Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Anyone operating the VMS-Air by Silverleaf?

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to check to see if anyone is using the VMS-Air Wi-Fi Wireless version of VMSpc by Silverleaf?

This is the version that will work with Apples iPod.

I understand that the screen presentation is different but can all of the same information be presented as the standard windows VMSpc version?
Can I get fault codes with the air version?

Just thought I would ask before I rush to buy one version over the other.

Thanks
Adam.
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Adam,
I didn't know there was an iPod version of VMS until seeing your post. According to a post dated 2013-06-13 on the Silverleaf forum they say they are "hard at work on iPad and Android versions of VMSpc, and before the year is over we plan on having VMSpc running on pretty much any kind of tablet and any (electronic) diesel pusher". You can see the actual post here: Running VMSpc on a Surface Pro | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
I'm assuming the gauges and the screen layout will be as configurable as the windows version.
I have been waiting for years for Silverleaf to produce an Android/Bluetooth version so am hoping this post is true. The iPod version appearing shows that something is happening which is encouraging.
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
KIX

Will VMSpc work on my tablet? | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

check the above link to see what you can run VMSpc on.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #4

VMSpc is a different format than VMS-Air.

I was looking for some feedback directly from a user to see how the screen actually appeared on the iPAD.

Silverleaf has the VMS-Air priced at $395 USD about $100 more than VMSpc.
I requested that they send me some examples of how the software looks on the iPad, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Adam
Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanPilot View Post
I'm assuming the gauges and the screen layout will be as configurable as the windows version.
I have been waiting for years for Silverleaf to produce an Android/Bluetooth version so am hoping this post is true. The iPod version appearing shows that something is happening which is encouraging.
I wish I shared your optimism. They've been saying that an iPad version is in the works for a few years now. I hope it finally comes out. And I don't know if your assumption about the screen flexibility will pan out, again, I hope it does.

I can't find the forum posts right now, but where they discuss the iPod version, they complain that the screen layout is limited and not configurable, and they ask if custom screen layouts are coming. The answer was that it was not likely since it would require a complete rewrite of the existing Windows-only code. Based on that, I'm not holding my breath that the iPad or Android versions will have all of the screen layout features of the Windows version.

I sure hope I'm wrong...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just out of curiosity, I went looking through the App Store for the iPod version, and what do I find? The iPad version! So it does actually exist, and it's a free download. But looking at it, I see what people are saying about limited customization possibilities.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-514349232.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	49561

It looks like you get a long scrollable list of text-only read outs. It would appear you can add/delete/reorder them, and do some configuration (probably setting units.) But it won't let me at any of those controls since I'm not connected to the interface device. Nothing at all like the windows version. I'm underwhelmed. :(
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Adam, If you have an iPad, you can go to the App Store and download VMS-air for free so you can play around with it and see the screen layout. I have done this on my iPad and was not very impressed due to the lack of ability to configure the screen like you can with VMSpc. There is a diagnostics section in VMS-air so you may be able to get the info you are asking about. I'm guessing that the higher cost of VMS-air is because of the wifi jib that is required for VMS-air as opposed to the usb jib for VMSpc. I suggest calling Silverleaf to get accurate information. I called them and asked to be put on the list to be notified when the Android VMSpc becomes available. They will also place callers on the notification list for iPad VMSpc availability.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
ShapeShifter, go to this post and read it all the way through to the bottom. This is why I got my hopes up for an Android version of VMSpc.
Running VMSpc on a Surface Pro | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
I too am skeptical but am giving them a last chance - you never know.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

Ok, thanks everyone.

I will hit itunes and download the software and have a look at it.

I will have to call silverleaf back and ask them about advanced settings and the availability of fault codes.

Thanks
Adam