Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Auto air leveling pump plumbing

Good day everyone, we have a 09 Monaco Camelot 42DSQ and it is air leveling only. There is a tank mounted up inside the RH front corner and every so often I can hear an electric pump run for a few seconds. My issue is that over a period of 2 to 3 weeks my suspension drops down and loses all the air. Then I have to start the rig, air up then relevel. I am under the assumption that this tank and pump are in place to keep the air suspension aired up to stay level for extended periods.
Now I did hear somewhere that this system was improperly plumbed from the factory and it was a simple case of moving a one way check value from one hose into a different hose. Is there any truth to this and if so does anyone know what I need to do to rectify my issue?
Thank you all so much in advance.
Mdpuff.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you leaving the leveling system in 'Auto mode'? The power and auto mode led's flashing every couple of seconds?
Old 12-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Good day everyone, we have a 09 Monaco Camelot 42DSQ and it is air leveling only. There is a tank mounted up inside the RH front corner and every so often I can hear an electric pump run for a few seconds. My issue is that over a period of 2 to 3 weeks my suspension drops down and loses all the air. Then I have to start the rig, air up then relevel. I am under the assumption that this tank and pump are in place to keep the air suspension aired up to stay level for extended periods.
Now I did hear somewhere that this system was improperly plumbed from the factory and it was a simple case of moving a one way check value from one hose into a different hose. Is there any truth to this and if so does anyone know what I need to do to rectify my issue?
Thank you all so much in advance.
Mdpuff.
yes, that is true. Many coaches were plumbed wrong, and it will cause the pump to short cycle periodically. Sounds like you have the symptoms.

Try posting some pictures of your air lines coming out of aux pump, through the T and up to the pressure switch. We're looking for the location of that check valve.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the factory plumbed it wrong. I had to change mine.

On mine, the check valve is on the compressor and then a ‘T’ is attached. One side of the ‘T’ goes to the tank and the other side goes to the pressure switch. This is for the Valid ‘air only’ leveling system.

BTW - request the manual from Valid. There is a lot of customization you can do…like changing the interval for ‘wake up’ time for level recheck.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I do leave it in auto mode.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks tankcj for the info. Do you know where I can contact Valid to request a manual?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
And Windsorbill, I will see if I can get in there and get a picture of the plumbing to identify the check valve. I have no idea what it looks like?
Old 12-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks tankcj for the info. Do you know where I can contact Valid to request a manual?

Thanks.
https://validmfg.com/product/vehicle-leveling-system/
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Thanks.

I have the 2009 Camelot PDQ, hereís the manual:

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/68/08/4DE65232-3C2B-4156-9B51-6611EAB29BC0/FILE_4998.pdf
Old 12-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
And Windsorbill, I will see if I can get in there and get a picture of the plumbing to identify the check valve. I have no idea what it looks like?
I understand. Take a picture back far enough to get the air hose coming out of the compressor, the 'T" and the pressure switch. The pressure switch has 2 wires attached to it. It's not a very big area, but sometimes hard to take pictures under the coach. Possibly take multiple pictures. Are you at home or on a trip?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We are wintering in Arizona and it's a bit of a pain to start the coach, air up and relevel every couple of weeks. I would like to get this sorted out.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #12

Do you ever see the lights on the panel illuminate, and maybe feel the coach shift a bit? Unless the system has been re-adjusted by a previous owner, this should occur every 2 hours while in auto mode. If the sensors are happy with the level, you wouldn't feel or hear anything, but the panel should still light up for a few seconds.

Another thing, in auto mode, the system tries to level your coach at the lowest height possible, to make the entry step as low as possible. So, the system lowering your coach isn't unheard of especially if your parked on a very level site. Is the coach going off level over time, or just lowering itself?
Old 12-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Ben,

He says in OP that he looses all air and only engine will re-supply the system. To me that means he has a leak somewhere (not real big since he only has to do it every few weeks), but also the aux pump is not coming on long enough to fill the small air tank for the leveling (it doesn't fill the entire system).

He also mentions that he "does hear the aux pump come on periodically for a few seconds". That statement alone tells me his check valve is likely plumbed wrong. I know of several Camelots, Windsors (including mine) and a couple dynasty's that were done that way. I know Perry's 08 camelot was effected, not sure about Harry's. Also John Wentz's Beaver (sold it), had the issue.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #14

Or, is his pressure switch faulty.

I would open the drain on the leveling tank. The pressure coming out will tell you if your getting a full 120psi out of the pump, or if maybe the switch is shutting it down early.

I would say my compressor needs to run about 30sec to get the leveling tank back to 120psi from 90psi.

Tags
air, leveling, plumbing, pump