Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #1

Aqua hot not working

Hi guys and gals, we have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty Emperor IV, we have an aqua hot model ahe-100-04s. We have done a tune up, flushed the entire system and replaced the ignition coil and radiator cap. We haven't changed the circulation pump as of yet. When my husband taps on the ignition coil it start up again and inevitably by the time we wake up the morning the aqua hot light is off and won't stay on and it's blowing cold air in the living room and kitchen the bedroom is working fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Now my husband is also worried about the electric water heater so as of right now we have no heat and no hot water. Not a good thing with temps here in Ft. Lupton Co dipping in the 20's and 30's at night and early mornings. When the temps get that low I worry about our tanks freezing. I should also mention that we live in ours full time and are hooked up to full hook ups. Thank you all for input on how we can fix this darn aqua hot.
Danhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
By tapping on the ignition coil to make the diesel burner fire indicates the possibility of lose connections at the coil itself. If the coil was recently replaced as indicated I would check there first. There is also the possibility the replacement coil is defective. There is no harm in keeping the electric element on so you would have hot water and a little bit of heat. Electric heaters provide comfort heat under these conditions since you are connected to shore power.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

Thank you, we do have an electric heater going. I will have the husband check the coil again. You may be right I have gotten defective parts for vehicles before.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the burner is shutting down, and light switching off, I don't see how you are still getting heat from the bedroom heat exchanger.
Do you have the AH electric element turned on as well?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

If it is freezing out make sure your wet bay is working off the Aqua-hot. The ac won't
heat the whole RV so make sure the wet bay is warm and buy electrical space heaters
to heat the rest of the areas. I have seen defective new parts before. The controler
could be defective. I had one that would light up the burner and the next time it wouldn't.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Danhogg - The symptoms you are describing are inconsistent. I'll get to that in a moment, but I just checked the forecast for Ft Lupton and you don't have to worry about tanks freezing, or for that matter, your Aquahot freezing. Regarding being comfortable, I carry a couple of electric space heaters just because the AH is less than perfectly reliable.

Now, about your reported symptoms:
  • Light off in the morning - I've had multiple issues causing this including a bad ground at the AH board, the Intellitec Multiplex losing its mind and needing a re-start, and low voltage. This problem needs systematic exploration and recording of the reaction. For example, can you just turn it on again or is there something else required?
  • Cold air from the living room and kitchen but the bedroom is fine - this is inconsistent with the first symptom. It is not possible to have heat in the bedroom but the unit is off long enough to send cold coolant to the other heat exchangers. If the unit is on and hot, it is possible to have no heat at some zones and heat at one. I've had that because I let the coolant get old and it gelled in the front zone (long loop) in really cold weather. It can also happen because the coolant is not diluted enough and the circulation pump for one or more zones are stuck. This can be diagnosed in some cases by tapping the valve body with a hammer and jarring it loose. It can also be cause by unpurged air in the loop. It can also be caused by a bad connection at the board, a bad board, a blown fuse at the board, failing to send power to the pump, and it can be caused by a bad pump. You can also have a bad low or high temp sensor in the boiler.

It is not possible to have no heat at the boiler and heat at ANY zones.

• The electric heater not working is common in this model. I just replaced the 120v temp sensor and the electric is working again. This may be unrelated to your other problems and as my doctor point out once (when I was recounting all the symptoms I had experienced) that I was allowed to have two things wrong with me at the same time. Common problem to look for one solution to all the symptoms when there may be more than one problem.

Better help will come if you can be much more specific about what behaviour you are seeing, including what lights are on (I take the cover off the AH board to see it more clearly), and if the indicators are turning on the circulation pumps.
BTW, my last observation is that you mention replacing the circulation pump, I assume you know there are FOUR, and getting them out is a miserable job.

When you can precisely describe what is going on, consider posting the symptoms to Roger Berke's forum - RV Hydronic Heater Forum - word of advice, join now since it takes him a little while to admit you.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

All lights are on on the aqua hot board. My husband noticed that the reserve tank was empty this morning. As far as the switch in the kitchen you can turn it on again and it shuts off by itself within a few minutes, electric works fine, thinking that's why heat in bedroom is good. Not sure though. Hopefully the husband can get it to work without having to call a tech to come out and charge us an arm, a leg and first born. Lol.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is my understanding that the AH burner will automatically shut down if the sensors indicate low boiler antifreeze.

Since your DH just serviced the unit he could have inadvertently allowed air to get into the line. Mine was serviced by the dealer just before I picked it up and the AH would heat up and shut off. I could flip the switch off and then back on and it would fire up. Come to find out they had forgot to purge the line and in doing so it took another 4 gallons. Now working perfectly.

Tapping the coil and the AH fires up indicates either a loose connection or a bad coil. Recommend checking all connections since DH just serviced the unit.

Let us know how you come out. Nothing worse than waking up cold. Glad you have a couple of electric heaters - I will be carrying 2 with me when we hit the road.

Stay safe - Richard
Old 03-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
It is my understanding that the AH burner will automatically shut down if the sensors indicate low boiler antifreeze.
This sounds like at least part of your problem.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #10

Yes
Old 03-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #11

Husband found a leak at the drain valve.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #12

The plastic drain valves will fail from repeated heat/cool cycles. If you have to change it, get a brass one.

BTW, you can't have any source of heat at the boiler, and it only gets to one zone without a problem in the distribution system. In other words, only having electric heat will not cause heat only to one zone, and while we are on the subject, you will always have hot water if you have any source of heat.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is it possible that the one sone that is working has a functional pump, and he 2 zones providing no heat have a pump that is not spinning. I had this happen after non use over the summer on one pump. Took cover off and tapped lightly on each pump and it took right off providing heat. Roger told me to do that. He knows his stuff. Just a thought that might help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #14

Leak fixed, now on to the next thing with this aqua hot.

Tags
aqua hot