Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Assist handle light

We have a 2006 HR.
Is there some way I can find out if the assist rail by the door outside was ever lit ?
I don't want to take it off, to find out, if there is a better method
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is a clear acrylic handle. with or without the coach maker's name embossed there is a good chance it was lighted. Easiest way is to remove one end (usually 3 or 4 screws) and pull it off, if there are wires, Lighted. If not pull the handle out of the other end and look for the light.

On my coach the light is in the bottom On Fred's (A campground host I just re-lighted) the top.

But if it's not working, and no mention of it is in the manual or if it's an "option" then the only way to be sure is to remove one end cap and physically inspect the beast.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

I had a Jayco with an acrylic grab handle that was never lighted but I added a blue LED from Radio shack and a resistor to it. I wrapped the whole thing up in foam and slid it back into the mount then, reinstalled the handle. It worked great with a ghostly blue hue at night. WAY COOL!
The hardest part was finding the power and running the wires through the wall and into the handle. I drilled a small hole where the upper mount was and pulled the wires through, then, added dicor to seal the hole.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
They are not hard to convert to lighted if it isn't. Either way, you'll have to remove the top and bottom bracket screws to access the inside. If it is wired, replace with an LED and appropriate resistor. If not, fish wire up from underneath and install an LED. You can get 12 v LEDs wired and ready to install at Radio Shack. I recommend an LED instead of an incandescent bulb for durability and lack of heat.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The handle was never lighted. Lighted handles were on Camelot and above. Many people have added lighting to the handles on Diplomats. Do a search for lighted handle on the forum you should get a number of threads telling you how to add lighting.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Assist handle light

I just read this and had to add this. Neither my 2005 Cayman or my 2012 Knight had a light in their handle but it was not hard to add them. The Cayman was a White light but the Knight is a light that changes Color Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Purple. Looks real good. Both are wired into the step lights. Real easy and cool MOD.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Assist handle light

rguarin – can you give some particulars on where you got the light and how you did the mod? Sounds neat.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we need a new handle for our 2000 Holiday Rambler...lost the origianl in Indiana (hit a mirror on a DOT truck parked way over the white line)..anyone know we could find an acrylic handle (17") on line they seem only to have the stainless or super large...
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Assist handle light

I bought the bulb and socket at Auto Zone. Bulb is a Pilot LED indicator lamp LI- 194M 7 color. Socket was a 194 bulb socket. Just remove the handle drill a hole all the way through the wall if U are lucky it will come out inside the passenger console. Then locate the switch for the step lights use a double connect stake on to the load side of the switch. I did drill a bigger hole in the bottom metal part of the handle and also in to the Plastic handle itself. Two other guys helped me we were drink BEER and looking for something to do.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #10

Here's a schematic that might apply to your unit. Ours is an '06 Dynasty, and there is applicability to the Holiday line, as well. It will give you an idea where to look, as well as how to troubleshoot the system.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic - Lights, Stepwell Grabhandles.pdf (82.8 KB, 127 views)
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For those looking for the LED light, I tried a couple and experimented with their brightness, wasting money. I finally went to Monaco (several years ago) and bought the LED they sell fro the handle, it was surprisingly cheap for Monaco, $9.00.

I also wired mine int the step liighs. Keep in mind, Monaco uses the ground/negative wire t switch their lights.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
2x don. Also remember led lights have a positive and negative side. If it doesn't light, swap the wires the other way.
I bought my led from Monaco a few months ago. $10. Cheap enough.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
YC1

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ligh...dle-94237.html

Since doing this mod I changed the bulb to a color changing led. Really cool and not too bright. Do a search using Lighted handle for more results.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote