Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
At Elkhart Sales & Service and need help ASAP

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for reading my post. I am presently at ESS with a problem that has Tom stumped and am hoping for some guidance from the group.

Coach is a Holiday Rambler Navigator, 2008, model Caspian IV.

Problem is: I have lost power to my dryer. I have a stacked washer dryer.

We have an Automatic Energy select switch in the rear DS closet that is supposed to manage my dryer and Aqua hot # 2 leg (high).

There is no power coming into the Auto Energy select switch. The power wire coming into the box has written on it “Relay 2”. Tom is suspecting the problem is with this relay # 2.

Tom or I can not find the “Relay 2”. Does anyone have any clue where this may be?

One very odd thing going on is that the Aqua hot leg 2 is working fine so it must be getting power from somewhere else other than this Auto Energy Select switch.

All ideas and help are welcome.

If anyone would like to give me a call to discuss my phone is: 802-734-0191

Stuart Offer
2008 HR Nav.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Shot in the dark here;

Can you turn the power off to the leg and use a tone generator from home depot to help you trace the wire switch locations? It might work.

Maybe something like this;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zNWBWxCDlS_5h6
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Relay for mine is under the TV in the bedroom. Don’t ask me why. Found by accident when WD lost power.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for your responses,

okcnewbie, I can suggest the tone generator, however it appears that there may be a cut wire somewhere in the roof.

Jerry, I looked around the tv but no luck.

Stuart
Old 07-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think I would probably make the decision to just wire it separately from the AES module if the repair was going to be too difficult.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked in the circuit breaker box? Monaco likes to place these in the corner of the load center but I've seen some in crazy locations.
Have you located the circuit breaker that supplies power to the auto energy select?
I'm guessing for the dryer it's a double 220v breaker saddling two legs (make sure your tech understands this as most RV's do not use 220v dryers). Make sure power is coming out of both sides of this breaker.

I don't understand how the Aqua Hot can have power if the energy select has no power? Do you think a previous owner could have rewired it? Maybe the Aqua Hot only uses one leg of the 220v power and the other leg is dead?

Do all three of your AC/Heat Pumps work? At least one of these is usually split on a load sharing system as well.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your responses. It has been a frustrating few days. Sorry for the long post but there is a lot going on.

Here is some feedback and history of this problem.

1. We have the stacked washer/dryer and the dryer is on a 120 volt line not a 240 volt line.
2. I have two Automatic Energy Select Switch boxes:
first box switches (turns on and off) the washing machine and the zone 3 ac/heat pump.
Second box switches (turns on and off) the 120 volt dryer and the second aquahot element.
The first box is working fine.
The second box is is the problem child.
3. Every breaker has current going out of each breaker at the 110 breaker box.
4. All ACs are working and all other appliances are working.

A little history: a few months ago my second aquahot electric element went dead. Everything else was working fine, even the dryer that shares the Automatic Energy Select switch box was working fine.

I brought the coach to Motorhomes of Texas for the repair. They found no current going to the aquahot for the second (high) element at the aquahot unit. They did not look at the energy management box but they should have.

The tech at M of T dismantled my pantry closet on the drivers side and found a dead wire using a non contact electrical tester (pencil type tool). The tech's assumption was that there was a break in the wire coming out of the breaker box and along the roof going to the Aquahot.

He then proceeded to run a new wire from the breaker box along the crown molding above the drivers side living room slide and splice the dead wire in the pantry cabinet going down to the aquahot unit. This solved the problem and the aquahot's second element was now working.

We left TX and fast forward a few days. We went to use the dryer and it did not work. I was not able to have it looked at until yesterday.

Here at Elkhart Sales & Service Tom checked out the Automatic Energy Select Switch. He found there was no power coming into the box and could not find where the break in current was from. Again, an assumption something in the roof cut the wire.

It appears that the tech from Motorhomes of TX tapped into the line that came out of the Select Switch box and was heading down to the aquahot, bypassing the box.

It is a strange coincidence that the dryer stopped working after I left Motorhomes of TX. I can not for the life of me imagine that by bypassing the select switch box and tapping directly into the line going to the aquahot did anything foul to the current going into the select switch box but I could be wrong.

Another odd thing, we lost power to a few 110 outlets in my basement compartments. Everything else in the coach is working fine.

Just to make sure I was covering all bases I called Elite RV repair in Harrisburg, OR to ask for their advice and to consult with Tom here at ESS. The folks at Elite discussed the problem with Tom at ESS and no one could make sense of the series of events.

Tom and I discussed a workaround for the moment and I will try to find out if a repair can be done to bring everything back to normal in the future.

Here is the workaround: There was a dedicated 110 line next to the two energy select switches for the engine block heater. Tom disabled the block heater and powered the dryer directly from this line. Now I have a direct line to the aquahot, second element and a direct line to the dryer and no block heater. I am never in cold weather so this is not a big deal. For now everything is working fine except three outlet in my basement compartment.

Big Kudos to Tom here at ESS and the guys at Elite for being patient and working hard trying to figure this mess out.

I would love to continue to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Stuart Offer
08 HR Nav
Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here is an update on my problem. Everything is fixed and working as it should. I hope this issue may help someone else who may have the same thing happen.

Here is a recap of everything. The initial problem was no aquahot electric element # 2 (high). The fix was a simple one: replace a burned out Intellitec automatic energy switch box.

The intervening problem was when I brought the coach to Motorhomes of Texas to have the aquahot element fixed they did not look at the intellitec box and assumed the problem was from a break in the wire supplying the aquahot element. They totally botched the repair by bypassing the Intellitec box and supplying power directly to the aquahot #2 element.

This botched repair killed the power to the Intellitec box and by doing this also killed the power to my clothes dryer. The solution was to replace the burned out Intellitec Auto energy switch box and restore the original wire to the Intellitec box. Simple and easy fix. Now everything is great.

I want to give a big thank you to Tom the tech here at Elkhart S&S, and all the other forum members who sent information.

Stuart
Old 07-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Since I now have the exact same coach... THANKS ! Did you ever find the 2 12V relays that send power to the block heater and 2nd AHot element? On my 04 Dynasty they were next to the 120V sub/inverter panel, but it did not have the Multiplex system. I need to learn more about the Multiplex while it’s working.

While I have the stacked W/D I do not have a switch for my dryer and I have two electric AHot switches... 110V and 110V Hi (second element). Guess it may not be exactly the same.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
I brought the coach to Motorhomes of Texas

This botched repair
Stuart
I would let MoT know about this. Not to yell at them, but to let them know so the tTech will be aware to check the Intellitec next time. It's a learning opportunity for MoT.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ivylog,

We found the relay to the block heater (12 volt). It was right next to the two Intellitec enegery management boxes. The block heater relay was in a blue plastic Junction box.

All of this is in the rear bedroom closet inside another cabinet on the driver's side wall,at the bottom of the closet.

I have been in touch with Motorhomes of Texas and will be having them pay the bill at Elkhart Sales & Service.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forgot to mention that we were unable to find any relay for the Aquahot high feed.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Which Intellitec board was bad...processing board or the latching relays board? I’m thinking of buying spare boards as it seems it’s not if you’ll have problems, it’s when. I’m capable of swapping boards without going to TX or IN at $100+\hour.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ivylog,

The box I was referring to was the Itellitec "Automatic Energy Select Switch"
The number on the box is 00-00714-000.

You can purchase a new box at Master Techs, phone
800.848.0558. A new box was about $75.

I tried to attach a photo of this and hope it gets attached to this response.

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intellitec box.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	212737  

Tags
need help, sale, service