RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

Anyone replace a 13,500 btu a/c with 15,000?

Wondering if anyone has replaced theire 13,500 btu a/c, heat pump with a 15,000 btu??? If so was there a noticable a/c improvement??

Thanks,

Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

You bet there was an improvement,But what we did was to remove the D/T 13,500 btu and install a Carrier 15,000 btu and remove the ducting so all the air blows in the frontroom,much much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Wondering if anyone has replaced theire 13,500 btu a/c, heat pump with a 15,000 btu??? If so was there a noticable a/c improvement??

Thanks,

Ed

rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Wondering if anyone has replaced their 13,500 BTU a/c, heat pump with a 15,000 btu??? If so was there a noticeable a/c improvement??
Thanks,
Ed
SacsTC and I will do this change the NEXT time there is a problem with the front unit...all of the research and the "first hand info" we have received will put us to that point...Great A/C will not be passed by!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our coach the build sheet said it had 15000 A/C units. The front never cooled very well from the start. During factory service at Wildwood the a/c was working properly but the tech noticed it was a 13500 unit in front and 15000 in back. After MUCH discussion with Monaco they changed it out for a 15000 unit. What an amazing difference. We are currently parked in no shade and it was 98 degrees yesterday and the coach was 73 degrees. I am happy with that performance.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
You bet there was an improvement,But what we did was to remove the D/T 13,500 btu and install a Carrier 15,000 btu and remove the ducting so all the air blows in the frontroom,much much better.
We considered that at Myrtle Beach several weeks ago. The salesman at CW said it may depend on how the ducting is routed so that there is enough for air volume or it may freeze up. So he recommended to stay with the 13,500 btu. Me being A/C challenged, I just nodded and didn't argue. We elected to wait and get a second opinion.

How did you remove the ducting (from the roof after removing the old A/C)? How is the noise level without the duct? Is it the same, worse or less?

Wayne
Old 08-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #6

Good questions Wayne, I sure was thinking about the noise level difference also but not sure I would be willing to remove any air ducting. Would that be required to upgrade?? Someone could correct me if I am wrong but would be able to have the heat pump in a 15,000 btu s/c unit also? right?

Thanks
Ed
Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne,
After you remove the four nuts that hold the roof unit on,the ducting you see from inside,comes right out,you do need to seal/tape up the duct going to the front and rear,after that you have a straight shot down,the noise level is about the same.The cooling is much better,The wife is happy again,That's what counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeldo View Post
We considered that at Myrtle Beach several weeks ago. The salesman at CW said it may depend on how the ducting is routed so that there is enough for air volume or it may freeze up. So he recommended to stay with the 13,500 btu. Me being A/C challenged, I just nodded and didn't argue. We elected to wait and get a second opinion.

How did you remove the ducting (from the roof after removing the old A/C)? How is the noise level without the duct? Is it the same, worse or less?

Wayne
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #8

Phil,
Are you saying with the 15,000 btu unit you cannot use the ceing ducting???
Ed
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you currently have a Dometic A/C the 13500 and the 15000 are the same except for cooling size. Ours has the option to either run through the ceiling vents or direct flow from the A/C simply by opening or closing the grate.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ed,
You can get the carrier with the ducting part,but we wanted ALL the air to blow in front part of the moho.

Quote:
Phil,
Are you saying with the 15,000 btu unit you cannot use the ceing ducting???
Ed
Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our last moho an Allegro Bus had that option,but this Safari does not,now we do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
If you currently have a Dometic A/C the 13500 and the 15000 are the same except for cooling size. Ours has the option to either run through the ceiling vents or direct flow from the A/C simply by opening or closing the grate.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I recently replaced my front 13,500 BTU Penguin Low Profile Heat Pump with a new 15,000 BTU Penguin Low Profile Heat Pump unit in the front part of our 2002 Monaco Windsor PBT coach. The new unit cools the rig down with no problems however I have noticed a difference in blower noise volume due to the higher fan rotation. I will be replacing the rear 13,500 BTU unit with a newer Penguin Low Profile Heat Pump but staying with the 13,500 BTU unit. I really can't tell if there is a significant cooling difference between the old 13,500 BTU versus the 15,000 BTU unit however there is a significant noise volume difference. Both of these units use the 5 button Comfort Control Center. The model number for the 15,000 BTU unit was 630516.321C and the model number for the 13,500 BTU unit was 630515.321C. I hope this information is useful.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just got mine replaced. The RV tech found original 13.5k unit was only providing about a 15 degree difference between the input air and output air. The spec calls for 20 degrees. He wrote it up for the extended warranty company and they approved the replacement. I worked with the tech and he ordered a 15K unit. The install took maybe an hour. Total cost to me 200 deductible and price delta. The new AC does a much better job of cooling, however because of the Atrium windows and Panavision Windshield it is still hard to get real cool in 100+ degree weather. I was able to keep the old 13.5K unit and since it still works kinda OK I may remove the front fantastic fan and put in the AC.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
Just got mine replaced. The RV tech found original 13.5k unit was only providing about a 15 degree difference between the input air and output air. The spec calls for 20 degrees. He wrote it up for the extended warranty company and they approved the replacement. I worked with the tech and he ordered a 15K unit. The install took maybe an hour. Total cost to me 200 deductible and price delta. The new AC does a much better job of cooling, however because of the Atrium windows and Panavision Windshield it is still hard to get real cool in 100+ degree weather. I was able to keep the old 13.5K unit and since it still works kinda OK I may remove the front fantastic fan and put in the AC.
Not a bad idea. In the tips sticky HappyCarz did a write up on installing a 3rd AC. He integrated it with the existing ducting (I think) but it might be ok to let it duct directly into the room and use it to help get the coach cooled down quickly.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote