Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone Hit a Bridge?

This week we went around NY City and through part of Brooklyn (that's another story). In the process we went under several overpasses and bridges that were marked low clearance, some as low as 12'-6". I always thought our height was 12'-6" so it was tense but what can you do when you're in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic going 55 plus MPH? We never hit anything but when we finally got to our campground in Cape Cod I did a careful measurement and came up with 12'-8" to the top of our in motion satellite receiver, the highest point. Is there a tolerance on the marked bridge clearance or were we just lucky? Has anyone actually ever hit a bridge?
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There usually is a little 'cheat' in bridge clearance measurements, but I wouldn't depend on it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
They're suppose to be marked for the lowest clearance. That's usually at the outside edges. Yeah, I know, NOT always.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's where you lucked out, in New York all bridges are marked 1' less then they actually are UNLESS there is a sign with the height sign that says "ACTUAL". So that 12'6" bridge you went under was actually 13'6" or higher.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Roads are angled for water run off. Usually the center lane is the lowest point & what clearance is based on.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Here's where you lucked out, in New York all bridges are marked 1' less then they actually are UNLESS there is a sign with the height sign that says "ACTUAL". So that 12'6" bridge you went under was actually 13'6" or higher.
NY isn't doing me any favors. Now I think I can go under a 12'6" bridge when it was actually 13'6".
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I left my tv antenna in Harrisburg, PA. Forgot to lower it. Lesson learned.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
I always thought our height was 12'-6" so it was tense but what can you do when you're in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic going 55 plus MPH? We never hit anything but when we finally got to our campground in Cape Cod I did a careful measurement and came up with 12'-8" to the top of our in motion satellite receiver, the highest point. Is there a tolerance on the marked bridge clearance or were we just lucky? Has anyone actually ever hit a bridge?
My total height is 12'6"... A fact I established before I made my first trip. So if I saw a bridge clearance sign that said 12'6", I wouldn't go under it, no matter how fast traffic was going. Not only could I potentially do thousands of dollars in damage to my coach, but what ever came off the top could hit a car behind me and cause a pretty bad pile up. Then let the lawsuits begin... I would never "assume" as does another poster of this thread that in NYC all bridges are marked a foot lower than they actually are... That is Russian Roulette...

To avoid just such a situation, I have a GPS that steers me through routes that I don't have to worry about it. That being said, I never completely depend on technology to be diligent for me.

Lastly, who would admit to hitting a bridge?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

That is an amazing close call! Inches from a very costly incident.
Which GPS work best for RVs? I'd like to invest in one....
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
That is an amazing close call! Inches from a very costly incident.
Which GPS work best for RVs? I'd like to invest in one....
There are several threads debating this question... You can look them up. I have a Rand McNally RV GPS. You can program in all of your information such as height, weight, length, if you carry propane, etc... then it will route you appropriately. It also informs you about traffic conditions, weather, gas or diesel stops, and campgrounds... Quite a handy accessory.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
They're suppose to be marked for the lowest clearance. That's usually at the outside edges. Yeah, I know, NOT always.

is more on it then every one else

its the lowest spot and add some play in there but never see a foot

why they give some play is if there every redoing a road they can cut deeper in to the road or add some with out getting a crash

you are just lucky and was in the right line
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #12

This guy did...

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
There are several threads debating this question... You can look them up. I have a Rand McNally RV GPS. You can program in all of your information such as height, weight, length, if you carry propane, etc... then it will route you appropriately. It also informs you about traffic conditions, weather, gas or diesel stops, and campgrounds... Quite a handy accessory.
This. We have the Rand McNally RVND 7720 and have all of our data stored. It knows our weight, height, length, propane capacity etc and takes that into consideration when routing.

We also use it to find points of interest including campgrounds, rest stops, overnight parking (i.e.WalMart) fuel and what not. We love this unit.

Having said that, I'm still mindful of height and clearance. I've measured our height and input a 6" fudge factor into the RVND 7720 to account for bounce or other unforeseen occurrences.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's Australia's solution for the Sydney Harbor Tunnel:

Australia's Water Curtain Stop Signs Are A Great Idea

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote