Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Anyone change the step/door switch on an S Series?

My Kwikee 42 series step stopped working. I replaced the control module but it still doesn't work. Tested the coach side of the wiring again. The in/out action is controlled by interrupting the ground running through a magnetic switch in the door frame. this time I was getting 12+ volts with the door open, and between 9.5 and 10.5 volts with it closed. I think I have a bad door activation switch.

It is a magnetic switch, so in addition to opening and closing the door to test I put a strong magnet on it and still got a voltage when it should have been zero.

Anyone replace one of these? It is a little plastic disk with two screws into the door frame on either side. No obvious way to get at the switch even if you pull the screws.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I replaced one on our coach, not too hard at all. Not wanting to pay the $20 for a brand name switch I found one on eBay that worked like ours (SCS/Lippert steps work opposite of yours, door closed made the switch open) for about $4. White instead of black, I didn't care, checked with DW and it was OK with her! This eBay listing should work for you, I believe you want what they call Normally Open or NO, it is closed with the magnet on the switch (door closed).
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #3

Thanks Stewart, but mine are round, no place to install that type without some modification.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Sorry, I didn't remember that. I noticed two types of N/O Kwikee switches in this search, if you can find one that fits and is N/O you will be able to get a better price with one from this search (had to cast a wide net as I couldn't get e-Bay to list only round switches that were cheap).

These switches are held in with a couple of flutes that catch the door frame, after removing the two screws and metal bracket you should be able to persuade it to come out by working a flat-bladed screwdriver around the lip.

Note that sometimes the security people call N/O magnetic reed switches normally closed because the switch is closed with the magnet in proximity which is it's normal operation. Happens to be what you want but it threw me for a bit until I understood their point of view.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Stewart,

Thanks, those are very similar. When I look at them I don't see what the two screws are for since there is attachment point on these switches.

I have two identical switches one above the other. The lower one has a metal plate with two screws, the upper one (the step switch) just has two screws through the door frame and no plate.

I hate taking out screws like that when you can't see what they are attached to and you could be causing a part to fall off the other side with no easy possibility to recover the part.