so, how could I improve on the performance?
Does anyone feel a steering stabilizer might help?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Probably getting the weight off the area to the rear of the rear axle and forward toward the front axle will do more than anything else. Lighten up the rear as much as you can.

As I recall some of the shorter DPs had the same problem so the mfgr put weight, ballast if you will, in the front to hold it down. If any tankage is to the rear of the rear axle I'd run them empty except the gas tank.
Give us the make model and series info on your coach, we can tell better from that info.
Thanks
Ron
Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #9

Our couch is a B+, 29' Monaco Montclair with 3 slides, one being the bedroom. the rear end weight is the stock weight. the only thing we added was a lawn chair under the bed, linens and a few toilet items in the bath.

Dean
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Simply adding a Steer-Safe stabilizer on my coach made a world of difference in stopping the constant steering wander issue. I now have essentially one finger steering under most conditions.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

i understand a stabilizer will help the wandering issue, but would it help for a rig that is so much lighter in the front axles than the rear.

Dean
Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I figured out what WB is. deSanford
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
i understand a stabilizer will help the wandering issue, but would it help for a rig that is so much lighter in the front axles than the rear.

Dean

Again, if there's a long overhang out behind the rear axle, and if the front axle is loaded too light, any wind pressures against that long tail will make the front wheels slide around on the highway. A steering stabilizer cannot help that situation. First, something would have to be done to add weight to the front end. If wandering continued after doing that, a steering stabilizer could be tried to see if it would help.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I believe my little DP 37' handles well, because the diesel engine is small along with a small transmission. The coach has the fuel tank behind the front axles along with the 8K gen in front of the front axle. Bottom line the coach is well balanced= good ride and handling. That's my story.........deSanford

« Lost power | Shine »