RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody replaced ceramic tile and/or carpet in 2002 Windsor?

We would like to get rid of the ceramic tile in the kitchen and bath, and possibly the carpet in the living room. I would like to find someone who has done this the see what kind of job it would be. The tile goes under the kitchen slide, looks like all the way to the wall. Any advice would be appreciated!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Hey we just bought a 2002 windsor and there are several places around here that do that kind of stuff. We are in charleston sc. Looking to possibly do hard wood in ours later.
panga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, looks like you and I are practically neighbors. I live in Foley Alabama so we are not that far apart.

I replaced the carpet in my coach twice and a friends coach twice. I was going to pull all the tile up and replace it with wood till I removed the carpet the first time. The carpet part of the floor is lower than the tile. Monaco sat a 3/8 tick plywood on top of the main floor and tile on top of that.

You are correct the tile goes all the way to the outside wall, and in my coach under some of the interior walls. I don't know if your slide is on rollers that ride on the tile like mine, but if it is, and you remove tile, then whatever you put back will need to be the same height. Also if you remove the tile and do have rollers, you will need to support the slide on the bottom with some sort of jack so you can remove the tile without the slide roller dropping down. Can be done but not real easy.

If you plan on doing the job yourself, contact me rbdtanasi at gmail and I can give you some more pointers and things to look out for.

There is a fellow in Weatherford Texas that travels in his coach doing floors. He has done lots of motor home around the country and can give you a good idea of what he would charge to come to you and do the work. Yes he has removed tile also. He can do tile, carpet or wood. His name is Ernie Ekberg and his phone is 817-475-3991. His web site is
www.ernieekbergflooring.net

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Joe, looks like you and I are practically neighbors. I live in Foley Alabama so we are not that far apart.

I replaced the carpet in my coach twice and a friends coach twice. I was going to pull all the tile up and replace it with wood till I removed the carpet the first time. The carpet part of the floor is lower than the tile. Monaco sat a 3/8 tick plywood on top of the main floor and tile on top of that.

You are correct the tile goes all the way to the outside wall, and in my coach under some of the interior walls. I don't know if your slide is on rollers that ride on the tile like mine, but if it is, and you remove tile, then whatever you put back will need to be the same height. Also if you remove the tile and do have rollers, you will need to support the slide on the bottom with some sort of jack so you can remove the tile without the slide roller dropping down. Can be done but not real easy.

If you plan on doing the job yourself, contact me rbdtanasi at gmail and I can give you some more pointers and things to look out for.

There is a fellow in Weatherford Texas that travels in his coach doing floors. He has done lots of motor home around the country and can give you a good idea of what he would charge to come to you and do the work. Yes he has removed tile also. He can do tile, carpet or wood. His name is Ernie Ekberg and his phone is 817-475-3991. His web site is
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Hi Rex! Did you replace the carpet with more carpet or with tile? I sure wish I could find someone with my exact coach that has done this. I don't want to get into a job that is beyond my abilities. Replacing tile and carpet is one thing that I have never done, even in our home. I'm gonna call Ernie and discuss it with him.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, no, I replaced carpet with carpet. I left the tile as it was but still don't like it. Mine is the 8" square type and many of the newer coaches have a large size which looks better and does not have as many problems.

I am thinking about junking it all next summer and installing wood throughout the coach. That is a REAL BIG job but I have done worse. Should take several days to get the tile up, cut it along the walls it goes under, then pull the extra sub-floor under it after cutting it along the walls it goes under. That is the dirty part. Once that is finished installing the wood should be easy. Those multi-function power tools work great for removing and cutting tile. Be sure and use the diamond blade, makes it easier.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Rex, that sounds like too big a job for me, not having worked with tile before. My son has done tile in his house and I may get him to look at it. I talked with Ernie and would love to have him do it, but that's just more money than we want to spend right now on flooring. Thanks for your comments!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Hi Joe, I just attempted to post a long reply and ended up losing it before I got it posted. I have done what you are considering on my 02 Endeavor. I have looked at a couple of pics of a similar coach to yours and it is not all that diffrent from mine. I started a thread a while back "tile removal questions" on this board (sorry don't know how to link to it). If you wanted to search for it, it would give you some ideas of what to expect. It is a labor intensive job, but in my opinion does not require any great technical skills. If I was going to make a wild guess I would say maybe 80hrs to remove and replace. Although some hints I would give you, might speed that up a little. Let me know if you decide to tackle this. Mark
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, if you have a raised floor slide with tile under it, the new floor needs to be just about as high as the tile, otherwise the slide will not operate correctly as the rollers supporting it now roll on the tile. If you have a flat floor then there may not be a problem.

On my coach, there is a sub floor under the tile that sits on top of the main floor. Feel the carpet where it adjoins your tile and see if you feel a drop off from the tile to the carpet. I was very surprised when I removed the carpet and found that. Didn't know it was there at all.

If you have the raised floor slide, and you remove the tile and want only carpet, you will need to add sub flooring where you now have carpet to level the floor. Before doing any work you need to determine IF your rollers will adjust enough to compensate for the lack of tile. If so you can install carpet. If not, additional flooring will be needed to bring the level up so the rollers work properly.

If you have a flat floor slide, you still may need to add sub flooring in the carpet areas. Again make sure the slide will still work properly with the tile removed. It may need adjustment.

Just to show you the difference on my coach between tile and carpet, look at these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0727.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	31393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0743.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	31394  

Name:	DSCF0741 - Copy (2).jpg
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	31395   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	31396  

Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tile and Carpet

Hey there Joe,

After we got over the honeymoon phase when we got our Windsor, we noticed little things and some big ones that got us thinking about remodeling.

The tile seems to be pretty porous and the carpet seemed pretty cheap for a 250K motorhome back in 2002. On top of that, when they applied the grout in the bathroom, it got smeared on the tile and not wiped down before drying. The previous owner tried to complain (warranty claim), but there was nothing that could be done. We are going to make due for now, but will eventually have someone redo it or we might do the removal of the old stuff and let someone install the new. Wood flooring is sounding pretty good at the moment, but like you, we'd like to see how it would look with all the other wood that comes with the coach. Good luck to you on this.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. After considering the time and expense to get rid of the tile and carpet we have decided to just give the carpet a good steam cleaning and let it go at that. I do appreciate your help as always!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

nmbeemer-you make a good point about how the wood looks with all the existing wood. I initially had put down a wood look that matched very well with the existing oak cabinets. I like wood/oak but to me it was just to much of the same. That is why we changed to the tile. I'll enclose a picture for anyone curious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	013.JPG
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	31442  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if it the tile/carpet is in good conditon, thats the best move
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote