Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion
I believe that running the dash air on MAX is more efficient.
Reason: On MAX you are recircullating the air in the coach which has already been cooled. When running the air on NORMAL you are continuously trying to cool down
the outside air that is coming in via the vents. Therefore the higher the outside temperature is the harder the air conditioner has to work to cool it down.
James, I think you are missing the point. Maybe you have a Vesta with a redesigned fresh air system in which case you are already enjoying your driving experience. On a nice day, I like to open the driver's side window with the AC off and the fresh air vent open and simply enjoy the road I'm on. Believe me, this was not possible with our Vesta. Some people like to drive with their AC on all the time, and that's a choice. I'll say it again, with this fix I have the benefit of driving without AC if I choose and now the AC works a whole lot better when it is on. A win win.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #16

Have any other Vesta owners had trouble with the parking brake handle? While leaving our RV park today in San Diego the handle came loose in the dash housing and would not release when applied! I was blocking the roadway so I was in near panic mode. I now appreciate the term "apply the binders",with the air brake engaged we were going nowhere. I pressed the handle several times to no avail.
A fellow camper offered help and together we were finally able to get the brake released. Lifting the dash, I pressed the lever while he held the housing firmly from the back of the dash.
The Vesta is now back at the dealer where I hope they can handle this repair. The air brake release has always needed a hard push on this unit, so I'm now wondering if this issue is unique to my MH?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I recall that RG had this problem. Mine is easy to release but it's kind of hard to engage and makes a pretty loud noise. I too would panic if that happens. I think of Rg's issue every time i engage it.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
My air brake valve separated from the dashboard as the rv dealer was doing other service on the coach. He showed me the problem, which was that the factory applied adhesive was minimal. The entire surface which contained the adhesive was less than 40% of the total surface. They removed the adhesive, which was quite brittle, and used an automotive 2 part system which cured in an hour or so.

Wish that the Allison transmission had a "park" mode so that we had another option.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
tjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Jon, like you we are often approached by people who are attracted by the Vesta's unique appearance. Most folks seem to like it.
Regarding your comment about the fresh air vent ; we found this issue intolerable and spent $400 to have the fresh air re-routed around to the front of the radiator. Since we have had this modification done we really are able to fully enjoy driving this unit. By the way, the dash air now works far more efficiently and we rarely have need to run it at max air.
The stock vent setup just sucks the hot engine air into the cabin which makes a drive very uncomfortable.
Do you have and can you post photos of the modification done?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #20
tjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
My air brake valve separated from the dashboard as the rv dealer was doing other service on the coach. He showed me the problem, which was that the factory applied adhesive was minimal. The entire surface which contained the adhesive was less than 40% of the total surface. They removed the adhesive, which was quite brittle, and used an automotive 2 part system which cured in an hour or so.

Wish that the Allison transmission had a "park" mode so that we had another option.
When I first got the Vesta and this is my first RV with air brakes I was startled when I went to apply the brakes for the first time. The pop on the button when you pull it out is something for the first few times using it until you get use to it. My wife refuses to pull at all. I need to do it every time.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd

Do you have and can you post photos of the modification done?
Sorry , I don't and the MH is now at the dealer getting the brake handle repaired. I'll take and post some pics when I get it back.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #22

Well I got a call from the dealer re my air brake handle and it was not what I expected. It seems that the dash facia will need to be replaced because the plate fractured and cannot be adequately re glued. The really good news is that Monaco authorized the repair even though the MH is out of warranty.
So, the plan now is to drill holes into the dash and temporarily secure the plate with screws until the new dash arrives.
What caused the failure? The tech noted that a nut in the back of the holding plate had worked loose and was missing so the push/pull of the handle caused some stress.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Navastar Monaco does stand behind their coaches. I just got back from a 6 week trip and had them do some "rework" at NO charge and I have been out of warranty over a year. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave

Sorry , I don't and the MH is now at the dealer getting the brake handle repaired. I'll take and post some pics when I get it back.
Here are the pics of the fresh air vent modification on the vesta. I don't know if they will be helpful to those who want to get the mod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1579257749.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	23839

This is the pipe brought out in front of the rad.

Name:	image-666519023.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	23841

These two pic show it going to the air box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1734770474.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	23840  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Question - how does the new air intake hose attach to the existing "air intake box"?

Also does just the new air intake hose attach to the existing aire intake box - or was an assembly made to fit the "slot" of the air intake box - or does the slot still take in hot air to either side of the hose?

Separately - another issue - I still have to turn off the inverter - when I turn-off the battery disconnect switches. It seems like the battery disconnect switch sould kill power to the inverter too. Is your coach wired this way as well?

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta
Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #26

Jon, the Vesta is still at the shop getting the brake handle repaired so I can't really tell you right now. I should be getting it back in the next day or two and I'll take a closer look at the air box. I'll check the inverter also.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave
Jon, the Vesta is still at the shop getting the brake handle repaired so I can't really tell you right now. I should be getting it back in the next day or two and I'll take a closer look at the air box. I'll check the inverter also.
Jon, got the Vesta back today and took a look at the vent system. It looks like they tied into the existing air box from the underside of the box. They appear to have applied some insulating material to insure that fresh air enters the box from the pipe in front of the rad.
Regarding the inverter, I think we are wired the same way. If on; the inverter must be turned off even if the batteries are switched off.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #28

Two Monaco Vesta questions

This is my first time to read or post. Great info. I really like the Vesta. Have owned more expensive coaches but this coach fits my needs and wants. I have the 2012 35 foot model. I purchased last november. Two vesta questions. 1. my front slide fits nice at top. The bottom sticks out at least 1 1/2 inches or maybe a little more. Is this true with everyone's coach? Any fix? I had at Lazydays and they said they adjusted as much as possible. I have the cable system. 2. Does anyone know why coach is depreciating so rapidly? Is there some impending problem I'm not aware of? Thanks for any info. I have 9K miles on mine and only real problem has been exhaust regeneration.
Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco