Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Aquahot cavitating

After a normal start the aqua hot seemed to sound like it was caveating.
It has never done that before. Is there a problem? I am boon docking.
First time BD.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Is the coolant fluid at the proper level?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
After a normal start the aqua hot seemed to sound like it was caveating.

It has never done that before. Is there a problem? I am boon docking.

First time BD.

Are you running your generator. If not and your house batteries get a little low & there are other draws, that could cause a problem. The AQ is very sensitive to DC voltage. Can even damage the blower motor on the blower from running too slow which can also cause the combustion chamber to overheat.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Aqua Hot

The coolant is slightly higher than the HOT mark on the container.
We are not running the generator. The voltage is at 12. We are not running anything except one light. The frig is on LP. We have not set up the inverter in any way since we had the battery cut off at the right rear of the coach. And just turned both on at the start of the trip. Thanks Steve/Hubby
Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

ps

We have the furnace off. We were just testing our water heater at the moment. thanks moira
Old 10-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
The coolant is slightly higher than the HOT mark on the container.

We are not running the generator. The voltage is at 12. We are not running anything except one light. The frig is on LP. We have not set up the inverter in any way since we had the battery cut off at the right rear of the coach. And just turned both on at the start of the trip. Thanks Steve/Hubby

12 volts on a 12 volt battery is dangerously low. Crank up the generator for a few minutes & see if the AH sounds different.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

So you can't really get any heat or hot water unless the generator is on, is that correct? Will test with generator on. We have the furnace off. We were just testing the hot water only.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, you dont need your gen to run your Aqua Hot, but it would be a good idea to keep your batteries above 12.2V
Old 10-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
So you can't really get any heat or hot water unless the generator is on, is that correct? Will test with generator on. We have the furnace off. We were just testing the hot water only.

What Wideglide said is correct. The AH is not directly dependent on the generator. It's directly dependent on batteries being at an over 50-60 % state of charge. A fully charged 12 volt battery is at 12.8 volts when at rest. A reading of 12 volts is dangerously low.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #10

The aqua hot is running normally now with the generator on. I guess we can't boondock like I thought we could. I don't know how the batteries got down to 12v, we didn't run a thing last night. thanks guys, moira
Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
The aqua hot is running normally now with the generator on. I guess we can't boondock like I thought we could. I don't know how the batteries got down to 12v, we didn't run a thing last night. thanks guys, moira

Do you know how old your battery's are? Make sure the battery water level is where it should be. Also clean up all the connections in the battery compartment. Too much resistance at the battery connections can prevent the batteries from getting up to full charge.

When boondocking, run the generator for a couple of hours before lights out. Then set the thermostat to about 55 in the front of the coach & 60-65 in the bedroom. Turn the inverter off so you won't have any unintended 12 volt draws. The house batteries should last until morning when you can run the generator & top up them up. If you have "auto gen start" then set that to start the generator at about 50 % state of charge as a fail safe if you aren't somewhere with quite hours.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

My house batteries are reading May 3. I don't know if that is 03 or 13. They are AGM batteries so I do not believe they take water. I do not believe AGM batteries came with this coach so maybe they are 13's. The battery terminals look pretty clean.

We have the generator on now. The battery is reading 13.2V and charging 18 amps.

We have a quiet park after 8pm MT. So we will leave the auto gen off ( I haven't programmed them yet.) And shutoff the inverter before we go to bed.

Right now I have the aqua hot on and the electric water heater on. The aqua hot is cycling on and off. I do not have the furnace on yet. Ill do that before we go to bed. And so should I leave the aqua hot on when we go to bed? thanks moira
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
ps

We have the furnace off. We were just testing our water heater at the moment. thanks moira
AquaHots use both the electrical elements and burner to heat the water and provide heat to the RV. Turn either unit on and you'll get both although the electrical elements (we have two in our unit) would not provide much heat to the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
My house batteries are reading May 3. I don't know if that is 03 or 13. They are AGM batteries so I do not believe they take water. I do not believe AGM batteries came with this coach so maybe they are 13's. The battery terminals look pretty clean.

We have the generator on now. The battery is reading 13.2V and charging 18 amps.

We have a quiet park after 8pm MT. So we will leave the auto gen off ( I haven't programmed them yet.) And shutoff the inverter before we go to bed.

Right now I have the aqua hot on and the electric water heater on. The aqua hot is cycling on and off. I do not have the furnace on yet. Ill do that before we go to bed. And so should I leave the aqua hot on when we go to bed? thanks moira

If you don't need it for cabin heat, I would turn it off. When you crank the generator in the morning, turn on the diesel switch and you will have hot water & cabin heat in 10 minutes or so.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07