Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think a Navigator would come with a 600 series AH.

Rob, does your control panel have two switches labeled 'electric' ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
RobRoy,

I sense your frustration, but trouble-shooting these things takes a bit of time and back and forth to get a better understanding the exact nature of your problem. Please bear with us, we really are trying to help.

Let me start with your last question first. Given that you have a 2004 coach I would imagine your model is AHE-100-04S since that is the date on my Service Manual for that model. You can find a copy of the user manual here.

In this document you will see that the "Marking Plate" with the model number and other information is on the inside wall of your Aqua-Hot. But, I thought all Monaco coaches had a build list on the back of one of the cabinet doors like ours does. Ours is located on the back of the main bathroom cabinet door. This document should show the model number and serial number of your Vehicle System unit. Short of this alternative you will need to remove the cover to see the "Marking Plate".

Second, the whirring sound you hear is actually the blower starting up to clean out the air path and to prepare for the diesel spray to follow shortly thereafter. When the spray starts there is supposed to be a corresponding ignition spark to ignite the atomized diesel. A photosensitive cell is activated to see if there is a flame in the chamber. If there is no flame registered, the injector pump shuts down and the blower continues on for a period of time to clear out diesel fumes to insure there is no combustibles left in the chamber. From your description this is what you are witnessing. The fact that you can smell diesel suggests that everything but the ignition is working on the first time. Why you get a "normal" startup on the second try is confusing. Since, a failing spark coil should fail on both the first and second time.

My first thought when you said this seems to only manifest itself when you are in very cold temps was that you were experiencing some sort of diesel gelling issue. But, the fact that it fires OK the second time when things are still cold makes me question that alternative. But, if you have some gelling on the first time this could act the same way as a faulty vaporizing jet.

One question that does arise is whether or not you had the electrical unit on at the time you were trying to start the diesel. The reason here is to know if your Aqua-Hot would have been really cold or was it warm from the electrical heater.

We can figure this out.
Bob
Bob thank you for your valuable information. Im sure you are correct and that we can figure this out however the issue at this point is the working in the cold weather, Im not geared for this. I am going to check out the heat switch being on or off when the failure to light happens and to get a direction to head in.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Rocker Switches on dash are:

Aquahot

Engine Heat

Block Heater

Heater switch in galley "On / Off"
Old 01-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #18

Quick FYI. We've had our coach for 10 years now, and over those years, since new, on occasion, after not using the coach for several weeks, we've had the same experience on the initial startup of our AquaHot. When I get a "failure to launch", I shut off the "AH Diesel" switch in the coach, wait a couple of seconds and turn it back on. I actually kind of expect this. It's never failed on the second go. So far, each time, it's been 100% reliable until the next extended storage period.

We have our AH serviced every two years by qualified service techs such as John Carillo in Yuma, or Cameron's in Tucson.

Also, we rarely use the burner, and we get adequate zone 2 heat and two showers easily, on the electric-only. (Front of the coach on the heat pump & a small space heater, as needed) But its way warmer down here than it is in Anchorage, so don't really need the additional BTU/Hr energy input from the diesel.
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

Leave the aquahot system on 24/7 or the switch on 24/7?

Where do you get a manual and where is the model number located at?

Thanks in advance
RobRoy,

I leave the Aqua-Hot switch in the ON position 24/7. However I am a full-time RV'er and I forgot that possibly you are not. So, when you are not using your coach then the Aqua-Hot switch should be turned off when the coach is in storage.

ALL the manuals that you may want to download are available HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

The Aqua-Hot 600 is a newer unit that wasn't built back in 2004. He most likely has one of the AHE-100 series units.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We have an AH series 100 unit in our 04 SIG. When we got the coach 3 years ago, we had the same problem as RobRoy describes. After about 3 months (we're full timers) I finally had the igniter coil replaced and we haven't had a problem since. Our unit is on 24/7 when were plugged in and always on when traveling.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
RobRoy,

I leave the Aqua-Hot switch in the ON position 24/7. However I am a full-time RV'er and I forgot that possibly you are not. So, when you are not using your coach then the Aqua-Hot switch should be turned off when the coach is in storage.

Ahhh Haaa I see now! I dont use my coach 24/7 but I do store it inside here at my home.

ALL the manuals that you may want to download are available HERE.

The Aqua-Hot 600 is a newer unit that wasn't built back in 2004. He most likely has one of the AHE-100 series units.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks again
Old 01-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #22

Follow up on my Aquahot after reading the responses here.

Yesterday on the second attempt to fire off the Aquahot it fired right up and ran and ran clean. So I let it run and brought up the temp inside the coach to 68f from 30f ambient in a few hours and then shut it down.

About four hours later I walked out tried I again… and it fired right up again. At this point I looked at the heater switch (not the Aquahot Switch that someone mentioned ) and realized it was in the “ON” position and as someone mentioned that it possibly being warm may have helped it fire off correctly ?

So before I called it a night, I shut off all the switches both the “Aquahot - “Engine Heat” and “Heat”.

This morning I re-read all the posts here and then went out and tried to fire it up and Walla! It fired right off....and clean as a whistle.

Sooo as of now, I don’t know and Im going to live with it for the time being

I guess it could be dirt related?

Perhaps a spider nest or insect related affecting the photo cell?

Fuel gelling issue? (Although it’s fresh fuel with stanadyne and 30f)

I never could find model # for the Aquahot, I looked Inside ALL the cabinets of the coach and nothing!...... and as I stated before I’m not capable of Aquahot cave diving ...at least at this juncture.

Thanks again for all of your detailed help. What a great forum and wealth of information.

PS: Here at the iRV2 forums am I the only one that when going to “locating service centers by state” seem to get nowhere and links to a non working site/link?

I would love to get some feedback on service centers in S.E. Michigan
Old 01-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
For future questions the following forum is specific on Aqua Hot/Hydo Hot units by a professional and you can order parts from.
RV Hydronic Heater Forum
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Follow up on my Aquahot after reading the responses here.

I never could find model # for the Aquahot, I looked Inside ALL the cabinets of the coach and nothing!...... and as I stated before I’m not capable of Aquahot cave diving ...at least at this juncture.

PS: Here at the iRV2 forums am I the only one that when going to “locating service centers by state” seem to get nowhere and links to a non working site/link?

I would love to get some feedback on service centers in S.E. Michigan
RobRoy,

The data-plate with the Aqua-Hot model number is on the boiler Tank which is on the inside of the unit. You have to remove the cover first to access that area. This same cover is removed to perform service on the Webasto burner, etc.

I have no problem using the Aqua-Hot web site and accessing all of their information including the map that has many certified Aqua-Hot service centers between Michigan and Florida.

Plus you don't say what route you are taking to Florida or where you are staying while in Florida. If it were me I would go to Alliance Coach in Wildwood Florida just off the I-75. They used to be a Monaco dealer and many of the people working there know the Monaco/Holiday Rambler brands quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post

For future questions the following forum is specific on Aqua Hot/Hydo Hot units by a professional and you can order parts from.
RV Hydronic Heater Forum
I totally agree!

For anyone one that owns an Aqua-Hot system, joining Roger Berke's Hydronic Heating discussion forum is a MUST.

A lot of invaluable information and knowledge there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I'm located in Southeast Michigan as well ... while they don't show up on Aquahot's list of service centers, I just had the new General RV Center in Wixom troubleshoot and repair a persistent (and somewhat tricky to diagnose) issue with the Aquahot in my 2012 Endeavor. They worked closely with the Aquahot technical support folks and were about to identify the root cause and fix it. I was happy with their service on this issue. I'd certainly consider them for future work if/when I need it!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'm located in Southeast Michigan as well ... while they don't show up on Aquahot's list of service centers, I just had the new General RV Center in Wixom troubleshoot and repair a persistent (and somewhat tricky to diagnose) issue with the Aquahot in my 2012 Endeavor. They worked closely with the Aquahot technical support folks and were about to identify the root cause and fix it. I was happy with their service on this issue. I'd certainly consider them for future work if/when I need it!

Thanks for your input. I called them recently and they said they could service the aquahot. However I think I'm going to forgo servicing the aquahot until I get back from Florida because I don't want to risk it being in for service or held up being torn apart waiting for parts as Im due to head out here in the next two weeks. I seems to start fine if you repeat the start after shutting it down from a no start a time or two.

Im sure that forgoing the repair for the time being will be the kiss of death and that Murphy's law will apply and Ill be caught in the cold.

Thanks again
Old 01-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
...I think I'm going to forgo servicing the aquahot until I get back from Florida because I don't want to risk it being in for service or held up being torn apart waiting for parts as Im due to head out here in the next two weeks.
I hear ya! If parts are involved - you can pretty much count on there being a wait. In my case - our Aquahot issue took some time to diagnose (primarily because the symptoms only because apparent once the ambient outdoor temps hit the low 30's). The original diagnosis was that the issue was with the "Low Temperature Cutoff Thermostat". We replaced that in early November ... then parked the coach on the storage lot. It wasn't until mid-December that I realized the new Low Temp Thermostat didn't resolve the issue.

I dropped it off at General RV on Monday, December 21st ... they were able to diagnose the issue - narrowing it down to the primary thermostat by Wednesday morning - and get the necessary part on order. However, the RV industry apparently shuts down for the most part between Christmas and New Years. Parts weren't delivered until Tuesday, January 5th. I picked the coach up on Thursday, January 7th - and left for Florida (with working heat!!!! :-) ) early Saturday morning, January 9th. All things considered - I was happy with the turnaround - especially considering the holiday shutdown. I was pleased that General RV seemed responsive to my need to pick up the coach in time for our planned departure for Florida - and worked to ensure that we were able to maintain our schedule.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
RobRoy,

I had exactly the same problem last week. The motor started but the burner did not fire. Cycling the diesel switch inside the coach would occaisionally cause ignition but it eventually failed completely.
After much angst and testing it looked like the controller had failed with a fault in the hi-range thermostat circuit. The test document said that meant to replace the controller for $850. Before doing so I decided to confirm that the thermostat itself was actually working. I discovered that the connector on the wire from the thermostat to the controller was loose. Crimping that connector fixed the problem.
I have spent more time an money maintaining the Aquahot than any other system in our coach. I love it when it works, but it raises my blood pressure when it doesn't.
Dr4Film said it right: don't turn it off and it will, over time, run better and better. Leave the Aquahot (diesel) and galley (AC) switches on all the time. Let it sort out what is required to meet the demands for hot water and heat. Engine heat is only used to preheat the diesel before starting on very cold mornings. It takes an hour or two to make a difference. Turn it on when needed and off when not.
BTW, the model number and serila number for our AH was listed on the Monaco build sheet. You can get that from them by supplying either your coach number or your VIN.

Cheers,

Bob