Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #29

I called Monaco Tech support and asked about the ATC warning light being triggered by a fuel filter beginning to plug up.
He told me that when the ATC light was “on” the traction control system was “off”.
The conversation sounded something like (not to worry, us smart people know all about this and its OK). Not to worry, not to worry. Go back to sleep.
Light “on”, ATC “off”.
That sounded very wrong until I remembered that the traction control system is “on” all the time.
So it seems that when the “warning light” comes “on” it’s telling me that the traction control system is “off”.
OK, that seems to follow logically.
But wait one!
Why is a plugged fuel filter turning off my traction control system?
But wait two!
That means if I have a plugged filter and the ATC light is “on” I need to stay away from all that snow and slippery stuff because my auto traction control is “off” and it’s not going to be there when I need it.
I’m pretty sure there is a design flaw with the ATC system and Monaco has made a decision not fix the problem because they have a built in “GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD”.
Their response will be: If you’re ATC warning light was on, you should have never driven up into the snow area, and suffered this accident, because the warning light was on telling you that there was something wrong with the traction control system.
Would a large cooperation do something like that?
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Never, never, never stop asking questions.
Monaco technical support, 877-466-6226
bobrw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrw9 View Post
I called Monaco Tech support and asked about the ATC warning light being triggered by a fuel filter beginning to plug up.
He told me that when the ATC light was “on” the traction control system was “off”.
The conversation sounded something like (not to worry, us smart people know all about this and its OK). Not to worry, not to worry. Go back to sleep.
Light “on”, ATC “off”.
That sounded very wrong until I remembered that the traction control system is “on” all the time.
So it seems that when the “warning light” comes “on” it’s telling me that the traction control system is “off”.
OK, that seems to follow logically.
But wait one!
Why is a plugged fuel filter turning off my traction control system?
But wait two!
That means if I have a plugged filter and the ATC light is “on” I need to stay away from all that snow and slippery stuff because my auto traction control is “off” and it’s not going to be there when I need it.
I’m pretty sure there is a design flaw with the ATC system and Monaco has made a decision not fix the problem because they have a built in “GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD”.
Their response will be: If you’re ATC warning light was on, you should have never driven up into the snow area, and suffered this accident, because the warning light was on telling you that there was something wrong with the traction control system.
Would a large cooperation do something like that?
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Never, never, never stop asking questions.
Monaco technical support, 877-466-6226
Please do not take take this the wrong way, but if this light is bothering you so much I would spend the dollars to redesign this "flaw" or sell the coach. Unless you have a brand new Monaco they simply will do nothing as they are not obligated to do anything since they went bankrupt and reorganized. Also I almost get stuck in the mud once when my fuel filters were partial clogged and my traction control worked good enough for me to get it out.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #31

Just for information...the ATC system is not a Monaco system but is designed and built by Eaton as is the ABS system which works with the ATC. Both of the systems are used on trucks and buses.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #32

I just reread the ATC section of my manual and what I can get out of that is that a blocked fuel filter results in decreased torque out of the motor so the ATC ECU thinks that it is an ATC event so it flashes the indicator light. Now it has me interested in why so I am going to see if I can find out exactly why.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I just reread the ATC section of my manual and what I can get out of that is that a blocked fuel filter results in decreased torque out of the motor so the ATC ECU thinks that it is an ATC event so it flashes the indicator light. Now it has me interested in why so I am going to see if I can find out exactly why.
Mike,

My understanding is that the ATC ECU reduces fuel to the engine when the ABS sensors detect wheel slippage. The theory is that reduced torque to the rear wheels will prevent wheel slippage. I don't believe the differential is of the Eaton locking type.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
The EXACT symptoms with regards to the ATC light and clogged fuel filters is that the ATC light will blink on and off erratically, it will not STAY on continuously nor will it flash rhythmically.

The following has been taken directly from the Eaton ABS/ATC Owners Manual.

ATC Indicator Light

1) The ATC indicator operates when a vehicle is equipped with the optional Automatic Traction System.

2)Lights at key-ON and remains lit until the driver presses the brake pedal. (When operating as a "spin" indicator the light turns off after a 1.8 Sec
lamp check. See note below.)

3)Flashes slowly when the "mud-and-snow" mode is selected and then flashes more rapidly when the automatic traction control system operates.

4)Lights continuously to indicate that ATC is active but the "mud-and-snow" mode has not been activated.

5)Remains on if an engine data link failure occurs.

My coach has the Mud/Snow Optional Momentary Switch on the driver's dash and that operation is explained below.

Mud and snow switch (optional): when activated,this mode allows greater wheel spin (more torque). It is intended for adverse conditions, usually off-highway. Except for special cases, the switch is programmed for momentary operation. ATC reverts to normal operation when the switch is cycled a second time and whenever the system goes through a power up cycle.

I like it the way it is. No changes for me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #35

Bob, it is not a Eaton locking differential but the ABS And the ATC is made by Eaton