Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 01:34 AM   #1

Attempting to make a short list for a class A Gas

Hello folks,
I am starting to make a short list for a new class A gas MH. Tonight I surfed on a site that the Monaco Trek on it and I looked at the online printed PDF.
What I saw sparked my interest in the product. As it's just me and my bride of almost 41 years and one small dog, a 107 lb Bernese Mountain Dog who is trained and certified Therapy Dog our two son's have been out of the nest for a number of years now so we can now get to hitting the road and seeing most of the 50 states.
What I am asking is for advice with the Monaco brand of motor home and for sure the model Trek. We want to keep the size of the motorhome in the range of 26 to 29. Has anyone on this forum have any experience ,knowledge or experience with the Trek that they might like to share with me in hopes I can make the best choice for the bride, the pooch Hans and the old piper... me! I would also like to know a bit about the service, customer support and warranty repair support from Monaco. If you could also give me a bit of knowledge on dealers who are good to work with or who to stay away from. I do hope you might be able to assist me.
K9Piper (Mike)
K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can't help you with the gas MH, I've no experience with them other than riding in my SIL's. Monaco customer service has been great even on an older MH like mine.

Good luck, enjoy the search.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Trek

If you are referring to a Safari Trek. There is a forum just for them goggle it for all or any information you could want has Classified ads also. We had a beautiful Trek and it had what is called a magic bed that dropped down from the ceiling which stopped about 30+" from the floor. Found it to be a p.i.a. getting in and out and had to deal with dogs getting in and out. Hope this helps out. Keep digging and you will find your new m.h. They are everywhere. Good luck other questions asked away. The Floorplan is very important as needs to fit/fill your needs. We hated corner beds.
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Piper View Post
Monaco Trek
Hi Mike - We just purchased a 2016 Monaco Trek 26HMD. It should not be confused with the older Trek's by Safari. The 2016 is much like the Fleetwood Flair and is made by REV Recreation Group that owns both the Monaco and Fleetwood brand names. The 2016 Monaco Trek was a prototype and they will not release a 2017 model. Instead I understand some of the 2016 Monaco Trek features will end up in a Holiday Rambler coach which is another REV Recreation Group brand. If this is the one you are interested in I can provide additional information.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #5

Bill and Laurie,
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that they will not make another Trek as I thought this one would be the keeper. I have looked at so many Class A's small one's , big one's and in betweens, and now to find that the TREK will be handing over some finer things into Holiday Rambler.
What I found in the TREK that was smack on for our needs was what got me on the short list all at once. We likes the REC/ROOM and the floor plan was just about what we wanted and one big thing with us is it was pet friendly and when that was noticed it was like icing on the cake because we are huge canine people. When a company goes that extra step to ensure our furry friends are taken care of so should the human part be as well. In our eyes the TREK seemed to be perfection to us.
So now the short list becomes longer once again and that is so bothersome as well as sad.
As you stated that the TREK will not be back for 2017 that brings up an additional concern of warranty, service , parts and such. I never actually liked the idea of a brand or model being offered and then pulled from the market with this thinking in mind ( if the model was a pure dog and the sales were down the crapper why would I want one where as in the future all sorts of problems might show up. Hassles I do not need.
In closing I would like to thank you for your comments and for being up front with me about the likely no show in 2017. That's too bad as we thought we found all we needed. Enjoy your Trek and have fun on the road safe fun. All the best to you folks.

Mike aka the K9Piper ( just an old military dog handler / trainer who plays the Great Highland Bagpipe)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #6

Quote:
As you stated that the TREK will not be back for 2017 that brings up an additional concern of warranty, service , parts and such.
We also had a concern on warranty, service, parts and such. That concern lessened as we dug into it and also as we became familiar with the Fleetwood Flair 26D & 26E. Those two units were what we were after initially and how we came upon the Monaco.

The F53 chassis and Triton V10 engine are Ford. So we are protected there from the warranty and future service perspective. The tires are Goodyear. Shocks are Bilstein. TV's are Sansui and radios are Jensen. The generator is a Cummins Onan. So all protected and future proofed on all those as well. The refrigerator is Dometic as is the porcelain toilet, the automatic hydraulic levelers and kitchenette slide are Power Gear so protected and future proofed as far as service on all those too.

Then we found out unlike the old days where RV manufacturers built all the pieces themselves that went into their coaches which created distinctions in brands, these days manufacturers now buy off the self from third party suppliers and integrate items made by their suppliers on their assembly lines. You may have found many things look the same across many of the brands these days. So we have a reasonable expectation if we need to replace something we will be able to find it in the marketplace.

Anyway our analysis drove us to an offering price that we felt mitigated the risk to this being a prototype. But you never know and each person's risk tolerance varies. While we have only had the coach for a few weeks we are comfortable with the purchase.

Just thought we would share our perspective. This coach fit our needs based upon our mission the best when it came to size, ability to pull our toad and budget. Time will tell how we did!

Good luck searching and have fun with your purchase!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

Hi guys,
Thanks for your reply and your view on the Trek and another way to look at the entire picture. I did a search and look at a few HR which I thought would fit the bill but they just didn't move me like the Trek.
Everything that you posted in your reply sure made more + than - and that seems to be a good start on looking for and at a used one with as low miles on it that I can find. So that will be perhaps the way to go.
I have a dealer less than an hour and a half north away from our home. I have not had a reply from him so far from my email but who knows perhaps in a week or so.
I do not know how many the made of the Trek but again I might have to contact AGR for that info. If they made a few perhaps here might be a few new out there as I write and if not perhaps a few newer used ones might be out there as well.
The only thing I do question is the bed in the Rec Room when in the up position what would be the clearance of your head be? When I looked at the clips I noticed most everyone was sitting below the bed when it was in the up position. If it was between 5 Ft 5 In to 6 ft I would not think that would be any real problem for me and the bride. I know it wouldn't be an all the time living thing for us year round but a month or two at a time would be more to our plans.
I'll close now by saying thanks again . The Trek is still a work in the planning stages. All the best guys!
Mike aka the K9Piper
Old 06-12-2016, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
between 5 Ft 5 In to 6 ft
Mike, I just went and measured it. It is 69 & 3/4 inches under the bed in back. I am 6ft and have to lean my head forward a bit when I go to access the center wardrobe. My wife is 5'1" so it works well for her. While we are not yet full timers she really liked the additional wardrobe space. I hope that helps.

One more thought. When the bed is down you cannot have anything in the rear access trunk. You travel with the bed up, so the trunk space is available. So far we don't have a need to put anything in the rear trunk. We put out camp chairs, camp table, awning mat and a few other things in the pass through storage which is located ~ midway along the coach length. While it is not very high there is a lot of space there in the pass through.
~ Bill
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #9

Bill,
I thank you for sending me the measurements on the rear drop down bed in the up position as well as the insight on the rear trunk. I thought that might be the way it is and to me that is not a problem at all as there is just me the bride and the dog makes us three. Thanks again for your assistance.
Mike aka the K9Piper
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

K9Piper did you make a purchase?

Quick update on the 2016 Monaco Trek. After 5 months and 3000+ miles no major issues have developed. Hope this trend continues.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #11

TREK Tracks forum http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/active.asp
Check "Web Links" for brochures and floorplans of every Trek made except the 2016 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOKER View Post
If you are referring to a Safari Trek. There is a forum just for them goggle it for all or any information you could want has Classified ads also. We had a beautiful Trek and it had what is called a magic bed that dropped down from the ceiling which stopped about 30+" from the floor. Found it to be a p.i.a. getting in and out and had to deal with dogs getting in and out. Hope this helps out. Keep digging and you will find your new m.h. They are everywhere. Good luck other questions asked away. The Floorplan is very important as needs to fit/fill your needs. We hated corner beds.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

From my experience, you may want to consider a slightly larger coach if you plan to visit all over the country.

Take a look at a Monaco Monach 33SFS. It has a full length slide which offers a tremendous amount of storage space in a relatively small package.

2010 Monaco MONARCH 33SFS, Denton TX - - RVtrader.com

The Workhorse chassis and engine combination is great as is the Allison 6 speed transmission. There is a lot of basement storage as well as a pass thru large enough to carry a step ladder.
JaMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Came across this thread and thought I'd try to wake it up again. Mike, what coach did you finally decide on, or has it happened yet?

Bill, are you still satisfied with your Trek?

I'm in process of purchasing the Holiday Rambler version of this one, a '16 26DT. I see on the HR website it has been relabeled as the 26D for '17. As discussed last year, it is identical to the Fleetwood Flair.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas