Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AquaHot plumbing issue

I recently went thru another leak problem with my AquaHot unit. These problems have been mostly related to the way Monaco installed them but not all of them. The most recent is a Monaco related problem. I have posted this on the Hydronic Heat forum and recieved really good assistance on-line from Roger that made it possible for me to repair it myself.

I'm now posting here to alert other Monaco owners with AquaHot or HydroHot units to take a look at how their units are plumbed.

The leak appeared at the output of hot water to the various faucets in the coach from the AH unit. The fitting is a PEX type and was leaking at a rather brisk drip. I shut off the water to the coach and then looked for a way to isolate the cold supply to the unit so we could use cold water in the rest of the outlets. There is no way to do this in our coach. While I was digging around in that area I noticed that the water supply to the AH unit does not pass thru the filters! The input to the AH is straight off the city water supply pipe. This means that the water going thru the AH for the last 7 yrs is the unfiltered variety.
I've asked on the other forum if there is any reason why the thing is plumbed without a shutoff and taken directly off the raw input water instead of from the filters. There's been no explaination there but it's a low traffic forum specific to Hydronic heating and not how Monaco plumbs their coaches!!.
Anybody have any insights on this?
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

Talking

Our 08 Dynasty has a "monoblock" manifold for all the water lines. Just turn a plastic petcock and you can isolate any part of the system. Why would you need to filter the hot water? Unless you plan on drinking hot water.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Our 08 Dynasty has a "monoblock" manifold for all the water lines. Just turn a plastic petcock and you can isolate any part of the system. Why would you need to filter the hot water? Unless you plan on drinking hot water.
Ours has the Monobloc also, the problem is my AH isn't fed from it. I wish it were.
Filtering the water going into the AH is the same as using distilled water in your steam iron and coffee pot, it prevents mineral buildup that can clog the heat exchanger, a very expensive item to replace.
Ron
Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Filtered water will NOT prevent mineral buildup and deposits. it will only remove solid undissolved particles and also remove odors depending on the type of filters used. A RO system will remove almost anything.

A water softener will reduce the amount of mineral deposits however, it's not the same as distilled water that is pure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #5

dr4film is correct. Many people get confused over ure water, filtered water and distilled water. As for filtering , your stick home woud not have a filter for the hot water heater. I am going to check my monoblock for an AH shutoff.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #6

Pusherpilot: You are correct. There is noonoblock shut off for the aqua hot, I kooked quickly to see if there was a ball valve in the Aquahot area but saw nothing.
2009 Silverado Toad