Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua Hot REPAIR in Salt Lake or Eugene?

Folks,

I have been fighting problems with this system for years. I've worked with Roger Berke and he has been helpful, but the same FTF problem always returns. I'm ready to get other eyes and hands on it.

Do any of you have any experience with the following Aqua Hot Authorized Service providers?

Sonny Clark Mobile Service - Salt Lake City/Ogden
Affordable Mobile RV Service - Eugene
Carrier & Sons - Eugene
Innovative Coach Works - Junction City

We are in SLC through Wednesday and then in western OR for several days.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Folks,

I have been fighting problems with this system for years. I've worked with Roger Berke and he has been helpful, but the same FTF problem always returns. I'm ready to get other eyes and hands on it.

Do any of you have any experience with the following Aqua Hot Authorized Service providers?

Sonny Clark Mobile Service - Salt Lake City/Ogden

Affordable Mobile RV Service - Eugene

Carrier & Sons - Eugene

Innovative Coach Works - Junction City

We are in SLC through Wednesday and then in western OR for several days.

Thanks,

Bob,

Your coach is very closely related to mine. Is your AH a 100-02s? What is your recurring problem?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve,

The major issue is failure to fire (FTF). The secondary problem is that it turns off after completing a normal cycle.

Over a couple of years I have replaced the controller, the black thermostat and the C harness, all in an attempt to fix the FTF problem. All "worked" for a while but it keeps reoccurring. It will run flawlessly for days or weeks, then not. Cycling the switch never causes it to recover.

(The motor also has been rebuilt by Roger Berke, and I replaced the fuel pump for different problems)

I have done the fuel flow, thermostat, flame sensor and igniter tests numerous times and the unit always passes. After testing it works fine again for a while.

It seems like it has to be electrical, and related to the igniter not firing, or not being told to fire.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Bob,

Your coach is very closely related to mine. Is your AH a 100-02s? What is your recurring problem?
Oops: yes it is.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Aqua Hot REPAIR in Salt Lake or Eugene?

Quote:
Hi Steve,

The major issue is failure to fire (FTF). The secondary problem is that it turns off after completing a normal cycle.

Over a couple of years I have replaced the controller, the black thermostat and the C harness, all in an attempt to fix the FTF problem. All "worked" for a while but it keeps reoccurring. It will run flawlessly for days or weeks, then not. Cycling the switch never causes it to recover.

(The motor also has been rebuilt by Roger Berke, and I replaced the fuel pump for different problems)

I have done the fuel flow, thermostat, flame sensor and igniter tests numerous times and the unit always passes. After testing it works fine again for a while.

It seems like it has to be electrical, and related to the igniter not firing, or not being told to fire.

Wow Bob,

That really sucks! Intermittent problems drive me crazy. It does sound like in must be electric. I think yours is a version newer than mine. Do you have the electronic board with the led indicators?

I would never try to second guess your efforts to resolve this problem but in turning it over in my mine the following possibilities come up:
1. The controller. I know you replaced it but could some condition be causing a fault in it. Did you replace the C harness before or after the controller? Does your unit have the separate wire with a diode that keeps current from back feeding from the stir pump to the controller?
2. Possibility of a wire pinched or broken. The harness passes close to areas which are very hot and also through grommets into the burner chamber.

The secondary problem of turning off after a cycle. Does this mean that the light at the burner switch is off & you have to manually cycle the switch to turn it back on? I can't help but think the problems are somehow linked but can't say how. I think your unit is electronic in this regard & mine is purely analog.

At any rate, don't give up. The answer is out there.

EDIT:

I forgot to say, there is a Bosch relay over in the front run bay that is labeled AquaHot. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it's between the switch and the control box. If that relay is intermittent that would interrupt power to the box.

Also, when it fails to fire, does the motor/blower run but doesn't ignite?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #6

Bob,
Had Carrier & Sons install some electronics in my coach last fall. Nothing like your problem, but they did a solid job, at a reasonable cost and time frame. Wouldn't hesitate going back to them if, when the time comes.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Bob,
Had Carrier & Sons install some electronics in my coach last fall. Nothing like your problem, but they did a solid job, at a reasonable cost and time frame. Wouldn't hesitate going back to them if, when the time comes.
Thanks Folio, good to know.

Cheers,
Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Wow Bob,

That really sucks! Intermittent problems drive me crazy. It does sound like in must be electric. I think yours is a version newer than mine. Do you have the electronic board with the led indicators?

I would never try to second guess your efforts to resolve this problem but in turning it over in my mine the following possibilities come up:
1. The controller. I know you replaced it but could some condition be causing a fault in it. Did you replace the C harness before or after the controller? Does your unit have the separate wire with a diode that keeps current from back feeding from the stir pump to the controller?
2. Possibility of a wire pinched or broken. The harness passes close to areas which are very hot and also through grommets into the burner chamber.

The secondary problem of turning off after a cycle. Does this mean that the light at the burner switch is off & you have to manually cycle the switch to turn it back on? I can't help but think the problems are somehow linked but can't say how. I think your unit is electronic in this regard & mine is purely analog.

At any rate, don't give up. The answer is out there.

EDIT:

I forgot to say, there is a Bosch relay over in the front run bay that is labeled AquaHot. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it's between the switch and the control box. If that relay is intermittent that would interrupt power to the box.

Also, when it fails to fire, does the motor/blower run but doesn't ignite?
Hi Steve,

I appreciate your help.

Nope, same model as yours without any display. In order:
1. I am leaning that way, too. The harness was replaced several months after the controller. Yes, it does have the diode wire.
2. I have looked for pinched or broken wires a few times but didn't see any. The C harness replacement was a "hope" fix, not based on any real data, just frustration. I have looked at all of the individual wires in the connectors and none showed any sign of being faulty. I have tugged on every wire I can find and tightened every connection I can see at least twice a year.

I just cleared the problem again by, a. testing the thermostat continuity (good), and b. plugging and unplugging both connectors on the controller. It took about 30 seconds to fire but it did and ran through the full cycle. The light on the switch did go off when the cycle completed, but went to the ready state when cycled.

About all I can think of beyond the controller is the flame sensor. It static tests good but Roger says that test isn't conclusive, it should be tested when the burner is running, something I can't do in the field. I can't imagine the igniter can be intermittent. When the system fires, I hear click and then ignition happens. It has also worked robustly every time I've tested it.

I wish Roger made house calls.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Auto Motion Utah-Auto and Truck Repair 8054 South State Street, Midvale Utah 84047 Call: 801-561-3601 | If it's broke it ain't no joke

I used this place for a chronic check engine light problem and they fixed it.

Made an appointment, took it in and three hours later it was ready. So i recommend them.

On another issue....where are you staying? KOA or Shadow Mountain?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #10

Had the same problems with mine, back and forth for repair driving me nuts. Finally changed the coil for ignition and problem gone. Give that a try. Never could find a number for resistance on old coil so just bought a new one as there was nothing else to change.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Auto Motion Utah-Auto and Truck Repair 8054 South State Street, Midvale Utah 84047 Call: 801-561-3601 | If it's broke it ain't no joke

I used this place for a chronic check engine light problem and they fixed it.

Made an appointment, took it in and three hours later it was ready. So i recommend them.

On another issue....where are you staying? KOA or Shadow Mountain?
Thanks Arch, that's good to know.

We have been at Pony Express since mid-July. Nice park, great management. A little pricey, though.

Cheers,
Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhcorrigan View Post
Had the same problems with mine, back and forth for repair driving me nuts. Finally changed the coil for ignition and problem gone. Give that a try. Never could find a number for resistance on old coil so just bought a new one as there was nothing else to change.
Mh, interesting input, thanks. If I decide to through more parts at it, the two at the top of the list are the igniter and the flame sensor. I was leaning toward the sensor because I wasn't confident that my testing was conclusive. I am hoping that one of the authorized service folks will have a controller tester before I resume guessing.

Cheers,
Old 09-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Mh, interesting input, thanks. If I decide to through more parts at it, the two at the top of the list are the igniter and the flame sensor. I was leaning toward the sensor because I wasn't confident that my testing was conclusive. I am hoping that one of the authorized service folks will have a controller tester before I resume guessing.

Cheers,

If the unit lights and runs, it’s not the flame sensor.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Call John Carillo 970-518-3085.
He rebuilds all the AH for Aquahot.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair