Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Antenna booster

Coach is a '07 Monaco Cayman. What is my antenna booster, what does it look like and most importantly, where is it? I'm trying to trace the power from this mystery device to the King Dome.
Exfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfireguy View Post
Coach is a '07 Monaco Cayman. What is my antenna booster, what does it look like and most importantly, where is it? I'm trying to trace the power from this mystery device to the King Dome.
If you have the BMB (box of many buttons) the amplifier is usually in there. If not you should have a box and indicator light in the cabinet with a switch to turn it on/ off. I have a 2006 Fleetwood YMMV.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

My Dynasty broadcast tv booster is in the compartment above the driver and has a green light when on.. It has nothing to do with the sat dish my dish, tv, vcr all come into a box with input from tv, cable, and sat with out to front, bedroom, sat, drd, and aux. What is your issue?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

The actual issue is my KingDome has no 12V power. I talked to two techs at Navistar about this. They both said that power is tied to the antenna booster. However, one said that it is located in the antenna itself and the other said that it is in the overhead on the passenger side. Both wrong! I do have the aforementioned BMB in the overhead above the steering wheel. Attached to that box is a harness with many plugs that would accomodate many accessories, but the sat dish wiring doesn't seem to be there. This is a new problem BTW. My system always worked in the past until this "ghost" appeared. I just cannot trace the wiring harness from where it enters the roof on top to where it is routed in the ceiling.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Well, in my own defense, when you check for power at a device, you measure with a meter across the plus and ground. And when you don't find anything, you presume that the power is missing. Right? I had a brainstorm just now and checked and found that the ground was missing. How and where this happened I don't know. So, keep this in mind. Somewhere down the road it might help.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The booster itself is inside the antenna, the control and power is in one of 4 different devices inside the coach.

One is a box of many buttons, these buttons will be grouped by target (TV-1, VCR, TV-2, TV-3) and be labeled within each group ANT/VCR/DVD/SAT/AUX)

The lables I gave are common, not absolute.

Next comes the wall plate:http://www.winegard.com/images/TG7341FT.jpg

In addition to the fittings shown there is a switch and a LED (The switch selects ant/cable and sends power to the antenna if selected)

Next is a simple switch, It may be a winegard wall plate, or it may be any switch, Winegard makes a "remote" switch'power supply that works with it which would be hidden in a wall somewhere, I have actually seen ONE of these

The Last is:

May be black (mine is) or white (As pictured)

This is the cadillac of the line. It contains a secondary amplifier and a signal finder/strength meter and is one super device. It has two outputs and I have two TV's with converters, so it feeds the converters directly not via the button box. Very happy with how it works.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
My Winegard antenna booster, (aka: amplifier), is just that, (an "ANTENNA BOOSTER/AMPLIFIER"........for the Winegard batwing OTA TV antenna.
The "antenna booster/amplifier" has nothing whatever to do with, (and there is no connection between it and), the King Dome.

In my coach some of the electronics are located in a white wall plate, (which also houses an ON/OFF switch and a LED indicator light). The wall plate is in the ceiling of the overhead cabinet behind the drivers seat.
The remaining electronics are in the batwing antenna itself.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
The actual issue is my KingDome has no 12V power. I talked to two techs at Navistar about this. They both said that power is tied to the antenna booster. However, one said that it is located in the antenna itself and the other said that it is in the overhead on the passenger side. Both wrong! I do have the aforementioned BMB in the overhead above the steering wheel. Attached to that box is a harness with many plugs that would accomodate many accessories, but the sat dish wiring doesn't seem to be there. This is a new problem BTW. My system always worked in the past until this "ghost" appeared. I just cannot trace the wiring harness from where it enters the roof on top to where it is routed in the ceiling.
You are right.....in my case both techs are WRONG!
However, the King Dome will work correctly if the source of the 12VDC power comes from the "always hot", (un-switched), side of the antenna booster power wire.
My King Dome power wire is tapped/spliced directly off of a ceiling light power wire..... (it is powered by the house batteries).

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, To the person who said the Winegard and Kingdome systems have nothing in common.. Actually they do in many cases as the Winegard power switch for the antenna, be it a box of many buttons or a wall plate, also selects the SOURCE for The TV.. . I just spent an hour in a Winnie down the hill from me getting his Sat tv to work,,, The major problems were 2 fold.

He forgot a cable hooking up the antenna
And the coax from the the Sat Receiver to the Winegard switch box.... had a discontinuity (Long story) I found the disconnected end of the cable, got it back through the hole in the panel to the connection panel, hooked it all up, and PICTURE!!!!!

The 12 volt power can come from anywhere, the Booster switch is a common spot for doing it though.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ah, To the person who said the Winegard and Kingdome systems have nothing in common.. Actually they do in many cases as the Winegard power switch for the antenna, be it a box of many buttons or a wall plate, also selects the SOURCE for The TV.. . I just spent an hour in a Winnie down the hill from me getting his Sat tv to work,,, The major problems were 2 fold.

He forgot a cable hooking up the antenna
And the coax from the the Sat Receiver to the Winegard switch box.... had a discontinuity (Long story) I found the disconnected end of the cable, got it back through the hole in the panel to the connection panel, hooked it all up, and PICTURE!!!!!

The 12 volt power can come from anywhere, the Booster switch is a common spot for doing it though.
The question was about the relationship of the POWER for the "antenna booster" and the POWER for the King Dome, .....(it had nothing to do with the "coax cable" connections).
Your last sentence is the correct answer to the OP, (and is all that is necessary to answer the question).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In this Mel, I agree, The last sentence was included, specifically for the O/P.

The rest of it was for the person who said they had nothing in common, not the O/P. It is also correct.

I just spent yesterday fixing a Sat installation.. The owner made a newby mistake (Forgot the antenna cable) and in trying to find it he'd done a complete un-install of the sat receiver loosing a cable in the wall in the process.

Ton of fun.. By the way the cable he lost in the wall......

That was the one that connects the sat receiver to the Winegard switch.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Exfireguy....I don't know if you got your answer. Your coach should have two different wire setups. The Winegard switching box had the booster built into the box. If you look at the bacl of the box there should be one white connector with a white and red wire. This connected to the Winegard box and provided the 12 volts for the antenna and also worked as a power booster for the radio if youhave a Home Theater System.

The satellite dome had a yellow wire that Monaco fed through the roof with coax and stubbed it off for a future sat dome. There is a fuse for the antenna in the run bay under the driver's side.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
ExFireGuy,

My Cayman is a 2009, so it may be different... but I have a wooden cabinet above the entry steps that house most of my TV/Satellite/Sound connections and switches. In my unit, there is a small button that controls the source of my video... either Antenna (with amplifier) or Satellite/Ext Cable. It does not control the power to my Satellite dish (KVH4SL). There is rocker switch that turns on my satellite switch right next to it.

Hope this helps.

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna