Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Any Windsor owners who have had Radiator Leak

2002 Windsor with 8.3L 350 HP Cummins

I'm stranded at a Cracker Barrel in Crossville TN with a very bad coolant leak. I've crawled under and looked down at the radiator and cannot pinpoint the leak.

We were on I-40 headed east, started smelling antifreeze ~10 miles back and thought it was a truck in front of us. Pulled into Cracker Barrel and there was a trail of antifreeze, once stopped there were several gallons that leaked out from around the radiator shroud. Can't see exactly where it is coming from.

I had my Silverleaf on and no signs of problems other then the transmission temp started to climb a little. Engine was running ~180F and tranny climbed to ~191F we had just got done climbing hills. No warning lights on dash, I guess if the coolant was being recirculated into the surge tank with the sensor as low as it is it may not have given a warning.

Has anyone had a radiator failure in a Windsor, if so where did you source a radiator and how much $$$.

Has anyone had leak, was it repairable?

Help/suggestions will be appreciated.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I had a Monaco knight 2002 and had a radiator leak. They used an aluminum radiator and they cracked along the tanks. The radiator shop said it would be as much to fix as replace. In 2004 I think Monaco said it was be about $2500. Good luck. Mine was not real bad and stop leak fixed it.

Ps, the Windsor may not have used the aluminum radiator so it may be more repairable. If you can find a place near there that will be open tomorrow I would stay put before you put any stop leak in.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe you just had a hose leak?

If you need a radiator there is an outfit in Gadsen, Al that will make them.

C,G, & J Inc.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I could not see any hose leak. A lot of antifreeze captured in the shroud, when I stopped it continue to pour out for 5 minutes. The whole side of the engine and transmission were covered from where the fan blew it out.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That's a pretty bad leak. Maybe a tank seam split. They are heavy and it takes a good shop to change them out.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the build sheet for your coach or can get it, it gives the radiator #. there is an outfit I've seen called Brice Thomas Radiator that sells on ebay. I think they are in Alabama. I replaced mine awhile back and it would be a JOB on the road. Not bad at home. Mine started to leak between the cac, that you can see, and on the road side of the radiator. There is alot that needs to be correct for fitting of the coolant hoses, trans cooler hoses and hydraulic temp sensor for fan. also everything attaches to the radiator back there, cac hangs off front, the hydraulic radiator off the bottom, ac condenser off cac,, fan and shoud hang off the back or curb side. My radiator was bolted to brackets that are welded to the frame. So what I am saying is, everything needs to be right or your chasing "fitment" troubles. I had some but none where too bad, just took time. I think thats why I see replacement costs all over the place when reading about replacments. I bought mine from Radiator Supply House in Sweethome Oregon. It is steel end tanks, copper/brass and was about $2200.00. I took the old one out and took it to Sweethome so they could see it, oh well, it was pretty close! If you can limp it home some way,,,,
Good luck
John G
PS, they are heavy but I took it out and put it in by myself, needed leverage and jack to get it up in place. That kind of stuff I have at home but not on the road.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
CJScepter, thanks for the info. I've looked at the radiator group you've listed and it looks like the have a variety of Monaco Radiators.

Looked on my data card and the radiator is not listed on it.

Have arrangements to be towed to a repair facility.

Even if I get it home I do not have a good place to work on it.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Brice Thomas and CG&J list the same address, one DBA of the other.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to a radiator repair shop when I was replacing my radiator about a recore, they told me it would be $1200- $1800. If you recore you know everything will fit when you get it back. I had read that the coolant we use is hard on the aluminum welds, but mine lasted 10 years and that may not be a problem now.
Good luck
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It took me ~10 hours to get a tow truck to my location. The first driver came, said he'd be back, never showed up so on the phone with AAA they finally got a driver, evidently the holiday weekend has taken it's toll on big rigs.

Anyway, tow truck driver would not hook up where I was parked, said he couldn't make it out of parking lot with me hooked.

I had to rig a water hose from my wet bay shower control to the rear of the coach to fill the surge tank. Water started pouring out but I gained and the surge tank finally filled. I let the pump running and I then started engine, built air, and drove about 1500 ft to a parking area the driver was waiting at. Got it positioned, he had me drive up on some blocks and then he lifted the front. I quickly shut off the engine and water pump, I estimate I had pumped ~50 gallons of water in the time it took to do the above. I monitored the temp on engine and transmission, didn't exceed 100F so I think I will be OK as far as the engine is concerned.

The rig is now parked at Crosspoint Cummins in Knoxville and I will be waiting on the diagnosis.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We do all wish you a quick and speedy repair.
(If I can speak for us all!)
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
We do all wish you a quick and speedy repair.
(If I can speak for us all!)

When you get her fixed report back so there is info for others should it happen to them.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Jacwjames,

Just a curious question. What type of coolant do you run? I just switched to Final Charge OAT because the old coolant test poorly and I didn't know what it was. So I flushed several times then filled. Best of luck, hoping you find something simple........
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #14

Please keep me posted, no problems as of yet with my radiator. (knock on wood..crap that was fake wood...oh here we go). Assume this was a side radiator?
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, radiator