Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua Hot Recovery Tank Level Not Changing

My Aqua Hot Recovery Tank Level is Not Changing as the Tank Cools down. It stays on the HOT Full Mark all of the time. Everything is working as it should, Hot Water and Heat. It just doesn't make sense. I'm dry camping in Quartzsite and I leave it off until I want hot water of heat in the morning and the level never changing.
What's going on?

Tim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your right, doesn't make sense.

Boiler fluid gets hot, it expands. Has to go somewhere!
Old 12-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On top of that I should’ve added the boiler fluid in the recovery tank is not even hot.
Tim
Old 12-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

First thing I would check is the radiator cap.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #5

I suspect that you have air in your system. If there is an air pocket at the top of the tank, it will absorb the expansion and contraction of the fluid. You should top off the tank when it is cold.
Monaco_hwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco_hwy View Post
I suspect that you have air in your system. If there is an air pocket at the top of the tank, it will absorb the expansion and contraction of the fluid. You should top off the tank when it is cold.
I’m a DS. As with almost all Monaco‘s my aqua hot is buried in the center of the coach and I have a lot of plumbing and filters in front of it and I just noticed the hose is snapped off the overflow at the radiator cap. Sorry for wasting anyone’s time.
Tim
Old 12-07-2022, 09:34 PM   #7

The non reinforced hose is junk for AH it gets too hot sitting on top of the unit. You can use good small coolant hose. I stretched it first as not to over stress my cap neck parts. Used a hose barb union to short length of cheap stuff because my recovery tank has plastic hose barb.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I’m a DS. As with almost all Monaco‘s my aqua hot is buried in the center of the coach and I have a lot of plumbing and filters in front of it and I just noticed the hose is snapped off the overflow at the radiator cap. Sorry for wasting anyone’s time.
Tim

If the hose snapped off then you definitely have air in your system. I had the metal tube snap off the filler neck. I discuss my fix in this thread:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/my-...en-598917.html
Monaco_hwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mine was just the rubber hose that broke I have now cut it off a couple inches in and replaced it and the unit has ran and cycled once without any issue. As I said before all of my heater registers and my hot water worked fine so I am hoping I don’t have much air in the system and just let it bleed itself out through cycling. If someone knows for sure that that is not a good idea please let me know.
Tim
Old 12-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #10

Your tank level never got low enough to allow air into the zone lines. You may have to top off your overflow tank a couple of times, but you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Ben, It's seems to be staying at the correct level as it cycles. I don't have any fluid come out of the tube fitting so I don't think I lost anything.
Tim
Old 12-09-2022, 05:15 PM   #12

Check one simple thing first before spending a lot of money and potentially unnecessary worry. There is about a gallon of expansion that occurs with the boiler fluid when heated. I found that the seal on my cap (where boiler fluid can be added) had deteriorated which would allow the boiler fluid to seep from under the cap and down around the neck, down to the bottom of the shroud and then out the bottom of the unit. If the boiler tank is full, at least a gallon or two can escape this way as the heater cycles. If you are fortunate enough to be a victim of this very common failure, you are in luck because the fix is easy, quick and cheap by simply replacing the cap. There is a reason they recommend replacing these caps often, however, it is a maintenance item that gets frequently overlooked. Good Luck!!
Eric Koger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone that responded. It is working correctly after I cut and connected the overflow tube.
Tim

Tags
aqua hot, cover, tank