Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AP number - does every part have its own number or is it by system?

I need to get the air pressure switch (or it may be a called a solenoid) for my HWH Air-leveling compressor. This is the N.C. switch that opens when pressure reaches 115psi to turn off electric compressor.

I went to HWH website and looked at air pressure switches and air solenoids, but there are a lot and they all are listed by AP number, so I need that number first to be sure to get the correct part.

My question is about these AP numbers. Is there a separate AP number for every item/part in the HWH system, or is there one AP number for the specific leveling system "model" installed on my coach, and once I find that number all the parts will be listed under that "system" number?

I did find an AP number on the HWH Control box, but that number was not listed in the column for the Air switch. I could not see a tag or number on the Air Compressor or related parts (but I have not removed the part yet either).
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Whatever the AP # is, it sounds like the HWH individual part #. In worse case, jot down the controller AP# and if there is a model #, that as well and call HWH parts directly and describe the N.O. pressure switch to them. The HWH parts person should be very familiar with the parts they supply and have all the factory cross reference books (which are the key thing to have here) at his disposal. He should be able to use the controller AP# to cross to a system and derrive the proper AP# for the pressure switch. Good luck.
Mike Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You can also find these on eBay. Just search for pressure switch. Should be an on/off range of about 100/115. The lower number is not critical.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

The pressure switch on our '06 Dynasty is a NASON, Part #SM-2B-115R/WL284. According to the HWH manual, the switch opens at 115 and closes at 105 psi.

Here is a link to a switch that MIGHT work. It is Part #SM-2B-115R443. I don't know what the difference is between the WL284 and the 443 on the end of the part numbers. You might follow this link and see if you can contact them and find out what the difference is. It may be just the electrical terminals on the device as they are different, but certainly look to be adaptable.

https://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2006.htm
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
The pressure switch on our '06 Dynasty is a NASON, Part #SM-2B-115R/WL284. According to the HWH manual, the switch opens at 115 and closes at 105 psi.

Here is a link to a switch that MIGHT work. It is Part #SM-2B-115R443. I don't know what the difference is between the WL284 and the 443 on the end of the part numbers. You might follow this link and see if you can contact them and find out what the difference is. It may be just the electrical terminals on the device as they are different, but certainly look to be adaptable.

https://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2006.htm
Thanks. I believe that is the switch I'm looking for.
The "WL" stands for "Wire leads". Electrical Options | Nason

One thing I want to sure about is if the switch needs a "Rising Set point" or a "Falling Set Point" - which is the "R" in the part number, or a "F" for the other style.

I found this explanation of how the switch works - and the change in set point sounds important. I just don't understand if it needs to be raising or falling.

I'm really not sure how important this is - and you said it works on your coach, so I think the part you linked to is the correct one. However, I also found a similar Nason switch (N.C.) with a 90 psi "falling set point". And its a little cheaper. http://www.partdeal.com/nason-low-pr...sm-2b-90f.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Air Compressor switch operation.pdf (37.5 KB, 27 views)
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

The part number that I gave you is actually from a picture I took of the switch on our actual pump assembly, so it is accurate. The HWH documentation says the switch is normally closed, and that it opens at 115 psi, which would be a "rising set-point" action. It would then stay open, and the compressor would remain OFF until the pressure dropped to 105 psi, at which time it would close, enabling the compressor to run, again.

It might be suggested to say that the "rising" set-point would be applicable to control systems where the controlled parameter needs to be "at or below", and a "falling" set-point might be applicable where the controlled parameter wants to be "at or above". In the case of our HWH systems, we want to make sure the compressor shuts off before the air pressure rises too high. Hence the "rising set-point" requirement.

As far as the pressure switch is concerned alone, the compressor should always be ready to run until the pressure reaches 115 psi. Then it should shut it off until the pressure drops to below 105 psi. At that point, it should return to its normally closed state and allow the compressor to run, again. The remaining critical piece of the control system is a relay in the control unit that calls for air to raise one or more of the corners of the coach, and only when it needs to make the adjustment. When that happens, it tells the compressor to run, and since the pressure switch already wants it to run, it will, until the coach reaches the desired height and the relay control signal goes away. it is unlikely that that lower pressure set-point will be a significant controlling factor as the air pressure will likely be below that set-point for the entire inflation period, as the compressor surely can't keep up with the real time demand of inflating the air bags. If the air supply does happen to reach or be above 115 psi, the next time the system calls for air, the supply will quickly deplete, the low set-point will be reached and the switch will return to its normally closed position, and the cycle will repeat.

The way I would sum it up, the relay calls for air only when it is actually needed. The pressure switch tries to make sure there's enough when it is called for. Together, they're a pretty good team.

If it were me, I would opt for the "rising set-point" device as I would prefer the pressure to always stay at-or-below 115 psi, therefore I would want the first operation of the pressure switch to a pressure rising action at the 115 psi level.

I'll bet I've just confused everybody, possibly including myself. But I think you're going to make the right choices. If you learn otherwise, please share it.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote