Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #3039

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cockpit re-do is really looking good. Thanks for the pictures. Very clean and modern look ! You probably lost a couple of hundred pounds of weight getting rid of the tile on the floor. Nice job.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #3040

Thank you Dave and Rodg,

Working on the Vesta has been such a fun and rewarding project. It was our goal to make the coach bright and airy with a bit of mid century design.
We painted all of the walls in the coach. As far as the wallpaper, I discovered that it is actually a vinyl factory bonded to 1/8” plywood. You can still find it available in sheets believe it or not. It seems to be a go to design for RV manufacturers. I did a few tests on pieces I removed to check for adhesion and had very luck. I thoroughly scuffed the surface with a sanding sponge and 220 grit paper then vacuumed and wiped the surfaces down with a damp rag and vacuumed again. I used a primer from PPG called Gripper. You can find it at Home Depot and it worked beautifully. It is an acrylic and goes on easily and dries rock hard. I couldn’t believe how difficult it was to scratch when cured. After the primer two coats of Ben Moore paint were applied. It turned out perfectly.
When we were looking at Vesta’s we noticed that they all had tile floors however ours had a wood laminate that seems pretty rare. Since buying our coach I found a 35’ for sale that had the same flooring in it. There was carpet in the cockpit and bedroom. I knew the wood laminate was factory as all of the cabinets etc. we’re built on top of it. When I removed it I had to really take my time to remove pieces that went behind the toe kicks etc. Installing the new flooring was straight forward but I was careful with the layout and centered the first piece in the exact middle of the floor. It was then that I discovered that the doghouse cover and dash are slightly off center! We are so happy with the new flooring and how it changes the entire feel of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08E2D10C-CBB1-4920-AE82-09DD7571B5D5.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	281720   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B9498FD-8C7E-45F1-83DD-FF6351C6E430.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	281721  

Name:	3B52465F-1D15-47CE-B2FB-9EBEE0108113.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	281722   Click image for larger version

Name:	EABCFB1E-58D8-4210-9134-0E21FDB21205.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	281723  

Name:	B9C0D4C6-2A03-465A-B19E-5641EED92F6A.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	281724  
Sylvesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #3041

Thanks for the pictures! Looks like you did quite a bit of reworking in the interior. New countertops, new smaller cooktop, removed / re-worked the Louver cabinet doors, did you also re-work the slide out floor frame? Usually it has a an extended part of the floor where the dinette would be located at, your slide out floor is straight across with no extension. My wife talked about painting the cabinets but I wasn’t sure how it would look. It definitely has a clean modern mid century look to it. Nice job!
Gypsy Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #3042

Monaco Owners Club
Vesta Flooring

Sylvesta......Really a very nice job on all of it. I need to ask about the cockpit area. In mine, a 2011 32PBS, it appears that there are about a thousand staples holding the carpet in! Did you find the amount of staples used overkill? Also, did you glue down the laminate or is it free floating? Thanks Eric
Old 04-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #3043

Monaco Owners Club
Large TV

Sylvesta, I just recently took out the 32 inch TV in the living area and replaced it with a 50 inch LG Thin Q on a extension arm with a 90 degree tilt. This enables me to watch the TV horizontally but turn it 90 degrees to the vertical position for storage before pulling the slide in! Radical having the 50 inch picture about 3 feet from your face! LOL. I then hooked it into the surround sound speaker system using a new WiFi enabled Sony low profile amp. I just found it too hard and painful to watch the small TV from the dining booth!
Old 04-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #3044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Couple View Post
Thanks for the pictures! Looks like you did quite a bit of reworking in the interior. New countertops, new smaller cooktop, removed / re-worked the Louver cabinet doors, did you also re-work the slide out floor frame? Usually it has a an extended part of the floor where the dinette would be located at, your slide out floor is straight across with no extension. My wife talked about painting the cabinets but I wasn’t sure how it would look. It definitely has a clean modern mid century look to it. Nice job!
Hi,

Yes, we did a pretty major interior remodel. Some of the changes made to the kitchen were:
-Removal of existing cooktop and replacing with a two burner high output, low profile unit that allowed for an additional drawer below.
Relocating the switches and outlet to the left of the original cooktop that allowed for an additional drawer as well.
-New countertops is bright white Corian using the existing sink and a new faucet.
-Removal of backsplash on the side of the refrigerator.
-Removal of the microwave (we don’t use one at home..) and built a cabinet to match the existing upper cabinet.
-I did not like the look of the existing louvre doors and made a new one below the refrigerator. This space also houses the new subwoofer.
-I added to the slide out floor to make it one straight edge. The slide out floor is an aluminum frame that was relatively simple to add to.
-We decided to paint to brighten up the interior and decided that walnut would be our “accent” wood to the light paint colors. Overall we are very happy with the results.
We still have a lot to do the bulk of tue work is done.
It has been such a fun project and I hope to connect with you all in our travels. Thanks again to everyone on this forum as your knowledge is invaluable.

Gregg
Old 04-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #3045

Eric,

Yes, the cockpit carpeting had a ton of staples and I would agree that it was overkill! The best $7.00 I have spent in a long time was on an upholstery staple remover. This little tool was priceless for removing all of the staples. There was an equal amount of staples if not more in the bedroom as well.
I did not glue down the new flooring. It is designed to “float” and I allowed for expansion and contraction on both sides of the coach and covered the gap with a shoe moulding. It worked perfectly..
The layer of Dynamat helped tremendously with noise reduction in the cockpit while under way and I would definitely recommend this step when adding new flooring.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 04-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjan2011 View Post
Sylvesta, I just recently took out the 32 inch TV in the living area and replaced it with a 50 inch LG Thin Q on a extension arm with a 90 degree tilt. This enables me to watch the TV horizontally but turn it 90 degrees to the vertical position for storage before pulling the slide in! Radical having the 50 inch picture about 3 feet from your face! LOL. I then hooked it into the surround sound speaker system using a new WiFi enabled Sony low profile amp. I just found it too hard and painful to watch the small TV from the dining booth!
That must be great having that size screen! Did you cut into the wall below the existing tv opening to accommodate the new screen or does the slide just pass by it? I was thinking about a larger tv as well but couldn’t come up with a good way to do it but it sounds like you did! Post a picture if you can! I used a new sound bar with a powered sub that I installed below the refrigerator. It’s a very simple system now but can always go back to the original setup from Monaco.
On another note, great towed vehicle! Would love to see the setup together.

All the best,
Gregg
Old 04-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #3047

Monaco Owners Club
Gregg,

I'll be glad to post a picture. I'll get that done in a couple of days here. I did cut into the wall after pushing a dozen or so wires to the far left side. The hole is gaping as it needed to accommodate a 50 inch in the portrait vice landscape position. The TV measures 47 wide by 35 tall, so you can imagine the hole. I need to go to the Home Depot (when it's safe!) and get 1/4 inch oak or maple sheeting so I can build a back and surround so the install looks professional! I had to buy a Thin Q TV as it's 2.35 inches thick and you only have 2.75 inches clearance when you pull in the slide. Oddly enough as you pull in the slide the clearance goes from 2.75 to less than 2 1/4! That's the reason I had to cut out the dimensions of the TV in the behind wall. I gained an additional 3/4 of an inch in doing so. This allowed clearance for the mount and the TV........PS- The mount goes easily from Landscape to Portrait (90 degree turn)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #3048

Monaco Owners Club
50 inch TV install incomplete

Gregg, Forgive the fact that this project isn't completed yet, but this is the stage I'm at now. Once I get the 1/4 inch ply to build the box and wrap the area in a black leather frame it will look much better. But, this will give you a good idea of the massive difference it will make. You can use the OEM surround sound, the TV internal speaker or replace the amp with a newer model with wifi built in, which is what I did. I also added a wall mount sub woofer behind the home theater chairs (which were placed where the booth used to be. I removed the booth and couch and placed the home theater chairs and a free standing dining table with two chairs.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	282439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1256 (1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	282440  

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	282441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	282442  

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	282443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	282444  

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	282445  
Old 04-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #3049

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why do you need such a large TV ?
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #3050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvesta View Post
Thank you Dave and Rodg,

Working on the Vesta has been such a fun and rewarding project. It was our goal to make the coach bright and airy with a bit of mid century design.
We painted all of the walls in the coach. As far as the wallpaper, I discovered that it is actually a vinyl factory bonded to 1/8” plywood. You can still find it available in sheets believe it or not. It seems to be a go to design for RV manufacturers. I did a few tests on pieces I removed to check for adhesion and had very luck. I thoroughly scuffed the surface with a sanding sponge and 220 grit paper then vacuumed and wiped the surfaces down with a damp rag and vacuumed again. I used a primer from PPG called Gripper. You can find it at Home Depot and it worked beautifully. It is an acrylic and goes on easily and dries rock hard. I couldn’t believe how difficult it was to scratch when cured. After the primer two coats of Ben Moore paint were applied. It turned out perfectly.
When we were looking at Vesta’s we noticed that they all had tile floors however ours had a wood laminate that seems pretty rare. Since buying our coach I found a 35’ for sale that had the same flooring in it. There was carpet in the cockpit and bedroom. I knew the wood laminate was factory as all of the cabinets etc. we’re built on top of it. When I removed it I had to really take my time to remove pieces that went behind the toe kicks etc. Installing the new flooring was straight forward but I was careful with the layout and centered the first piece in the exact middle of the floor. It was then that I discovered that the doghouse cover and dash are slightly off center! We are so happy with the new flooring and how it changes the entire feel of the interior.

How do the rollers for the slide track on the new floor?

Thanks
dpj1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #3051

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjan2011 View Post
Gregg, Forgive the fact that this project isn't completed yet, but this is the stage I'm at now. Once I get the 1/4 inch ply to build the box and wrap the area in a black leather frame it will look much better. But, this will give you a good idea of the massive difference it will make. You can use the OEM surround sound, the TV internal speaker or replace the amp with a newer model with wifi built in, which is what I did. I also added a wall mount sub woofer behind the home theater chairs (which were placed where the booth used to be. I removed the booth and couch and placed the home theater chairs and a free standing dining table with two chairs.)
Eric,

Thank you for posting pictures. Now I can see how it works! Can’t wait to see how it trims out.

Gregg
Old 04-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #3052

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj1959 View Post
How do the rollers for the slide track on the new floor?

Thanks
Hi Rodg,

The slide tracks beautifully on the new floor. The rollers are mounting to the main floor in my rig so there is no contact with the floor. I installed one more matching roller from Lippert when I added tribute slide floor. It worked perfectly..Click image for larger version

Name:	3513F389-E951-44AE-AD88-DC710ED2C1B6.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	282681

Name:	D607BA12-163F-45B8-AF79-30539FFB72EF.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	282682

Tags
monaco