RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Are codes reliable

Wonder how everybody feels about codes that the computer throws out. Can you depend upon them as if you don't have any codes things should be ok? I know things happen and different company's have better products then others.
Just worried about a motorhome I just purchased show's no codes, and as I asked on this site about rpms it appears they are ok.
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The coes on OBD II systems are very accurate, just not always useful.. For example.. code p0455 indicates a massive leak in the evaporative emmissions control system.

The most common cause of this most common code......

You forgot to put the gas cap back on dummy

But the list of other possible causes is kind of long too, including leak in teh gas tank. But the codes are very accurate.

That said. there are things they have yet to invent sensors for so those can go wrong and you won't get a code. Happened to me. twice so far. (Out of 2 engine repairs on my motor home). In both cases a traied EAR coded (I could HEAR a problem).

On OBD 1 systems... Fewer sensors, more cryptic codes but... I had a code on my OBD 1 Car once, and when I was told just the code class... I knew how to fix it. 2 minutes later all was good.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Follow up questions

Would the computer throw a code if the engine and transmissions were not obtaining the RPMs that is programed into the system at WOT?
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

My 03 Isl 400 dynasty put out a number of codes that were all meaningless when I took it to coach care and called cummins tech support they said if you have a floating ground in the front run power bay the ecm gets really confused and it will give junk errors. Check the grounds on front bay and engine. I run vmspc and look at the diags about once a week while traveling. I had corrosion on the end of the ground cable cleaned put dielectric on and it seems to be all better now...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
Would the computer throw a code if the engine and transmissions were not obtaining the RPMs that is programed into the system at WOT?
Thanks
If you are having a problem reaching the RPM it could mean that you need to calibrate your accelerator. I will past a link I copped a few yrs back.

Walt

At the Spartan Rally, two people complained that they had better acceleration with the cruise control than with the
accelerator pedal. In the Cummins round table discussiion, one of the Cummins' engineers reported that he found that on
some coaches, the accelerator pedals weren't calibrated properly when he put cumputer hookups on the units to check them."

"He explained that the accelerator pedal acts like a potentiometer to tell the Cummins and Allison electronics what's going
on. If normally the pedal reflects a 0 to 100 scale, an out of calibration pedal could, for example, only reflect a 0 to 60
scale reducing engine performance."

"He recommended that everybody calibrate their accelerator pedals. If the pedal is already calibrated, it won't make any
difference -- but for the few units that aren't calibrated, it could make a big difference."

THE PROCEDURE:

Turn the key on to the first position (power on, but NOT starting the engine). You don't have to wait for the meters to
cycle, etc.. Slowly, but steadily push the accelerator pedal to the full acceleration position (pedal to the metal!) and
then release it with a slow, steady motion (do not let off it quickly). Repeat this porcedure a total of THREE times. Then,
turn the key to the OFF position. Leave the key off for a MINIMUM of 30 seconds -- longer is okay, shorter is not.
The electronic modules in the engine and transmission will then recognize this as a calibreation procedure.

The above was at a Spartan/Cummins rally. I don't know if it would apply to your coach. But if you have a Cummins/Allison,
I don't see why it wouldn't apply.

My DSDP ISC 350 runs fine, always has. I tried this procedure on mine and it didn't do anything one way or the other; point
being, to do the procedure may help but it
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote