RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua hot not heating on electric strips?

My 2000 Monaco Executive has the dual aqua hot system and it heats the coach on diesel just fine. After the coach comes up to temp, to the best of my knowledge it is supposed to switch to the heat strips to maintain temp and then automatically switch back to diesel if the heat strips can not keep up with the temp.

It is plugged into a 50 amp service and when first turned on the diesel burner heats the unit up and then it shuts off and the room fans all keep running. Later I check and the room temp will have dropped and I can feel the water supply lines in the coach and they are cold to the touch and the room fans are all still blowing cold air.

I have all three zone thermostats set to furn and for the unit to maintain 70! I have the basement temp set to the max (50) and it too is not heating.

I am a new owner of this unit and a newbie to RVing! Instructions for the use of the heating and AC are vague to say the least so I am wondering what I am missing! Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #2

You have to turn on the switch for the 110v heater element. Usually net to the diesel switch. Both can be on.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You left the diesel switch turned on, but the burner never fired up again?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jeff,

There is a separate switch for the Aqua-hot diesel burner and the Aqua-hot 110(120)V electric heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	306014

Above is a pic of what ours looks like, you can see the big rocker for the diesel and a small switch for the 110V electric. The 110V electric heater will take much longer to heat up the system, but once up to temp is ok for smaller demands. Hot water for washing hands, doing dishes, quick showers and so on. However, the demands on hot water for running the furnace and for taking long showers, requires the diesel heater to be on.

Also just in case, it is important that all thermostats are set to the same function for the system to work properly. In this case, make sure all thermostats (and zones) are set for 'Furnace'.

Does that answer you question? When the diesel and/or electric switches are on for the Aqua-hot, the system will automatically turn on and off to keep the boiler at the correct temperature.

Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
You have to turn on the switch for the 110v heater element. Usually net to the diesel switch. Both can be on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You left the diesel switch turned on, but the burner never fired up again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
Hi Jeff,

There is a separate switch for the Aqua-hot diesel burner and the Aqua-hot 110(120)V electric heater.

Attachment 306014

Above is a pic of what ours looks like, you can see the big rocker for the diesel and a small switch for the 110V electric. The 110V electric heater will take much longer to heat up the system, but once up to temp is ok for smaller demands. Hot water for washing hands, doing dishes, quick showers and so on. However, the demands on hot water for running the furnace and for taking long showers, requires the diesel heater to be on.

Also just in case, it is important that all thermostats are set to the same function for the system to work properly. In this case, make sure all thermostats (and zones) are set for 'Furnace'.

Does that answer you question? When the diesel and/or electric switches are on for the Aqua-hot, the system will automatically turn on and off to keep the boiler at the correct temperature.

Josh
Thanks guys you all are amazing!

I did find this switch earlier and it is where I have been turning on the diesel aquahot system, but it never sank in that the water heater 110v was tied into the aqua hot system.

I have them both on now and all zones set to furn with a temp of 68, my outside temp is around 50 today so I think the electric strip should be able to keep up with the demand. I will know later and update.

Ben, I did leave the diesel turned on and it cycled off after it came up to temp and then never came on again even though the temp (set at 72) at that time had dropped to 48 degrees inside the coach on the thermostat readout. I'm hoping that with the electric not on, it didn't realize it was supposed to turn the diesel back on when temp went down. I will update after monitoring tonight!

Jeff
Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texomaman73 View Post
I have them both on now and all zones set to furn with a temp of 68, my outside temp is around 50 today so I think the electric strip should be able to keep up with the demand. I will know later and update.

Ben, I did leave the diesel turned on and it cycled off after it came up to temp and then never came on again even though the temp (set at 72) at that time had dropped to 48 degrees inside the coach on the thermostat readout. I'm hoping that with the electric not on, it didn't realize it was supposed to turn the diesel back on when temp went down. I will update after monitoring tonight!

Jeff
Even at those temps, it is a significant heat draw to send hot water (antifreeze) too all the zones and radiators. When furnace is on, diesel should be on. (In our experience). The difference in temperature outside to inside, effects how long the furnace runs and how often. But just to run it once, requires quite a bit of thermal transfer to the anti-freeze, which I'm not sure the electric alone can supply.

Regardless of which heat source is on, when the Aqua-hot boiler calls for heat it will use whatever is switched on. If only diesel is on, it will fire up the burner to heat up the boiler. The electric heater is really a secondary source, used when heating demands are very low.

Based on the above, I'm wondering if your thermostats are not calling for heat properly. Be sure to check all the zones are set to furnace. Sometimes we have to turn our thermostat off and back on again to reset it when we switch functions (cool, heat, furnace).

Let us know how you make out. Sounds like maybe your preference is to not run the diesel, has it had it's annual service recently? If it is smoking, that is a good indicator it is in need of cleaning and annual service. If your concern is about fuel consumption, the AH uses only about 1/2 gallon per hour. Pretty small when considering we have 200 gallon fuel tanks.

Hope that helps!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The diesel burner should be able to be used exclusively without the electric. It may be that the unit needs service and the burner just didn't fire back up or that one of your thermostats wasn't set properly.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You can cycle the diesel burner switch off and on and it most likely will start again and run through another cycle. If this is the case each time I would check your aqua hot internal thermostats. This is what happened to my unit and it was a bad LOW temp thermostat for the diesel side. (it has high and low thermostats for both diesel and electric) See picture.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aqua Hot Thermostats.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	306048  

Tags
aqua hot, electric, heat, heating