Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Aqua Hot Expansion Tank ???

I have a model 100-02S AquaHot unit that was recently rebuilt and is now installed in my 2004 Dynasty. I would like to move the expansion tank to a better location for filling and easier access. The tank has one feed/return line at the top and is plumbed into the top filler hole on the unit.
I need to know if when I move the tank does it have to be at the same elevation as the top of the unit's tank filler or can it be lower or higher and still function correctly in determining the level of boiler fluid.
Thanks
Dave
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

I would believe if you were to relocate it to a lower position and open the system it will siphon out the system because of being lower the original location. I have one on my Hurricane system and its location is higher than the burner itself, also has a surge tank working with the expansion tank.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

This expansion tank works just like the one one most autos. If the radiator is full, as it heats up, the fluid expands and pushes past the pressure cap to the expansion tank. When shut off, the fluid cools, reduces in volume and pulls from the expansion tank so that the radiator remains full. Just as the expansion tank on your car doesn’t need to be level with the top of the radiator, this expansion tank doesn’t need to be level with the fluid in the AH.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygold View Post
I have a model 100-02S AquaHot unit that was recently rebuilt and is now installed in my 2004 Dynasty. I would like to move the expansion tank to a better location for filling and easier access. The tank has one feed/return line at the top and is plumbed into the top filler hole on the unit.

I need to know if when I move the tank does it have to be at the same elevation as the top of the unit's tank filler or can it be lower or higher and still function correctly in determining the level of boiler fluid.

Thanks

Dave

You should call AquaHot customer service & ask this question. I don’t believe there are any specific requirements as to mounting height.

The feed/return line actually exits the bottle at the bottom. The top fitting is for an overflow line.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,

My initial thought agreed with 1doodad, but http://www.aquahot.com/files/install...nual_07-05.pdf page 47 says it canbe located above or below the unit.

Cheers,
Old 12-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, in our 2004 the Aqua Hot expansion tank is mounted in the basement fuel compartment on the forward bulkhead. I assume yours is in the same place? It can be difficult to access but it requires so little use I haven't thought about relocating it.
In our 2007 the expansion tank was in the rear bulk head next to the engine (a much higher location). It was easier to access but again it only needs servicing once per year.

Was your system leaking boiler fluid before the rebuild?
Hopefully once you get all the air out you will not need to access it again for a very long time.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Dave, in our 2004 the Aqua Hot expansion tank is mounted in the basement fuel compartment on the forward bulkhead. I assume yours is in the same place? It can be difficult to access but it requires so little use I haven't thought about relocating it.
In our 2007 the expansion tank was in the rear bulk head next to the engine (a much higher location). It was easier to access but again it only needs servicing once per year.

Hopefully once you get all the air out you will not need to access it again for a very long time.
Yes mine had a leak in both the boiler tank and the water side as well. It was rebuilt by John at Heat My RV.
Took some time to install, but not as hard as I had envisioned. She fired right up and good to go with the hot water side anyway. Now if I could only get the fans at the hydronic outlets to work. My next endeavor.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

Mine is/was in the same place, however when I put the rebuilt AquaHot in, I did't like the look of the return line. It was easier to move the the bottle and plumb a new and shorter piece of tubing.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

That's a good question for Roger Berkeley over at http://www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com

He helped me get out AquaHot heat going. The water side worked fine but the furnace side wouldn't

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Expansion tank question

I have a 2001 Monaco with the aqua hot and love it! For some reason the coolant level in the overflow tank never moves. I have removed the radiator cap on top and the level is up to the cap. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
I have a 2001 Monaco with the aqua hot and love it! For some reason the coolant level in the overflow tank never moves. I have removed the radiator cap on top and the level is up to the cap. Any ideas?

Try turning both the electric element and the diesel burner off over night. If the system is working correctly, as the coolant tank cools, the level in the expansion tank will fall.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
May be time for a new radiator cap.
Also, check the rad cap end of the clear hose that feeds the overflow tank. Over time, it get's brittle.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Aquahot tank

Thanks for the replies.the cap was my first guess. It was bad, but the new one didn’t change the level in the expansion tank.

Tags
tank