Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

attaching a propane grille to the coach tank

Has anyone out there put a flexible hose to use their grille/bar-b-que and have it run off the coaches propane tank? The small tanks are a pain to refill when there is no place to refill them. I thought that if there was a way to use the coach tank with a long flex hose it would free up storage..my DW would love that..Or is this a saftey concern?? Just wondering...

Ted
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a hose available to do just what you are thinking ... I just cannot find one on the internet this moment. I'm sure someone will chime in and help you with an exact place to find it. If nothing else go to a dealer. I'm sure they all have them.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is what you need. it is called the Extend-a-flow I have it installed and mine works great. I run my small Webber gas grill and a small gas 'camp fire'.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
Has anyone out there put a flexible hose to use their grille/bar-b-que and have it run off the coaches propane tank? The small tanks are a pain to refill when there is no place to refill them. I thought that if there was a way to use the coach tank with a long flex hose it would free up storage..my DW would love that..Or is this a saftey concern?? Just wondering...

Ted
We've been considering the same thing. It's important to note that - depending on the coach manufacturer - there is a difference between HIGH and LOW pressure propane gas delivery to the BBQ grill outlet on the coach. Some outlets provide a connection AFTER the pressure regulator on the main propane tank which provides LOW pressure to the BBQ, and others are BEFORE the regulator which provide HIGH pressure to the BBQ.

Our 2012 Discovery 36J has a nicely located propane outlet, however the outlet is LOW pressure. The Coleman Roadmate LXE grill we have requires HIGH pressure, since it has its own regulator. Therein lies the problem.

Trying to find a ready made converter/hose that will deliver LOW pressure gas to the BBQ has been close to impossible. Our local propane company will happily make an adapter/hose for us, but it will be about $100. That's a lot of propane canisters.

If you buy the appropriate LOW pressure BBQ grill, then the connection is easily done, if you have the LOW pressure outlet on the coach. We bought the grill first - should have checked, but the DW loved the red BBQ.

Hope that helps...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

If you have a low pressure set up on your coach all you have to do is remove the regulator on the barbecue and get a hose and fittings to hook up. Works great on my 2011 diplomat with weber
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar2002 View Post
If you have a low pressure set up on your coach all you have to do is remove the regulator on the barbecue and get a hose and fittings to hook up. Works great on my 2011 diplomat with weber
If only it were that simple in our situation, but I think it's an issue with the Coleman Roadmate XLE. The regulator is built into the connector for the propane canister. Finding a connector to attach to the grill, then to a hose, is the problem we've faced.

We live in a small rural town, but our propane guru seems pretty well versed on the connector problem. If others have converted the Coleman Roadmate LXE to work directly from a low pressure coach connector, we'd love to hear how. The easier way would have been to have purchased a suitable grill that's easy to adapt. But again, the DW loves the red BBQ...
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a post where I did just that. Do a search on "propane line" in Monaco Forum around 6/04/11 and it is in there by djhinds with pictures and explanations. It was very easy to do. Contact me if you need help.

djhinds68@comcast.net

Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

My webers regulator also had hookup to it all you need are some fittings which I got at local hardware store and it woks great
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #9

We also have the red coleman bar-b-que. Purchased it at camping world last year when we were in Vegas. Never thought about low or high pressure..just my luck it will be the wrong model...After hearing from all of you out there, now I know it can be done..I just had a thought..Does the coach propane tank need to be empty in order to put the new fittings on for the bar-b-que?? My coach is sleeping in storage for the winter up here so I can't check it out..

Thx to all
Ted
Old 03-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
djhinds and newmar2002, thanks for the encouragement! I'll have to stop by the hardware store next time we're in the 'big city"!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I use the "Extend-A-Stay Deluxe" and a Webber Baby Q. (120).

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long
I use the "Extend-A-Stay Deluxe" and a Webber Baby Q. (120).
We've been using the same for over a year. We run our grill with it and I also use the aux tank option. With the extra 20lb tank, we can go 2 months before needing more propane. When we do, its usually easier for us to fill the extra tank than haul everything someplace to fill the RV tank.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I may, for those of you who have been successful, please take a look at the following pictures of the connector going to the Coleman Roadmate LXE grill, and let me know if you've been able to adapt this type of connector to a propane hose that will connect to the coach low pressure outlet. This connection has been the major problem in attaching the grill to the BBQ low pressure outlet on the Discovery 36J.

I apologize to the OP if I've hijacked the thread...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	18984   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	18985  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	18986  
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess is you unscrew the brass fitting from the chrome tube and connect it to a new hose eliminating the tube and regulator.

Mike

Tags
propane, tank