Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Any adjustment on fuel gauge?

The fuel gauge is a little off on my Windsor. When completely full it shows a little less. Just wondered if there is any way to adjust this?

Also, the oil pressure gauge reads about 10 PSI different than the new ScanGuage D that I just installed. Same question??

Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The fuel gauge is a little off on my Windsor. When completely full it shows a little less. Just wondered if there is any way to adjust this?

Also, the oil pressure gauge reads about 10 PSI different than the new ScanGuage D that I just installed. Same question??

Thanks!

Hey Joe,

There is an adjustment for full on the top of the sensor head on top of the tank. The adjustment screw I believe has a spot of yellow on it. I seem to remember it's clockwise to increase full level.

Here is the web site:

http://www.centroidproducts.com/

If you email them, they will send you an adjustment guide.

I had to replace my sender last year and the new ones aren't user adjustable like the OEMs were.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Fuel Gauge

Hi,
My fuel gauge has always shown 7/8 full when tank is topped up. I've known how to reset it but have resisted resetting it. Reason being I considered the lower reading to give a me a cushion in the event that I end up running the tank lower than is wise. To run out out of diesel is a real pain and involves cracking fuel lines and/or replacing fuel filters to restart. Once you have done this once you will appreciate the need not to have it happen again. One never knows where the fuel pickup hose is in relationship to the bottom of the tank as well.
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
The fuel gauge is a little off on my Windsor. When completely full it shows a little less.
My fuel gauge always did the same thing. In March this year my fuel gauge decided not to work no more, and I replaced it with the same type and brand, and the new one does the exact same thing.

If you decide to replace it, the "operation was painless". The cost was also not too bad. As I recall it was around $75 (give or take).

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Joe,

There is an adjustment for full on the top of the sensor head on top of the tank. The adjustment screw I believe has a spot of yellow on it. I seem to remember it's clockwise to increase full level.

Here is the web site:

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

If you email them, they will send you an adjustment guide.

I had to replace my sender last year and the new ones aren't user adjustable like the OEMs were.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks Steve! I went to the website and found the Monaco adjustment data below. Can you tell me how to get to the sensor on top of the tank?

http://www.centroidproducts.com/moncal.htm
Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Steve! I went to the website and found the Monaco adjustment data below. Can you tell me how to get to the sensor on top of the tank?

http://www.centroidproducts.com/moncal.htm

Mine can be accessed on the passenger side on top of the fuel tank. Your coach may have a couple of screws holding the compartment closed on the bottom edge. The sender unit head is shaped like a hockey puck with several wires attached.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Joe here is a file on how to adjust the sender but I will warn you not everyone has luck with these senders in fact I have give up, some says to run another ground wire and I have done that. I have had two Monacos and neither fuel gauge worked right and as for your oil pressure gauge not reading correct that is not uncommon on the Monaco entertainment center , the only two gauge i have that I think are correct is the boost and air gauge I depend on my Silverleaf system for all gauges and fuel usage I also am able to set up my alarms where I want them low oil pres, engine temp ect.

Walt
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fuel sender adjustments.doc (28.5 KB, 72 views)
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Mine can be accessed on the passenger side on top of the fuel tank. Your coach may have a couple of screws holding the compartment closed on the bottom edge. The sender unit head is shaped like a hockey puck with several wires attached.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Thanks Steve! I'll check that out!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Joe here is a file on how to adjust the sender but I will warn you not everyone has luck with these senders in fact I have give up, some says to run another ground wire and I have done that. I have had two Monacos and neither fuel gauge worked right and as for your oil pressure gauge not reading correct that is not uncommon on the Monaco entertainment center , the only two gauge i have that I think are correct is the boost and air gauge I depend on my Silverleaf system for all gauges and fuel usage I also am able to set up my alarms where I want them low oil pres, engine temp ect.

Walt

Thanks Walt! That's about the same as the info I linked above, but I'll compare the two!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

My gauge was acting up so I have a bent 1/4 inch rod and I dip the tank. That is as accurate as you can get and then I ran out of fuel with over a quarter of a tank. I found that the pickup is 4 to 6 inches above the bottom of the tank. I fixed that, by building a sump with a valved drain and now the pickup is below the bottom of the tank. Climbing a hill I should be able to get down to a gallon of fuel before I run out. Not planning to get the low
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My fuel sender shot craps last summer. I called Centroid and they did not have an exact replacement in stock, my Mid door Dynasty seems to be a red headed step child sometimes. The nice lady had me dip my tanks with a measuring tool and made one to order, already calibrated. Full, however, is right to the top of the tank :bang head: . In any case it will read full if I tilt the MH on fill up. More to the point, I've found that a fuel gauge is strictly an advisory tool. As Walt says, "Entertainment".

I plan 7.0 mpg, with a 118 gallon tank. At 500 mile I look for a fuel station. That leaves me 48 Gallons to empty to find one……This method leaves enough fuel to always run the generator and I fuel about every other day with no worries.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
My fuel sender shot craps last summer. I called Centroid and they did not have an exact replacement in stock, my Mid door Dynasty seems to be a red headed step child sometimes. The nice lady had me dip my tanks with a measuring tool and made one to order, already calibrated. Full, however, is right to the top of the tank :bang head: . In any case it will read full if I tilt the MH on fill up. More to the point, I've found that a fuel gauge is strictly an advisory tool. As Walt says, "Entertainment".

Quote:
I plan 7.0 mpg, with a 118 gallon tank. At 500 mile I look for a fuel station. That leaves me 48 Gallons to empty to find one……This method leaves enough fuel to always run the generator and I fuel about every other day with no worries.

Good advice Jim!
Old 07-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Steve! I'll check that out!
Here is a pic of the top of the sensor:

The Phillips head above the "full" on the label is the adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	99062  
Old 07-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, I got out there this morning and found the sensor right where you said it would be! It took a little cleaning with alcohol and paint brush to find the adjustments! I turned the "full" adjustment just a tiny bit clockwise and the needle is right on the "full" mark!

Thanks to you and others who commented! Score another TD for IRV2!

PS- I'm about to get out there and wash the coach. Wanna volunteer?

Tags
fuel